Re: [XSL-FO] Re: OEBPS and XSLFO

  • Jim White
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 11, 2002
      Avi Nahir wrote:
      > --- In XSL-FO@yahoogroups.com, Jim White <jim@p...> wrote:
      >> ... OEBPS could even be an application for XSL processing if one
      >> had a comprehensive XHTML + CSS XSL stylesheet, which would make
      >> implementing OEBPS a fairly simple task.
      >
      > Are you saying that OEBPS is a proper subset of XSLFO (i.e. less
      > powerful and can be implement using XSLFO)? If so, why isn't it
      > discarded before it gets mass market?

      No, I'm saying that because XSL is a general purpose XML processing and
      formatting language that it could (and may already) be used to implement
      a OEBPS rendering system. The converse is not the case.

      As for why the eBooks folks would use a less capable format, that is
      easy to understand. They have a limited domain and are interested in
      conforming implementations for that application of XML ASAP.

      Efforts such as Dublin Core and the W3C Semantic Web Activity provide
      the evolutionary path for these disparate islands of
      application-oriented languages to eventually merge.

      Jim
    • Avi Nahir <avi_nahir@yahoo.com>
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 12, 2002
        Thanks, Jim!