Relative positioning

  • Rabi Shanker
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 2, 2001
      hi hi,
      i got a small doubt. hope u could help me. i am trying to place some
      containers in a page. if one container is big i want the second container
      to be placed relatively. if it is small again it should be placed
      accordingly. could u suggest some technique for this. i tried with the
      fo:block-container position property to relative. but it didnt work. could
      u help?
      cheers!!!
      Rabi.

    • Luther Blisset
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 11, 2002
        Hi, I'm trying to build a document that contains a section that contains elements with a relative position inside of it. I'm trying with fo:block-container and fo:blocks with position="relative" inside of it, bue without success.

        Any suggestion?

        Follows my xsl:fo:

        <fo:page-sequence master-name="PageMaster">

        <fo:flow flow-name="xsl-region-body">

        <fo:block-container width="200m" height="200mm" left="0mm" top="297mm" position="relative">

        <fo:block left="100mm" top="00mm" position="relative" font-size="14pt" color="yellow">aggiunto</fo:block>

        <fo:block left="70mm" bottom="100mm" position="relative" font-size="14pt" color="red">Oliviero</fo:block>

        </fo:block-container>

        </fo:flow>

        </fo:page-sequence>

        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 14, 2002
          At 2002-06-11 09:08 -0700, Luther Blisset wrote:
          >Hi, I'm trying to build a document that contains a section that contains
          >elements with a relative position inside of it. I'm trying with
          >fo:block-container and fo:blocks with position="relative" inside of it,
          >bue without success.

          You may just be running into a limitation of implementation. The
          documentation files for each of RenderX and Antenna House indicate that the
          relative-position= property is not yet supported in either product. The
          position= property is just a shorthand and relies on the implementation of
          the relative-position= property.

          Can you convert all your algorithms to absolute in your stylesheet?

          ......... Ken

          --
          Upcoming: 3-days XSLT/XPath and/or 2-days XSL-FO:Sep 30-Oct 4,2002

          ISBN 0-13-065196-6 Definitive XSLT and XPath
          ISBN 1-894049-07-1 Practical Formatting Using XSLFO
          XSL/XML/DSSSL/SGML/OmniMark services, books (electronic, printed),
          articles, training (instructor-live,Internet-live,web/CD,licensed)
          Next public training: 2002-06-11,13,14,08-05,26,27,09-30,10-03
        • javasize
          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 14, 2002
            --- In XSL-FO@y..., "G. Ken Holman" <gkholman@c...> wrote:

            > Can you convert all your algorithms to absolute in your stylesheet?

            My problem is that I know the XSLT file to use to create xsl:fo but I
            don't know XML composition before to use it. I' sure that XML, and
            then my document is a sequence of sections of fixed structure, but I
            know the exact composition of the sequence of each XML file only when
            I have to build xsl:fo and then pdf.
            I thought the solution could be in some kind of "relative
            positioning" in the single section but it's hard for me, and for the
            state of my practice and acquaintance with xsl:fo, to understand how.

            > ......... Ken
            Thanx,
            L.B.
            Message 5 of 5 , Jun 14, 2002
              At 2002-06-14 13:32 +0000, javasize wrote:
              >--- In XSL-FO@y..., "G. Ken Holman" <gkholman@c...> wrote:
              > >
              > > Can you convert all your algorithms to absolute in your stylesheet?
              >
              >My problem is that I know the XSLT file to use to create xsl:fo but I
              >don't know XML composition before to use it. I' sure that XML, and
              >then my document is a sequence of sections of fixed structure, but I
              >know the exact composition of the sequence of each XML file only when
              >I have to build xsl:fo and then pdf.
              >I thought the solution could be in some kind of "relative
              >positioning" in the single section

              Yes, indeed it is exactly there.

              >but it's hard for me, and for the
              >state of my practice and acquaintance with xsl:fo, to understand how.

              But I think you do understand how ... my point is that no matter how
              successfully you specify relative-position=, the tools do not yet support it.

              This is why I asked if in your particular situation you would be able to do
              everything with absolute positioning since that is supported by tools.

              --
              Upcoming: 3-days XSLT/XPath and/or 2-days XSL-FO:Sep 30-Oct 4,2002

              ISBN 0-13-065196-6 Definitive XSLT and XPath
              ISBN 1-894049-07-1 Practical Formatting Using XSLFO
              XSL/XML/DSSSL/SGML/OmniMark services, books (electronic, printed),
              articles, training (instructor-live,Internet-live,web/CD,licensed)
              Next public training: 2002-08-05,26,27,09-30,10-03