Re: [XSL-FO] Named Destinations in a PDF

  • Harm Kok
    Message 1 of 12 , Dec 3, 2002

      I also tried a file made by the XSL Formatter evaluation version
      (2.3.2002.924) but did not get any destinations. Did you do something to
      get this working? (extension?) Different formatting of your ID?

      Regards,

      Harm

      W. Eliot Kimber wrote:

      >Harm Kok wrote:
      >

      >>Hi,
      >>
      >>I am having troubles putting destinations in a PDF file. You can see the
      >>destinations using adobe acrobat (not the reader). When you click on the
      >>'window' menu and choose 'Show Destinations'. These are points you can
      >>jump to from another document.
      >>

      >A quick check of the same document rendered with XEP 3.13 and XSL
      >Formatter 2.3 shows that XSL Formatter creates destinations for anything
      >that is bookmarked but XEP appears not to. It looks like the
      >destinations created by XSL Formatter use the ID values on the blocks
      >that are the bookmark targets.
      >
      >This sounds like a new PDF-specific requirement: the ability to define
      >arbitrary PDF destinations. I will post this to the EXSLFO list (see
      >exslfo.sourceforge.net for details).
      >
      >Cheers,
      >
      >Eliot

    • W. Eliot Kimber
      Message 2 of 12 , Dec 4, 2002
        Harm Kok wrote:
        > Hi,
        >
        > I also tried a file made by the XSL Formatter evaluation version
        > (2.3.2002.924) but did not get any destinations. Did you do something to
        > get this working? (extension?) Different formatting of your ID?

        It looks like it creates destinations for anything that is the target of
        a PDF bookmark--that requires use of the XSL Formatter bookmark extension.

        Cheers,

        Eliot
        --
        W. Eliot Kimber, eliot@...
        Consultant, ISOGEN International

        1016 La Posada Dr., Suite 240
        Austin, TX 78752 Phone: 512.656.4139
      • Harm Kok
        Message 3 of 12 , Dec 4, 2002
          Eliot,

          I tried to do this using
          axf:outline-level="1"
          axf:outline-title="{$id}
          on a block level element.

          I do get a destination, but I am not sure it is a named destination. Can
          you see this destinations using acrobat? I can't.

          Hope you can help,

          Harm

          W. Eliot Kimber wrote:

          >Harm Kok wrote:
          >

          >>Hi,
          >>
          >>I also tried a file made by the XSL Formatter evaluation version
          >>(2.3.2002.924) but did not get any destinations. Did you do something to
          >>get this working? (extension?) Different formatting of your ID?
          >>

          >It looks like it creates destinations for anything that is the target of
          >a PDF bookmark--that requires use of the XSL Formatter bookmark extension.
          >
          >Cheers,
          >
          >Eliot

        • Harm Kok
          Message 4 of 12 , Dec 9, 2002

            I am a little bit closer to the PDF named-destinations. I asked
            Antennahouse and they say it is not available (not in 2.2 and not in
            2.3). When I create a postscript file in 2.3 and distill this using
            acrobat I *do* get destinations. I even don't have to use the bookmark
            extension for this. Bad thing is that the linking is going bad. In the
            postscript file the links jump to the wrong points.

            Harm

            W. Eliot Kimber wrote:

            >Harm Kok wrote:
            >

            >>Hi,
            >>
            >>I also tried a file made by the XSL Formatter evaluation version
            >>(2.3.2002.924) but did not get any destinations. Did you do something to
            >>get this working? (extension?) Different formatting of your ID?
            >>

            >It looks like it creates destinations for anything that is the target of
            >a PDF bookmark--that requires use of the XSL Formatter bookmark extension.
            >
            >Cheers,
            >
            >Eliot

          • Jim White
            Message 5 of 12 , Dec 9, 2002
              Harm Kok wrote:
              > I am a little bit closer to the PDF named-destinations. I asked
              > Antennahouse and they say it is not available...

              Your original message said you had tried FOP. Did you try FOP with its
              outline extension? It hasn't been clear whether you could or would use
              the extensions.

              Jim

              From my posting on 12/3/02:
              > Harm Kok wrote:
              >
              >> I cannot seem to generate a destination using FOP, XEP or antennahouse.
              >> Anybody got a solution?
              >
              > The FOP PDF Outline Extension generates internal destinations. See the
              > example "docs/examples/fo/pdfoutline.fo".
              >
              > <fo:root xmlns:fo="http://www.w3.org/1999/XSL/Format"
              > xmlns:fox="http://xml.apache.org/fop/extensions">
              > <fox:outline internal-destination="sec1">
              > <fox:label>What is FOP?</fox:label>
              > </fox:outline>
              > <fo:block id="sec1" font-size="18pt" font-family="serif"
              > line-height="20pt" space-before.optimum="20pt"
              > space-after.optimum="14pt" >A) What is FOP?</fo:block>
              >
              > http://xml.apache.org/fop/extensions.html
            • Harm Kok
              Message 6 of 12 , Dec 10, 2002
                Hi Jim,

                I tried FOP with outline extensions (0.20.4) but that did not give me
                named destinations.

                Have you been able to generate them with FOP?

                Regards,

                Harm

                Message 7 of 12 , Dec 10, 2002
                  Harm Kok wrote:
                  > I tried FOP with outline extensions (0.20.4) but that did not give me
                  > named destinations.
                  >
                  > Have you been able to generate them with FOP?

                  Sorry, I didn't read the documentation well enough the first time, but
                  it says explicitly that while it has an external-destination property,
                  it is not currently implemented.

                  *sigh*

                  I imagine it wouldn't take much time to add in the few bits to support
                  that feature though.

                  Jim
                • chaplits <tim.chaplin@derwent.co.uk>
                  Message 8 of 12 , Dec 11, 2002
                    The documentation on the Apache site may say that

                    external-destination does not work,

                    but I have set up an http link using the current version of FOP.

                    <fo:basic-link external-
                    destination="http://l2.espacenet.com/espacenet/viewer?
                    PN=WO9915547&CY=ep&LG=en&DB=EPD">9915547</fo:basic-link>

                    Tim

                    --- In XSL-FO@yahoogroups.com, Jim White <jim@p...> wrote:
                    > Sorry, I didn't read the documentation well enough the first time,
                    but
                    > it says explicitly that while it has an external-destination
                    property,
                    > it is not currently implemented.
                    >
                    > *sigh*
                    >
                    > I imagine it wouldn't take much time to add in the few bits to
                    support
                    > that feature though.
                    >
                    > Jim
                  • Harm Kok
                    Message 9 of 12 , Dec 11, 2002
                      Tim,

                      You are right, external-destinations do work. What this is all about is
                      Named destinations in a PDF file. They allow you to directly jump to a
                      place in a PDF file. I did not manage to generate those named destinations.

                      About the external destination. According to the specs, the URI should
                      be enclosed in uri('http://www.blah.com/') . This does not work in FOP.

                      Harm