Re: [XSL-FO] Re: conditional-page-master-reference

  • David Tolpin
    Message 1 of 12 , Dec 3, 2002

      > Eliot - Thanks for the response, but I don't think that will work
      > (besides the XEP support issue). I need to also do separate

      There is no XEP support issue. XEP does support page-position="last".
      Since 3.0.

      > Actually, this is for a work-around for a complex formatting problem
      > that I can't figure out any other way of accomplishing other than
      > separate page masters.

      Wouldn't it be more useful to address the original problem, not its consequences?
      What kind of formatting requires such a complex layout-master-set?

      David Tolpin
      RenderX
    • gpearson_ccc
      Message 2 of 12 , Dec 3, 2002
        --- In XSL-FO@y..., David Tolpin <dvd@r...> wrote:

        > > Actually, this is for a work-around for a complex formatting
        problem
        > > that I can't figure out any other way of accomplishing other than
        > > separate page masters.
        >
        > Wouldn't it be more useful to address the original problem, not its
        consequences?
        > What kind of formatting requires such a complex layout-master-set?

        Yes, you're right. It was complicated and I was looking for a quick
        answer. Here's the overall problem.

        I need to format procedures for pilots...sort of like checklists.
        Since they are important, it has to be blatantly obvious that text
        continues on the next page if this is the case. I don't have much
        freedom in the final look.

        On the first page, the title of the procedure appears at the top. If
        the procedure spans multiple pages, each subsequent page has the
        title repeated except with "CONT'D" following the title.

        At the bottom of the page, if the procedure needs to be continued on
        the following page, a down arrow must appear to indicate that the
        reader must turn the page.

        So the problem is that the title has to vary from the first page to
        the remaining pages. And all pages of the procedure except the last
        need an arrow at the bottom.

        Since it appears on a page basis, this seems to require something in
        the way of static text in the page master layouts. Maybe I'm missing
        a more obvious solution.
      • W. Eliot Kimber
        Message 3 of 12 , Dec 3, 2002
          gpearson_ccc wrote:

          > On the first page, the title of the procedure appears at the top. If
          > the procedure spans multiple pages, each subsequent page has the
          > title repeated except with "CONT'D" following the title.

          [...]

          > Since it appears on a page basis, this seems to require something in
          > the way of static text in the page master layouts. Maybe I'm missing
          > a more obvious solution.

          You should be able to do this with markers. If you can make each of
          these things a distinct page sequence, then you can use this basic
          technique:

          - Use different first and any page masters and name the region-before
          differently in each.

          - In the flow, put out a marker with the title and the "CONT'D" string
          at the start and then an empty marker of the same class at the end

          - In the static content for the any page region-before, reference this
          marker with a last-within-page postion.

          This will have the effect of putting out the continued header on all but
          the first and last pages, not at all on single- or two-page flows.

          Cheers,

          E.
          --
          W. Eliot Kimber, eliot@...
          Consultant, ISOGEN International

          1016 La Posada Dr., Suite 240
          Austin, TX 78752 Phone: 512.656.4139
        • W. Eliot Kimber
          Message 4 of 12 , Dec 3, 2002
            David Tolpin wrote:
            >>Eliot - Thanks for the response, but I don't think that will work
            >>(besides the XEP support issue). I need to also do separate
            >

            > There is no XEP support issue. XEP does support page-position="last".
            > Since 3.0.

            I stand happily corrected--for some reason I was under the impression
            that XEP does not support last, but clearly it does. Sorry (it's
            becoming harder and harder to keep track of which implementations do
            what, expecially when they are constantly being improved).

            Cheers,

            E.
            --

          • gpearson_ccc <gpearson@creativecorp.com>
            Message 5 of 12 , Dec 12, 2002
              --- In XSL-FO@yahoogroups.com, "W. Eliot Kimber" <eliot@i...> wrote:
              > gpearson_ccc wrote:
              >
              > > On the first page, the title of the procedure appears at the
              top. If
              > > the procedure spans multiple pages, each subsequent page has the
              > > title repeated except with "CONT'D" following the title.
              >
              > [...]
              >
              > > Since it appears on a page basis, this seems to require something
              in
              > > the way of static text in the page master layouts. Maybe I'm
              missing
              > > a more obvious solution.
              >
              > You should be able to do this with markers. If you can make each of
              > these things a distinct page sequence, then you can use this basic
              > technique:
              >
              > - Use different first and any page masters and name the region-
              before
              > differently in each.
              >
              > - In the flow, put out a marker with the title and the "CONT'D"
              string
              > at the start and then an empty marker of the same class at the end
              >
              > - In the static content for the any page region-before, reference
              this
              > marker with a last-within-page postion.
              >
              > This will have the effect of putting out the continued header on
              all but
              > the first and last pages, not at all on single- or two-page flows.

              Happy to say that after a great deal of effort I got this to work,
              based on the suggestion(s) provided here. The problem was actually
              more complicated that what I stated, but this suggestion got me
              started down the right path.

              Thanks Eliot and others.