Re: conditional-page-master-reference

  • gpearson_ccc
    Message 1 of 12 , Dec 3, 2002
      Eliot - Thanks for the response, but I don't think that will work
      (besides the XEP support issue). I need to also do separate
      formatting depending if the page is last of many or last of 1. I
      need to discretely identify different page masters for the following
      situations:
      - First and only page (odd)
      - First and only page (even)
      - First of multiple pages (odd)
      - First of multiple pages (even)
      - Middle page (odd) (something other than first or last)
      - Middle page (even) (something other than first or last)
      - Last of multiple pages (odd)
      - Last of multiple pages (even)
      Actually, this is for a work-around for a complex formatting problem
      that I can't figure out any other way of accomplishing other than
      separate page masters.

      --- In XSL-FO@y..., "W. Eliot Kimber" <eliot@i...> wrote:
      > gpearson_ccc wrote:
      > > I need to be very specific in my page masters and the sequences.
      Is
      > > there anyway I can specify a conditional-page-master-reference to
      be
      > > both the first AND last pages (i.e., the only page) in the
      sequence?
      > > I need to use a specific layout if the body region lies entirely
      > > within one physical page.
      >
      > Conditional page sequences are evaluated in the order they are
      specified
      > in the page sequence master, so if you put the last page master
      first,
      > it should take precedence over the first page master and should
      match
      > the page in a single-page flow.
      >
      > However, XEP 3.* does not support the "last" condition. As far as I
      > know, only XSL Formatter supports "last" at the moment.
      >
      > Cheers,
      >
      > Eliot
      > --
      > W. Eliot Kimber, eliot@i...
      > Consultant, ISOGEN International
      >
      > 1016 La Posada Dr., Suite 240
      > Austin, TX 78752 Phone: 512.656.4139
    • David Tolpin
      Message 2 of 12 , Dec 3, 2002

        > gpearson_ccc wrote:
        > > I need to be very specific in my page masters and the sequences. Is
        > > there anyway I can specify a conditional-page-master-reference to be
        > > both the first AND last pages (i.e., the only page) in the sequence?
        > > I need to use a specific layout if the body region lies entirely
        > > within one physical page.
        >
        > Conditional page sequences are evaluated in the order they are specified
        > in the page sequence master, so if you put the last page master first,
        > it should take precedence over the first page master and should match
        > the page in a single-page flow.
        >
        > However, XEP 3.* does not support the "last" condition. As far as I
        > know, only XSL Formatter supports "last" at the moment.
        >
        > Cheers,
        >
        > Eliot
        > --
        > W. Eliot Kimber, eliot@...
        > Consultant, ISOGEN International
        >
        > 1016 La Posada Dr., Suite 240
        > Austin, TX 78752 Phone: 512.656.4139

      • W. Eliot Kimber
        Message 3 of 12 , Dec 3, 2002
          David Tolpin wrote:
          >>However, XEP 3.* does not support the "last" condition. As far as I
          >>know, only XSL Formatter supports "last" at the moment.
          >

          > ??? It does.

          The docs don't say it doesn't anywhere I can find and all my uses of
          "last" have worked. But...

          ...the following test case gives identical results with XSL Formatter
          and XEP 3.13. This test case should be testing whether or not "last"
          pages match but it might be working because of some fallback behavior
          that happens to land on the "last" page master (or the test case could
          be flawed).

          <?xml version="1.0"?>
          <fo:root xmlns:fo="http://www.w3.org/1999/XSL/Format"
          font-family="sans-serif"
          font-size="12pt"

          <fo:layout-master-set>
          <fo:simple-page-master master-name="page-A"
          page-height="11in"
          page-width="8.5in">
          <fo:region-body
          margin-left="1in"
          margin-right="1in"
          margin-top="1.5in"
          margin-bottom="1.5in"/>
          <fo:region-before
          precedence="false"
          background-color="red"
          extent="1in"/>
          <fo:region-after
          background-color="green"
          extent="1in"/>
          <fo:region-start
          background-color="blue"
          extent="1in"/>
          <fo:region-end
          background-color="yellow"
          extent="1in"/>
          </fo:simple-page-master>
          <fo:simple-page-master master-name="page-B"
          page-height="11in"
          page-width="8.5in">
          <fo:region-body
          margin-left="1in"
          margin-right="1in"
          margin-top="1.5in"
          margin-bottom="1.5in"/>
          <fo:region-before
          precedence="false"
          background-color="aqua"
          extent="1in"/>
          <fo:region-after
          background-color="silver"
          extent="1in"/>
          <fo:region-start
          background-color="blue"
          extent="1in"/>
          <fo:region-end
          background-color="yellow"
          extent="1in"/>
          </fo:simple-page-master>
          <fo:simple-page-master master-name="page-C"
          page-height="11in"
          page-width="8.5in">
          <fo:region-body
          margin-top="1.5in"
          margin-bottom="1.5in"
          margin-left="1in"
          margin-right="1in"
          />
          <fo:region-before
          precedence="false"
          background-color="fuchsia"
          extent="1in"/>
          <fo:region-after
          background-color="purple"
          extent="1in"/>
          <fo:region-start
          background-color="blue"
          extent="1in"/>
          <fo:region-end
          background-color="yellow"
          extent="1in"/>
          </fo:simple-page-master>
          <fo:page-sequence-master master-name="body-pages">
          <fo:conditional-page-master-reference
          master-reference="page-C"
          page-position="last"/>
          <fo:conditional-page-master-reference
          master-reference="page-A"
          page-position="first"/>
          <fo:conditional-page-master-reference
          master-reference="page-B"
          page-position="any"/>
          <fo:conditional-page-master-reference
          master-reference="page-B"
          page-position="any"/>
          </fo:page-sequence-master>
          </fo:layout-master-set>
          <fo:page-sequence master-reference="body-pages">
          <fo:flow flow-name="xsl-region-body"

          <fo:block
          >This is page 1 of 4. Should use first page master page-A
          (green region-after).</fo:block>
          <fo:block break-before="page"
          >This is page 2 of 4. Should use "any" page master page-B
          (silver region-after).</fo:block>
          <fo:block break-before="page"
          >This is page 3 of 4. Should use "any" page master page-B
          (silver region-after).</fo:block>
          <fo:block break-before="page"
          >This is page 4 of 4. Should use last page master page-C
          (purple region-after).</fo:block>
          </fo:flow>
          </fo:page-sequence>
          <fo:page-sequence master-reference="body-pages">
          <fo:flow flow-name="xsl-region-body"

          <fo:block
          >This is page 1 of 1. Should use last page master page-C
          (purple region-after).</fo:block>
          </fo:flow>
          </fo:page-sequence>
          </fo:root>

          --
          W. Eliot Kimber, eliot@...

          Message 4 of 12 , Dec 3, 2002

            > Eliot - Thanks for the response, but I don't think that will work
            > (besides the XEP support issue). I need to also do separate

            There is no XEP support issue. XEP does support page-position="last".
            Since 3.0.

            > Actually, this is for a work-around for a complex formatting problem
            > that I can't figure out any other way of accomplishing other than
            > separate page masters.

            Wouldn't it be more useful to address the original problem, not its consequences?
            What kind of formatting requires such a complex layout-master-set?

            David Tolpin
            RenderX
          • gpearson_ccc
            Message 5 of 12 , Dec 3, 2002
              --- In XSL-FO@y..., David Tolpin <dvd@r...> wrote:

              > > Actually, this is for a work-around for a complex formatting
              problem
              > > that I can't figure out any other way of accomplishing other than
              > > separate page masters.
              >
              > Wouldn't it be more useful to address the original problem, not its
              consequences?
              > What kind of formatting requires such a complex layout-master-set?

              Yes, you're right. It was complicated and I was looking for a quick
              answer. Here's the overall problem.

              I need to format procedures for pilots...sort of like checklists.
              Since they are important, it has to be blatantly obvious that text
              continues on the next page if this is the case. I don't have much
              freedom in the final look.

              On the first page, the title of the procedure appears at the top. If
              the procedure spans multiple pages, each subsequent page has the
              title repeated except with "CONT'D" following the title.

              At the bottom of the page, if the procedure needs to be continued on
              the following page, a down arrow must appear to indicate that the
              reader must turn the page.

              So the problem is that the title has to vary from the first page to
              the remaining pages. And all pages of the procedure except the last
              need an arrow at the bottom.

              Since it appears on a page basis, this seems to require something in
              the way of static text in the page master layouts. Maybe I'm missing
              a more obvious solution.
            • W. Eliot Kimber
              Message 6 of 12 , Dec 3, 2002
                gpearson_ccc wrote:

                > On the first page, the title of the procedure appears at the top. If
                > the procedure spans multiple pages, each subsequent page has the
                > title repeated except with "CONT'D" following the title.

                [...]

                > Since it appears on a page basis, this seems to require something in
                > the way of static text in the page master layouts. Maybe I'm missing
                > a more obvious solution.

                You should be able to do this with markers. If you can make each of
                these things a distinct page sequence, then you can use this basic
                technique:

                - Use different first and any page masters and name the region-before
                differently in each.

                - In the flow, put out a marker with the title and the "CONT'D" string
                at the start and then an empty marker of the same class at the end

                - In the static content for the any page region-before, reference this
                marker with a last-within-page postion.

                This will have the effect of putting out the continued header on all but
                the first and last pages, not at all on single- or two-page flows.

                Cheers,

                E.
                --
                W. Eliot Kimber, eliot@...

                Message 7 of 12 , Dec 3, 2002
                  David Tolpin wrote:
                  >>Eliot - Thanks for the response, but I don't think that will work
                  >>(besides the XEP support issue). I need to also do separate
                  >

                  > There is no XEP support issue. XEP does support page-position="last".
                  > Since 3.0.

                  I stand happily corrected--for some reason I was under the impression
                  that XEP does not support last, but clearly it does. Sorry (it's
                  becoming harder and harder to keep track of which implementations do
                  what, expecially when they are constantly being improved).

                  Cheers,

                  E.
                  --
                  W. Eliot Kimber, eliot@...

                • gpearson_ccc <gpearson@creativecorp.com>
                  Message 8 of 12 , Dec 12, 2002
                    --- In XSL-FO@yahoogroups.com, "W. Eliot Kimber" <eliot@i...> wrote:
                    > gpearson_ccc wrote:
                    >
                    > > On the first page, the title of the procedure appears at the
                    top. If
                    > > the procedure spans multiple pages, each subsequent page has the
                    > > title repeated except with "CONT'D" following the title.
                    >
                    > [...]
                    >
                    > > Since it appears on a page basis, this seems to require something
                    in
                    > > the way of static text in the page master layouts. Maybe I'm
                    missing
                    > > a more obvious solution.
                    >
                    > You should be able to do this with markers. If you can make each of
                    > these things a distinct page sequence, then you can use this basic
                    > technique:
                    >
                    > - Use different first and any page masters and name the region-
                    before
                    > differently in each.
                    >
                    > - In the flow, put out a marker with the title and the "CONT'D"
                    string
                    > at the start and then an empty marker of the same class at the end
                    >
                    > - In the static content for the any page region-before, reference
                    this
                    > marker with a last-within-page postion.
                    >
                    > This will have the effect of putting out the continued header on
                    all but
                    > the first and last pages, not at all on single- or two-page flows.

                    Happy to say that after a great deal of effort I got this to work,
                    based on the suggestion(s) provided here. The problem was actually
                    more complicated that what I stated, but this suggestion got me
                    started down the right path.

                    Thanks Eliot and others.