Re: [XSL-FO] Named Destinations in a PDF

  • W. Eliot Kimber
    Message 1 of 12 , Dec 3, 2002
      Harm Kok wrote:
      > Hi,
      >
      > I am having troubles putting destinations in a PDF file. You can see the
      > destinations using adobe acrobat (not the reader). When you click on the
      > 'window' menu and choose 'Show Destinations'. These are points you can
      > jump to from another document.

      A quick check of the same document rendered with XEP 3.13 and XSL
      Formatter 2.3 shows that XSL Formatter creates destinations for anything
      that is bookmarked but XEP appears not to. It looks like the
      destinations created by XSL Formatter use the ID values on the blocks
      that are the bookmark targets.

      This sounds like a new PDF-specific requirement: the ability to define
      arbitrary PDF destinations. I will post this to the EXSLFO list (see
      exslfo.sourceforge.net for details).

      Cheers,

      Eliot
      --
      W. Eliot Kimber, eliot@...
      Consultant, ISOGEN International

      1016 La Posada Dr., Suite 240
      Austin, TX 78752 Phone: 512.656.4139
    • Jim White
      Message 2 of 12 , Dec 3, 2002
        Harm Kok wrote:
        > I cannot seem to generate a destination using FOP, XEP or antennahouse.
        > Anybody got a solution?

        The FOP PDF Outline Extension generates internal destinations. See the
        example "docs/examples/fo/pdfoutline.fo".

        <fo:root xmlns:fo="http://www.w3.org/1999/XSL/Format"
        xmlns:fox="http://xml.apache.org/fop/extensions">
        <fox:outline internal-destination="sec1">
        <fox:label>What is FOP?</fox:label>
        </fox:outline>
        <fo:block id="sec1" font-size="18pt" font-family="serif"
        line-height="20pt" space-before.optimum="20pt"
        space-after.optimum="14pt" >A) What is FOP?</fo:block>

        http://xml.apache.org/fop/extensions.html

        Jim
      • Harm Kok
        Message 3 of 12 , Dec 3, 2002

          I also tried a file made by the XSL Formatter evaluation version
          (2.3.2002.924) but did not get any destinations. Did you do something to
          get this working? (extension?) Different formatting of your ID?

          Regards,

          Harm

          W. Eliot Kimber wrote:

          >Harm Kok wrote:
          >

          >>Hi,
          >>
          >>I am having troubles putting destinations in a PDF file. You can see the
          >>destinations using adobe acrobat (not the reader). When you click on the
          >>'window' menu and choose 'Show Destinations'. These are points you can
          >>jump to from another document.
          >>

          >A quick check of the same document rendered with XEP 3.13 and XSL
          >Formatter 2.3 shows that XSL Formatter creates destinations for anything
          >that is bookmarked but XEP appears not to. It looks like the
          >destinations created by XSL Formatter use the ID values on the blocks
          >that are the bookmark targets.
          >
          >This sounds like a new PDF-specific requirement: the ability to define
          >arbitrary PDF destinations. I will post this to the EXSLFO list (see
          >exslfo.sourceforge.net for details).
          >
          >Cheers,
          >
          >Eliot

        • W. Eliot Kimber
          Message 4 of 12 , Dec 4, 2002
            Harm Kok wrote:
            > Hi,
            >
            > I also tried a file made by the XSL Formatter evaluation version
            > (2.3.2002.924) but did not get any destinations. Did you do something to
            > get this working? (extension?) Different formatting of your ID?

            It looks like it creates destinations for anything that is the target of
            a PDF bookmark--that requires use of the XSL Formatter bookmark extension.

            Cheers,

            Eliot

            Message 5 of 12 , Dec 4, 2002
              Eliot,

              I tried to do this using
              axf:outline-level="1"
              axf:outline-title="{$id}
              on a block level element.

              I do get a destination, but I am not sure it is a named destination. Can
              you see this destinations using acrobat? I can't.

              Hope you can help,

              Harm

              W. Eliot Kimber wrote:

              >Harm Kok wrote:
              >

              >>Hi,
              >>
              >>I also tried a file made by the XSL Formatter evaluation version
              >>(2.3.2002.924) but did not get any destinations. Did you do something to
              >>get this working? (extension?) Different formatting of your ID?
              >>

              >It looks like it creates destinations for anything that is the target of
              >a PDF bookmark--that requires use of the XSL Formatter bookmark extension.
              >
              >Cheers,
              >
              >Eliot

            • Harm Kok
              Message 6 of 12 , Dec 9, 2002

                I am a little bit closer to the PDF named-destinations. I asked
                Antennahouse and they say it is not available (not in 2.2 and not in
                2.3). When I create a postscript file in 2.3 and distill this using
                acrobat I *do* get destinations. I even don't have to use the bookmark
                extension for this. Bad thing is that the linking is going bad. In the
                postscript file the links jump to the wrong points.

                Harm

                W. Eliot Kimber wrote:

                >Harm Kok wrote:
                >

                >>Hi,
                >>
                >>I also tried a file made by the XSL Formatter evaluation version
                >>(2.3.2002.924) but did not get any destinations. Did you do something to
                >>get this working? (extension?) Different formatting of your ID?
                >>

                >It looks like it creates destinations for anything that is the target of
                >a PDF bookmark--that requires use of the XSL Formatter bookmark extension.
                >
                >Cheers,
                >
                >Eliot

              • Jim White
                Message 7 of 12 , Dec 9, 2002
                  Harm Kok wrote:
                  > I am a little bit closer to the PDF named-destinations. I asked
                  > Antennahouse and they say it is not available...

                  Your original message said you had tried FOP. Did you try FOP with its
                  outline extension? It hasn't been clear whether you could or would use
                  the extensions.

                  Jim

                  From my posting on 12/3/02:

                  Message 8 of 12 , Dec 10, 2002
                    Hi Jim,

                    I tried FOP with outline extensions (0.20.4) but that did not give me
                    named destinations.

                    Have you been able to generate them with FOP?

                    Regards,

                    Harm

                    Message 9 of 12 , Dec 10, 2002
                      Harm Kok wrote:
                      > I tried FOP with outline extensions (0.20.4) but that did not give me
                      > named destinations.
                      >
                      > Have you been able to generate them with FOP?

                      Sorry, I didn't read the documentation well enough the first time, but
                      it says explicitly that while it has an external-destination property,
                      it is not currently implemented.

                      *sigh*

                      I imagine it wouldn't take much time to add in the few bits to support
                      that feature though.

                      Jim
                    • chaplits <tim.chaplin@derwent.co.uk>
                      Message 10 of 12 , Dec 11, 2002
                        The documentation on the Apache site may say that

                        external-destination does not work,

                        but I have set up an http link using the current version of FOP.

                        <fo:basic-link external-
                        destination="http://l2.espacenet.com/espacenet/viewer?
                        PN=WO9915547&CY=ep&LG=en&DB=EPD">9915547</fo:basic-link>

                        Tim

                        --- In XSL-FO@yahoogroups.com, Jim White <jim@p...> wrote:
                        > Sorry, I didn't read the documentation well enough the first time,
                        but
                        > it says explicitly that while it has an external-destination
                        property,
                        > it is not currently implemented.
                        >
                        > *sigh*
                        >
                        > I imagine it wouldn't take much time to add in the few bits to
                        support
                        > that feature though.
                        >
                        > Jim
                      • Harm Kok
                        Message 11 of 12 , Dec 11, 2002
                          Tim,

                          You are right, external-destinations do work. What this is all about is
                          Named destinations in a PDF file. They allow you to directly jump to a
                          place in a PDF file. I did not manage to generate those named destinations.

                          About the external destination. According to the specs, the URI should
                          be enclosed in uri('http://www.blah.com/') . This does not work in FOP.

                          Harm