Re: [XSL-FO] Trouble with XSL in FO only - keys? external doc? not sure what the problem is...

  • Oleg Tkachenko
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 2, 2002
      Dahlquist_Michael/shure@... wrote:

      > This may well be an XSL problem, but it only shows itself when I
      > transform FO to PDF.
      Yes, it looks like xsl problem, you FO is probably non valid.

      > Any clues as to why this might work in HTML and XML, but not in PDF?
      They're completely different beasts.
      xml+xsl->html
      xml+xsl->fo->FOP->pdf
      FOP doesn't like your FO, make sure it's ok and root element is fo:root.

      --
      Oleg Tkachenko
      eXperanto team
      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 2, 2002
        >Yes, it looks like xsl problem, you FO is probably non valid.

        The FO is valid - and now I've traced the problem a little better. If I
        comment out this line:

        <xsl:apply-templates select="$partLookupDoc"/>

        ...from the FO, the transform works fine.

        If I take out the variable and include a hard link to the external
        document, the transform fails as well. Again, any other XML transform
        has no problem with this line.

        Does FOP not like external documents?

        > This may well be an XSL problem, but it only shows itself when I
        > transform FO to PDF.
        Yes, it looks like xsl problem, you FO is probably non valid.

        > Any clues as to why this might work in HTML and XML, but not in PDF?
        They're completely different beasts.
        xml+xsl->html
        xml+xsl->fo->FOP->pdf
        FOP doesn't like your FO, make sure it's ok and root element is fo:root.

        --
        Oleg Tkachenko
        eXperanto team
        Multiconn Technologies, Israel

        Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
        http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
      • Oleg Tkachenko
        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 2, 2002
          Dahlquist_Michael/shure@... wrote:

          > The FO is valid - and now I've traced the problem a little better. If I
          > comment out this line:
          >
          > <xsl:apply-templates select="$partLookupDoc"/>
          And how does it affect resulting FO? It's rather unclear what do you
          mean. Post small example of resulting FO.

          > Does FOP not like external documents?
          FOP has nothing to do with any external documents, it's just FO
          formatter. You must generate valid FO document for FOP.

          Message 4 of 7 , Dec 2, 2002
            >And how does it affect resulting FO?

            I'm showing my true colors here, please accept my apologies; but I'm
            not sure what this means.

            I've only created FO stylesheets manually, and generated PDF files
            directly from these stylesheets. I'm not sure how to get at the
            "resulting FO;" I only know how to create the PDF file.

            Using FOP/Cocoon, how do I view the result from an FO transform?
          • Jim White
            Message 5 of 7 , Dec 2, 2002
              Dahlquist_Michael/shure@... wrote:
              >>And how does it affect resulting FO?
              > Using FOP/Cocoon, how do I view the result from an FO transform?

              I use a set of maps like this:

              <map:match pattern="report.html">
              <map:generate src="data.xml"/>
              <map:transform src="stylesheets/report.xsl"/>
              <map:serialize type="xhtml"/>
              </map:match>

              <map:match pattern="report.fo">
              <map:generate src="data.xml"/>
              <map:transform src="stylesheets/report.xsl"/>
              <map:transform src="stylesheets/xhtml2fo.xsl"/>
              <map:serialize type="xhtml"/>
              </map:match>

              <map:match pattern="report.pdf">
              <map:generate src="data.xml"/>
              <map:transform src="stylesheets/report.xsl"/>
              <map:transform src="stylesheets/xhtml2fo.xsl"/>
              <map:serialize type="fo2pdf"/>
              </map:match>

              Jim
            • Oleg Tkachenko
              Message 6 of 7 , Dec 3, 2002
                Dahlquist_Michael/shure@... wrote:

                > I've only created FO stylesheets manually, and generated PDF files
                > directly from these stylesheets. I'm not sure how to get at the
                > "resulting FO;" I only know how to create the PDF file.
                Ok, then post this FO stylesheet (I think you have meant xsl stylesheet, right?)