Re: [XSL-FO] Precendence of Hidden border style

    Message 1 of 11 , Nov 5, 2002
      At 2002-11-05 18:30 -0500, I wrote:
      >I've attached an image of what I see on my screen ... try the code below
      >and let me know how it works for you. Perhaps you are only dealing with an
      >old implementation issue.

      The attachment didn't make it through.

      What I have is in ASCII graphics as:

      Eliot's test unmodified (but fixed)

      r1c1 r1c2

      Eliot's test modified
      ------
      r1c1 r1c2 |
      ------

      Which is what I would expect. In both cases the first cell's "hidden" is
      overriding the higher precedence "solid" of the next cell.

      ................. Ken

      <block space-before="20mm">Eliot's test unmodified (but fixed)</block>
      border-end-precedence="9"
      border-end-style="hidden"
      border-end-width="2pt"
      ><block>r1c1</block></table-cell>
      border-start-precedence="10"
      border-start-style="solid"
      border-start-width="2pt"
      ><block>r1c2</block></table-cell>

      <block>Eliot's test modified</block>
      border-end-precedence="9"
      border-end-style="hidden"
      border-end-width="2pt"
      ><block>r1c1</block></table-cell>
      border-start-precedence="10"
      border-style="solid"
      border-start-width="2pt"

      --
      Upcoming hands-on in-depth XSLT/XPath and/or XSL-FO:
      - North America: Feb 3 - Feb 7,2003

      ISBN 0-13-065196-6 Definitive XSLT and XPath
      ISBN 0-13-140374-5 Definitive XSL-FO
      Next conference training: 2002-12-08,03-03,06
    • W. Eliot Kimber
      Message 2 of 11 , Nov 5, 2002
        G. Ken Holman wrote:

        > I just added the above (with repairs to the markup) to my test page it is
        > is, indeed, being hidden as I thought it should. Note that the fo:block
        > isn't properly terminated and the second cell is setting the width of the
        > end, not the start.

        The difference is I'm specifying collapse-with-precedence, not collapse.
        When I specify border-collapse="collapse", I get Ken's result. When I
        specify collapse-with-precedence, I get my results.

        That makes sense to the degree that the "collapse" reflects the pure
        CSS2 collapse model and I don't think there's any ambiguity about the
        intepretation of "hidden" for "collapse".

        However, I still think it's unclear whether or not hidden should always
        take precedence for "collapse-with-precedence". I think XSL Formatter's
        implementation is a reasonable one but I can't completely justify it
        given the words in the spec.

        Cheers,

        E.

        --
        W. Eliot Kimber, eliot@...
        Consultant, ISOGEN International

        1016 La Posada Dr., Suite 240
        Austin, TX 78752 Phone: 512.656.4139
        Message 3 of 11 , Nov 5, 2002
          At 2002-11-05 17:52 -0600, W. Eliot Kimber wrote:
          >The difference is I'm specifying collapse-with-precedence, not collapse.
          >When I specify border-collapse="collapse", I get Ken's result. When I
          >specify collapse-with-precedence, I get my results.

          I agree ... I've just tried it with collapse-with-precedence.

          >That makes sense to the degree that the "collapse" reflects the pure
          >CSS2 collapse model and I don't think there's any ambiguity about the
          >intepretation of "hidden" for "collapse".

          Granted ... we are now singing from the same song sheet.

          >However, I still think it's unclear whether or not hidden should always
          >take precedence for "collapse-with-precedence". I think XSL Formatter's
          >implementation is a reasonable one but I can't completely justify it
          >given the words in the spec.

          What if we looked at 6.7.10 as follows?

          - my observations regarding hidden having precedence are
          based on behaviours explicitly described under the
          paragraph starting "If the border-collapse trait is
          collapse..." and are numbered as to associate those
          points only with a trait of that value
          - the preceding paragraph starting "If the border-collapse
          trait is collapse-with-precedence" explicitly states:
          "the border for each side of the cell is determined by,
          for each segment of a border, selecting, from all
          border specifications for that segment, the border
          that has the highest precedence."
          - there is nothing in collapse-with-precedence that has
          anything to do with style, therefore, all determination
          is being done with precedence (hence, I suppose, the
          name!)

          And that I think is sufficient justification for the XSL Formatter behaviour.

          Interestingly, I'm now getting some undesirable wrapping of the first cell,
          but I am getting a border that is not overridden by the hidden.

          Eliot's test unmodified (but fixed)

          r1c1 r1c2

          Eliot's test modified
          ------
          r1c1 r1c2 |
          ------
          Eliot's test using collapse-with-precedence
          -------
          r1c |r1c2 |
          1 -------

          All along in this discussion I was thinking of "collapse" and I never
          considered "collapse-with-precedence", so I apologize for not having even
          looked at that part of the spec during my writing today.

          Now I have to add this caveat to page 262 of the book.

          Thanks, Eliot, for working through this with me. Please let me know if you
          still have reservations regarding the XSL Formatter behaviour, because I've
          been convinced by what I cited above (except for the undesirable wrapping).

          ..................... Ken

          <block space-before="20mm">Eliot's test unmodified (but fixed)</block>
          border-end-precedence="9"
          border-end-style="hidden"
          border-end-width="2pt"
          ><block>r1c1</block></table-cell>
          border-start-precedence="10"
          border-start-style="solid"
          border-start-width="2pt"
          ><block>r1c2</block></table-cell>

          <block>Eliot's test modified</block>
          border-end-precedence="9"
          border-end-style="hidden"
          border-end-width="2pt"
          ><block>r1c1</block></table-cell>
          border-start-precedence="10"
          border-style="solid"
          border-start-width="2pt"
          ><block>r1c2</block></table-cell>

          <block>Eliot's test using collapse-with-precedence</block>
          border-end-precedence="9"
          border-end-style="hidden"
          border-end-width="2pt"
          ><block>r1c1</block></table-cell>
          border-start-precedence="10"
          border-style="solid"
          border-start-width="2pt"

          Message 4 of 11 , Nov 6, 2002
            G. Ken Holman wrote:

            >>However, I still think it's unclear whether or not hidden should always
            >>take precedence for "collapse-with-precedence". I think XSL Formatter's
            >>implementation is a reasonable one but I can't completely justify it
            >>given the words in the spec.
            >

            > What if we looked at 6.7.10 as follows?
            >
            > - my observations regarding hidden having precedence are
            > based on behaviours explicitly described under the
            > paragraph starting "If the border-collapse trait is
            > collapse..." and are numbered as to associate those
            > points only with a trait of that value
            > - the preceding paragraph starting "If the border-collapse
            > trait is collapse-with-precedence" explicitly states:
            > "the border for each side of the cell is determined by,
            > for each segment of a border, selecting, from all
            > border specifications for that segment, the border
            > that has the highest precedence."
            > - there is nothing in collapse-with-precedence that has
            > anything to do with style, therefore, all determination
            > is being done with precedence (hence, I suppose, the
            > name!)
            >
            > And that I think is sufficient justification for the XSL Formatter behaviour.

            I think you are correct--I think I was reading precedence in that
            paragraph in the generic sense (the sense it is meant for "collapse")
            and not in the border-*-precedence sense.

            Thanks, I feel better about this now.

            Cheers,

            E.