RE: [XSL-FO] Pagenumber

  • Neil Bradley
    Message 1 of 10 , Mar 1, 2001
      You can always create a page number reference to an object that is
      guaranteed to appear on the last page:

      ... of <fo:page-number-citation ref-id="LastParaInDocID" />.

      <fo:block id="LastParaInDocID">Hi, I'm just here so I can be referenced to
      find the last page number</fo:block>

      Neil.

      Message 2 of 10 , Mar 1, 2001
        LEvensen@... writes:
        > It seems you've answered your own question, that is, unless you know how
        > many pages in total you will have on page 1 you can't specify '1 of 4',
        > although it doesn't stop some
        > people from putting that into specifications or such.

        oh come, its easy. replace the "4" with a page number reference to a
        label at the end of the document.

        sebastian
      • LEvensen@iKnowMed.com
        Message 3 of 10 , Mar 1, 2001
          Thanks for your greater knowledge

        • hakan.lindestaf@epani.com
          Message 4 of 10 , Mar 1, 2001
            This is a very good solution, but my problem is that I'm looping a
            collection and for each item I'm creating a new page-sequence. That
            means to be able to get the number of pages I have to create a blank
            page last, and I don't want that. Does anybody have a solution? Is
            there a way to prohibit blank pages to be shown? Can I create
            a "dummy" tag with only a id and put that last to get the last page
            number.

            Please help,

            /Hakan

            --- In XSL-FO@y..., Neil Bradley <neil.bradley@r...> wrote:

            > You can always create a page number reference to an object that is
            > guaranteed to appear on the last page:
            >
            > ... of <fo:page-number-citation ref-id="LastParaInDocID" />.
            >
            > <fo:block id="LastParaInDocID">Hi, I'm just here so I can be
            referenced to
            > find the last page number</fo:block>
            >

            > Neil.

            http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

            http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
          • Nikolai Grigoriev
            Message 5 of 10 , Mar 1, 2001
              Hakan,

              I suggest to look at www.renderx.com/tutorial.html - for two reasons:

              - first, because this case is covered in Chapter XIV;

              - second, because the PDF version of the tutorial itself uses the format
              of the page number that you need (Page X of Y, count restarted at the
              beginning of the page sequence). The XML source and the stylesheet
              for XSL FO are also available from the link above: please download
              and look how it was done.

              Regards,
              Nikolai Grigoriev

              RenderX

              Message 6 of 10 , Mar 1, 2001
                Thanks Nikolai,

                but the solution in the tutorial is exactly the same as in the
                message I replied to. My problem, and maybe I've solved this in a
                weird way, is that I have a collection where one item in the
                collection should be on a new page. I also want information from this
                item to be put in the static piece of that page. The subitems in the
                item can span over more than one page.

                So I created something like this:
                <!-- For each IStartHoleTeeTimes object -->
                <xsl:for-each select="/root/coll/coll_Item">
                <fo:page-sequence master-name="simple">
                <fo:title>Starter List report</fo:title>
                <fo:static-content flow-name="xsl-region-before">
                <fo:block text-align="center" font-weight="bold" font-
                size="16pt">
                Starter List - <xsl:value-of select="tcoursename"/> <xsl:value-
                of select="user:getDateString(string(ddate))"/>
                </fo:block>
                </fo:static-content>

                That means I create a new page-seq. for each item. Everything outputs
                correct, but since my outer loop is outside the page-seq. I'm not
                sure where to put the page-number-citation-id.

                Thanks,

                /Hakan

                --- In XSL-FO@y..., "Nikolai Grigoriev" <grig@r...> wrote:
                > Hakan,
                >
                > I suggest to look at www.renderx.com/tutorial.html - for two
                reasons:

                > - first, because this case is covered in Chapter XIV;
                >
                > - second, because the PDF version of the tutorial itself uses the
                format
                > of the page number that you need (Page X of Y, count restarted at
                the
                > beginning of the page sequence). The XML source and the stylesheet
                > for XSL FO are also available from the link above: please download
                > and look how it was done.
                >
                > Regards,
                > Nikolai Grigoriev
                >
                > RenderX

              • Nikolai Grigoriev
                Message 7 of 10 , Mar 1, 2001
                  Hakan,

                  > That means I create a new page-seq. for each item. Everything outputs
                  > correct, but since my outer loop is outside the page-seq. I'm not
                  > sure where to put the page-number-citation-id.

                  Generate an empty termination block in each sequence, and refer to it. Use
                  generate-id() to get a unique id, like this:

                  <!-- For each IStartHoleTeeTimes object -->
                  <xsl:for-each select="/root/coll/coll_Item">
                  <!-- Get a unigue number -->
                  <xsl:variable name="end-id"
                  select="concat('terminator-', generate-id())"/>

                  <fo:page-sequence master-name="simple"
                  initial-page-number="1"
                  force-page-count="no-force">
                  <fo:static-content flow-name="xsl-region-before">
                  <fo:block>
                  Page <fo:page-number/>
                  of <fo:page-number-citation ref-id="{$end-id}"/>
                  </fo:block>
                  </fo:static-content>
                  <fo:flow flow-name="xsl-region-body">
                  <fo:block id="{$end-id}"/>
                  </fo:flow>
                  </fo:page-sequence>

                  (I omitted all irrelevant fragments from your sample)

                  I have put force-page-count="no-force" - this is normally used with simplex
                  printing. Otherwise the formatter will complement page sequences to end at even
                  pages - it's another cryptic feature of XSL FO :-).

                  Regards,
                  Nikolai
                • hakan.lindestaf@epani.com
                  Message 8 of 10 , Mar 1, 2001
                    Sorry but this didn't work. If I have two main items in my collection
                    and the total pages was 7 and the first main item generated 5 pages
                    and the last one generated 2 pages, the page x of y would be:
                    Page 1 of 5
                    Page 2 of 5
                    Page 3 of 5
                    Page 4 of 5
                    Page 5 of 5
                    Page 6 of 7
                    Page 7 of 7

                    But I found another way of doing this. I checked inside the page-seq.
                    if I'm at the last main item in the main collection, and if I am then
                    I create a dummy block with an id. It works for now, even though not
                    the nicest solution.

                    Thanks for all your help, I really really appreciate it!