absolute-position

  • David Tolpin
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 4, 2002
      I am trying understand the formal description of absolute-position
      property and the intent behind it.

      First, it is said that for absolute-position="absolute" the position
      is determined relative to the block-container's containing area. If
      a block-container is placed inside a block, does it mean that it must
      be placed absolutely within that block's content-rectangle?
      Or the current reference-area should be used instead?

      Second, it is said that an absolutely positioned block-container

      1) should be placed where it would (in the same area) if its absolute-position="auto"
      2) should not affect placement of later siblings.

      These two requirements are either contradictionary or rather odd.
      If a block-container does not fit into the remaining space of the
      current page, then it must be passed to the following one.
      Does it mean that later siblings following the absolutely positioned
      block-container should precede the absolutely positioned container (that is,
      appear on a page before one with the container) even if there is enough
      space in the current area to place it?

      David Tolpin
      RenderX