What Is media-usage="unbounded" for?

  • W. Eliot Kimber
    Message 1 of 8 , Oct 31, 2002
      I'm curious what the use cases are for media-usage="unbounded". paginate
      and bounded-one-dimension make sense (pages and browsers, respectively)
      but I can't think of a display medium that would be inherently unbounded
      in all dimensions or why you would want it.

      Cheers,

      Eliot
      --
      W. Eliot Kimber, eliot@...
      Consultant, ISOGEN International

      1016 La Posada Dr., Suite 240
      Austin, TX 78752 Phone: 512.656.4139
    • Oleg Tkachenko
      Message 2 of 8 , Nov 3, 2002
        W. Eliot Kimber wrote:

        > I'm curious what the use cases are for media-usage="unbounded". paginate
        > and bounded-one-dimension make sense (pages and browsers, respectively)
        > but I can't think of a display medium that would be inherently unbounded
        > in all dimensions or why you would want it.

        Me too, imagination fails. Probably they have added that value just for
        completenesses. Seems to me neither dsssl nor css don't have such abstraction.

        --
        Oleg Tkachenko
        eXperanto team
        Message 3 of 8 , Nov 3, 2002
          > > I'm curious what the use cases are for media-usage="unbounded". paginate
          > > and bounded-one-dimension make sense (pages and browsers, respectively)
          > > but I can't think of a display medium that would be inherently unbounded
          > > in all dimensions or why you would want it.
          >
          > Me too, imagination fails. Probably they have added that value just for
          > completenesses. Seems to me neither dsssl nor css don't have such abstraction.

          The globe.
        • Jim White
          Message 4 of 8 , Nov 4, 2002
            W. Eliot Kimber wrote:
            > I'm curious what the use cases are for media-usage="unbounded". paginate
            > and bounded-one-dimension make sense (pages and browsers, respectively)
            > but I can't think of a display medium that would be inherently unbounded
            > in all dimensions or why you would want it.

            It ensures that no blocks are wrapped. That could be useful for a
            renderer that determines how large a page is needed to avoid wrapping.
            It could also be displayed using a viewport. Consider an editor with
            resizable windows and "wrap"/"no wrap" options.

            Jim
          • Tony Weeg
            Message 5 of 8 , Nov 4, 2002
              <xsl:attribute name="value"><xsl:value-of select="id" /></xsl:attribute>

              if i have this in my code, and i wanted to take the value that
              <xsl:value-of select="id" /> parses to, how would i make that
              part of a dynamically assigned url string such as this...

              Report</a>
              or something like that....

              so that <xsl:value-of select="id" /> in the url string became what it
              actually is....something like
              545677 or whatever it may turn out to be?

              thanks..
              ...tony
              tony weeg
              tony@...
              www.revolutionwebdesign.com
              rEvOlUtIoN wEb DeSiGn
              410.334.6331
              Message 6 of 8 , Nov 4, 2002
                At 2002-11-04 21:43 -0500, Tony Weeg wrote:
                ><xsl:attribute name="value"><xsl:value-of select="id" /></xsl:attribute>
                >
                >if i have this in my code, and i wanted to take the value that
                ><xsl:value-of select="id" /> parses to, how would i make that
                >part of a dynamically assigned url string such as this...

                >Report</a>
                >or something like that....

                Two ways:

                Using the attribute instruction:

                <a>
                <xsl:attribute name="href">
                <xsl:text>index.cfm?reportId=</xsl:text>
                <xsl:value-of select="id"/>
                </xsl:attribute>
                <xsl:text>Go back to the Report</xsl:text>
                </a>

                Using an attribute value template:

                The use of braces in a result element's attribute is an attribute value
                template and is an expression for "value-of".

                I hope this helps.

                ................... Ken

                --
                Upcoming hands-on in-depth XSLT/XPath and/or XSL-FO:
                - North America: Feb 3 - Feb 7,2002

                ISBN 0-13-065196-6 Definitive XSLT and XPath
                ISBN 0-13-140374-5 Definitive XSL-FO
                Next public training: 2002-12-08,2003-02-03,06,03-03,06
              • Tony Weeg
                Message 7 of 8 , Nov 4, 2002
                  thanks KEN!

                  that worked like a charm....where can i get info like
                  this, is there a good site?

                  also, while im at it, and you are 1 for 1, ill try another
                  question, fer ya....can i parse cookie held variables
                  in and xsl/xml page...

                  for instance, if i had a cookie variable called, TTT, and i wanted
                  that to show up in a url, could i call that cookie variable in xsl
                  and have it dynamically become part of the same url?

                  thanks.
                  tw

                  <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

                  Message 8 of 8 , Nov 5, 2002
                    At 2002-11-04 22:31 -0500, Tony Weeg wrote:
                    >that worked like a charm....where can i get info like
                    >this, is there a good site?

                    There is an *excellent* FAQ at:

                    http://www.dpawson.co.uk

                    Also, we sell from our web site an extensively hyperlinked electronic book
                    on XSL-FO that we author in XML and produce using XSL-FO (if you buy any
                    edition you have access to all future editions at no charge). Prentice
                    Hall is releasing a paper rendition in February, and it is also produced
                    using XSL-FO, as was true for the paper rendition of our XSLT/XPath book.

                    Yet another option is we also offer public hands-on courses in North
                    America (you travel) and deliver on-site training anywhere in the world (I
                    travel) http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/f/ as do many other companies
                    (check out both Mulberry Technologies http://www.MulberryTech.com and
                    ISOGEN International http://www.ISOGEN.com as they have quality materials
                    and quality instructors ... the three of our companies have long histories
                    in SGML that we have taken to XML ... you have lots of choices available to
                    you).

                    Our materials are licensed by companies around the world, so you may find
                    there is someone close to you who is already teaching these technologies
                    using our material.

                    >can i parse cookie held variables
                    >in and xsl/xml page...

                    I'm not too sure what you mean by the use of the verb "to parse" in the
                    above statement. If you have the cookie value somewhere in your XML source
                    instance, you can use the XPath address of that value in an attribute value
                    template as before. The XML processor in your XSLT processor has been used
                    once to produce the XPath tree that your stylesheet addresses in the act of
                    creating the result tree.

                    >for instance, if i had a cookie variable called, TTT, and i wanted
                    >that to show up in a url, could i call that cookie variable in xsl
                    >and have it dynamically become part of the same url?

                    Variables are referenced using $name notation ... but be aware that in any
                    given scope variables do not vary. It may take some planning ahead for you
                    to have the required value in your variable at the time you need it.

                    Don't, however, be mistaken as many programmers approaching XSLT are that
                    the value has to be in a variable before you can use it ... if the value
                    you need can be obtained by an XPath address, you can just address
                    it. XPath, like the DOM, gives access to the entire XML source instance at
                    all times during the transformation process.

                    I hope this helps.

                    --
                    Upcoming hands-on in-depth XSLT/XPath and/or XSL-FO:
                    - North America: Feb 3 - Feb 7,2003