Pagenumber

  • Alicja Gacka
    Message 1 of 10 , Mar 1, 2001
      Hallo,
      I have a question about pagenumber.
      It's easy to set the pagenumber with <fo:page-number/> but I neet to set

      the generated pagenumber too, such es "page 1 of 4".
      Knows anyone how can I do it, the Problem is I must generate my document

      dinamicaly and I don't know how meny pages it will have at the end.

      Alice
    • LEvensen@iKnowMed.com
      Message 2 of 10 , Mar 1, 2001
        It seems you've answered your own question, that is, unless you know how
        many pages in total you will have on page 1 you can't specify '1 of 4',
        although it doesn't stop some
        people from putting that into specifications or such.

        Message 3 of 10 , Mar 1, 2001
          You can always create a page number reference to an object that is
          guaranteed to appear on the last page:

          ... of <fo:page-number-citation ref-id="LastParaInDocID" />.

          <fo:block id="LastParaInDocID">Hi, I'm just here so I can be referenced to
          find the last page number</fo:block>

          Neil.

          Message 4 of 10 , Mar 1, 2001
            LEvensen@... writes:
            > It seems you've answered your own question, that is, unless you know how
            > many pages in total you will have on page 1 you can't specify '1 of 4',
            > although it doesn't stop some
            > people from putting that into specifications or such.

            oh come, its easy. replace the "4" with a page number reference to a
            label at the end of the document.

            sebastian
          • LEvensen@iKnowMed.com
            Message 5 of 10 , Mar 1, 2001
              Thanks for your greater knowledge

            • hakan.lindestaf@epani.com
              Message 6 of 10 , Mar 1, 2001
                This is a very good solution, but my problem is that I'm looping a
                collection and for each item I'm creating a new page-sequence. That
                means to be able to get the number of pages I have to create a blank
                page last, and I don't want that. Does anybody have a solution? Is
                there a way to prohibit blank pages to be shown? Can I create
                a "dummy" tag with only a id and put that last to get the last page
                number.

                Please help,

                /Hakan

                --- In XSL-FO@y..., Neil Bradley <neil.bradley@r...> wrote:

                > You can always create a page number reference to an object that is
                > guaranteed to appear on the last page:
                >
                > ... of <fo:page-number-citation ref-id="LastParaInDocID" />.
                >
                > <fo:block id="LastParaInDocID">Hi, I'm just here so I can be
                referenced to
                > find the last page number</fo:block>
                >

                > Neil.

                http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
              • Nikolai Grigoriev
                Message 7 of 10 , Mar 1, 2001
                  Hakan,

                  I suggest to look at www.renderx.com/tutorial.html - for two reasons:

                  - first, because this case is covered in Chapter XIV;

                  - second, because the PDF version of the tutorial itself uses the format
                  of the page number that you need (Page X of Y, count restarted at the
                  beginning of the page sequence). The XML source and the stylesheet
                  for XSL FO are also available from the link above: please download
                  and look how it was done.

                  Regards,
                  Nikolai Grigoriev

                  RenderX

                  Message 8 of 10 , Mar 1, 2001
                    Thanks Nikolai,

                    but the solution in the tutorial is exactly the same as in the
                    message I replied to. My problem, and maybe I've solved this in a
                    weird way, is that I have a collection where one item in the
                    collection should be on a new page. I also want information from this
                    item to be put in the static piece of that page. The subitems in the
                    item can span over more than one page.

                    So I created something like this:
                    <!-- For each IStartHoleTeeTimes object -->
                    <xsl:for-each select="/root/coll/coll_Item">
                    <fo:page-sequence master-name="simple">
                    <fo:title>Starter List report</fo:title>
                    <fo:static-content flow-name="xsl-region-before">
                    <fo:block text-align="center" font-weight="bold" font-
                    size="16pt">
                    Starter List - <xsl:value-of select="tcoursename"/> <xsl:value-
                    of select="user:getDateString(string(ddate))"/>
                    </fo:block>
                    </fo:static-content>

                    That means I create a new page-seq. for each item. Everything outputs
                    correct, but since my outer loop is outside the page-seq. I'm not
                    sure where to put the page-number-citation-id.

                    Thanks,

                    /Hakan

                    --- In XSL-FO@y..., "Nikolai Grigoriev" <grig@r...> wrote:
                    > Hakan,
                    >
                    > I suggest to look at www.renderx.com/tutorial.html - for two
                    reasons:

                    > - first, because this case is covered in Chapter XIV;
                    >
                    > - second, because the PDF version of the tutorial itself uses the
                    format
                    > of the page number that you need (Page X of Y, count restarted at
                    the
                    > beginning of the page sequence). The XML source and the stylesheet
                    > for XSL FO are also available from the link above: please download
                    > and look how it was done.
                    >
                    > Regards,
                    > Nikolai Grigoriev
                    >
                    > RenderX

                  • Nikolai Grigoriev
                    Message 9 of 10 , Mar 1, 2001
                      Hakan,

                      > That means I create a new page-seq. for each item. Everything outputs
                      > correct, but since my outer loop is outside the page-seq. I'm not
                      > sure where to put the page-number-citation-id.

                      Generate an empty termination block in each sequence, and refer to it. Use
                      generate-id() to get a unique id, like this:

                      <!-- For each IStartHoleTeeTimes object -->
                      <xsl:for-each select="/root/coll/coll_Item">
                      <!-- Get a unigue number -->
                      <xsl:variable name="end-id"
                      select="concat('terminator-', generate-id())"/>

                      <fo:page-sequence master-name="simple"
                      initial-page-number="1"
                      force-page-count="no-force">
                      <fo:static-content flow-name="xsl-region-before">
                      <fo:block>
                      Page <fo:page-number/>
                      of <fo:page-number-citation ref-id="{$end-id}"/>
                      </fo:block>
                      </fo:static-content>
                      <fo:flow flow-name="xsl-region-body">
                      <fo:block id="{$end-id}"/>
                      </fo:flow>
                      </fo:page-sequence>

                      (I omitted all irrelevant fragments from your sample)

                      I have put force-page-count="no-force" - this is normally used with simplex
                      printing. Otherwise the formatter will complement page sequences to end at even
                      pages - it's another cryptic feature of XSL FO :-).

                      Regards,
                      Nikolai
                    • hakan.lindestaf@epani.com
                      Message 10 of 10 , Mar 1, 2001
                        Sorry but this didn't work. If I have two main items in my collection
                        and the total pages was 7 and the first main item generated 5 pages
                        and the last one generated 2 pages, the page x of y would be:
                        Page 1 of 5
                        Page 2 of 5
                        Page 3 of 5
                        Page 4 of 5
                        Page 5 of 5
                        Page 6 of 7
                        Page 7 of 7

                        But I found another way of doing this. I checked inside the page-seq.
                        if I'm at the last main item in the main collection, and if I am then
                        I create a dummy block with an id. It works for now, even though not
                        the nicest solution.

                        Thanks for all your help, I really really appreciate it!