Centering a block on the page

  • W. Eliot Kimber
    Message 1 of 17 , Oct 29, 2002
      Is there a way to center a block on a page in both directions?

      By using a block-container with a block-container-dimension of 100% and
      a display-align of center, I can center a contained block of text
      vertically, but I can't figure out how to also center it
      horizontally--clearly text-align only applies to inline areas w/in the
      block.

      Is there something obvious I'm missing?

      Thanks,

      Eliot
      --
      W. Eliot Kimber, eliot@...
      Consultant, ISOGEN International

      1016 La Posada Dr., Suite 240
      Austin, TX 78752 Phone: 512.656.4139
    • W. Eliot Kimber
      Message 2 of 17 , Oct 29, 2002
        W. Eliot Kimber wrote:
        > Is there a way to center a block on a page in both directions?
        >
        > By using a block-container with a block-container-dimension of 100% and
        > a display-align of center, I can center a contained block of text
        > vertically, but I can't figure out how to also center it
        > horizontally--clearly text-align only applies to inline areas w/in the
        > block.

        I did find one solution, although I'm not sure its the best solution:

        <fo:flow
        display-align="center">
        <fo:block-container
        reference-orientation="-90">
        <fo:block-container
        reference-orientation="90">
        <fo:block-container
        block-progression-dimension="100%"
        inline-progression-dimension="20%">
        <fo:block border-style="solid">this will be centered in middle
        of page</fo:block>
        </fo:block-container>
        </fo:block-container>
        </fo:block-container>
        </fo:flow>

        Cheers,

        Eliot

        Message 3 of 17 , Oct 29, 2002
          W. Eliot Kimber wrote:
          > W. Eliot Kimber wrote:

          > I did find one solution, although I'm not sure its the best solution:

          On further exploration, I discovered that XSL Formatter does this
          centering consistently regardless of what the reference-orientation is
          for the containing flow, but XEP only does it if the reference
          orientation of the flow is 0 or 180--if it is a multiple of 90 degrees,
          XEP does not center in the "inline progression" direction.

          So one or the other of these implementations is not doing something
          correctly, but I don't know which one it is.

          Cheers,

          Eliot
          --
          W. Eliot Kimber, eliot@...
          Consultant, ISOGEN International

          1016 La Posada Dr., Suite 240
          Austin, TX 78752 Phone: 512.656.4139
        • Oleg Tkachenko
          Message 4 of 17 , Oct 29, 2002
            W. Eliot Kimber wrote:
            > Is there a way to center a block on a page in both directions?
            >
            > By using a block-container with a block-container-dimension of 100% and
            > a display-align of center, I can center a contained block of text
            > vertically, but I can't figure out how to also center it
            > horizontally--clearly text-align only applies to inline areas w/in the
            > block.
            If you know block's inline-progression-dimension there is usual trick
            with start-indent:
            <fo:block start-indent="(100% - 100mm) div 2" end-indent="(100% - 100mm)
            div 2">foo bar</fo:block>
            But that's really only a trick.

            --
            Oleg Tkachenko
            eXperanto team
            Message 5 of 17 , Oct 29, 2002
              > > I did find one solution, although I'm not sure its the best solution:
              >
              > On further exploration, I discovered that XSL Formatter does this
              > centering consistently regardless of what the reference-orientation is
              > for the containing flow, but XEP only does it if the reference
              > orientation of the flow is 0 or 180--if it is a multiple of 90 degrees,
              > XEP does not center in the "inline progression" direction.

              Eliot,

              what is 'reference-orientation' of a flow? The only attribute that applies to a flow
              is flow-name. A page region or a block container can be rotated using reference
              orientation, but then inline-progression must be specified for a rotated block-container
              unless it coincides with containing area's inline progression dimension.

              When a block container is placed inside another block container and rotated by an odd
              multiple of 90 degrees, it's block progression dimension becomes equal to containing
              block's inline progression dimension (unless explicitely specified); in XEP, it's
              inline progression dimension becomes equal to the maximum possible size of containing area's
              block progression dimension, although a better implementation would complain that
              inline-progression-dimension must be specified.

              David
              Message 6 of 17 , Oct 30, 2002
                At 2002-10-29 17:08 -0600, W. Eliot Kimber wrote:
                >Is there a way to center a block on a page in both directions?
                >
                >By using a block-container with a block-container-dimension of 100% and
                >a display-align of center, I can center a contained block of text
                >vertically, but I can't figure out how to also center it
                >horizontally--clearly text-align only applies to inline areas w/in the
                >block.

                When I've needed to do this (for address blocks on envelopes and labels), I
                put it in a one-cell table, and then centre the table by putting it in a
                table-and-caption and use text-align=.

                I hope this helps.

                .................. Ken

                ISBN 0-13-065196-6 Definitive XSLT and XPath
                ISBN 0-13-140374-5 Definitive XSL-FO
                Next public training: 2002-12-08,2003-02-03,06,03-03,06
              • W. Eliot Kimber
                Message 7 of 17 , Oct 30, 2002
                  David Tolpin wrote:
                  >>>I did find one solution, although I'm not sure its the best solution:
                  >>
                  >>On further exploration, I discovered that XSL Formatter does this
                  >>centering consistently regardless of what the reference-orientation is
                  >>for the containing flow, but XEP only does it if the reference
                  >>orientation of the flow is 0 or 180--if it is a multiple of 90 degrees,
                  >>XEP does not center in the "inline progression" direction.

                  > When a block container is placed inside another block container and rotated by an odd
                  > multiple of 90 degrees, it's block progression dimension becomes equal to containing
                  > block's inline progression dimension (unless explicitely specified); in XEP, it's
                  > inline progression dimension becomes equal to the maximum possible size of containing area's
                  > block progression dimension, although a better implementation would complain that
                  > inline-progression-dimension must be specified.

                  Ok, I think I have a solution that both implementations render in the
                  same way:

                  <fo:flow>
                  <fo:block-container
                  display-align="center"
                  reference-orientation="-90">
                  <fo:block-container
                  display-align="center"
                  inline-progression-dimension="30%"
                  reference-orientation="90">
                  <fo:block>stuff</fo:block>
                  </fo:block-container>
                  </fo:block-container>
                  </fo:flow>

                  Cheers,

                  Eliot

                  Message 8 of 17 , Oct 31, 2002
                    W. Eliot Kimber wrote:

                    > Ok, I think I have a solution that both implementations render in the
                    > same way:

                    > <fo:flow>
                    > <fo:block-container
                    > display-align="center"
                    > reference-orientation="-90">
                    > <fo:block-container
                    > display-align="center"
                    > inline-progression-dimension="30%"
                    > reference-orientation="90">
                    > <fo:block>stuff</fo:block>
                    > </fo:block-container>
                    > </fo:block-container>
                    > </fo:flow>

                    Very nice! But if you anyway restrict IPD to some known value, isn't the
                    following more simple:
                    <fo:flow>
                    <fo:block-container display-align="center" block-progression-dimension="100%">
                    <fo:block start-indent="33%" end-indent="33%">stuff</fo:block>
                    </fo:block-container>
                    </fo:flow>

                    --
                    Oleg Tkachenko
                    eXperanto team
                    Multiconn Technologies, Israel
                  • Rolf Hustad
                    Message 9 of 17 , Oct 31, 2002
                      Hello everybody!

                      I have been trying to create an index flag on the right page of a 500 page
                      book/catalogue, so that it creates a visible quick reference to each chapter
                      on the paper edge.

                      I`ve tried to but it as image in a <fo:static-content
                      flow-name="index-field"> on the right page, but this only gives me i single
                      image in the hole book.

                      I would like to choose the image according to the chapter id and still keep
                      it on the right hand page, no matter if the page is an odd or even numbered
                      page .

                      I have done the job manually, but wanted to do it during the processing to
                      save time. I have attached a extracted pdf to explain what I mean.

                      Rolf Hustad
                      Senior Consultant
                      MK Documentation

                    • W. Eliot Kimber
                      Message 10 of 17 , Oct 31, 2002
                        Rolf Hustad wrote:
                        > Hello everybody!
                        >
                        > I have been trying to create an index flag on the right page of a 500 page
                        > book/catalogue, so that it creates a visible quick reference to each chapter
                        > on the paper edge.
                        >
                        > I`ve tried to but it as image in a <fo:static-content
                        > flow-name="index-field"> on the right page, but this only gives me i single
                        > image in the hole book.
                        >
                        > I would like to choose the image according to the chapter id and still keep
                        > it on the right hand page, no matter if the page is an odd or even numbered
                        > page .

                        You should be able to do this using markers and arity-specific page
                        masters. You can put any flow objects in a marker (as long as they are
                        valid in the context where they are retrieved). At the place where you
                        know what the thumb tab value should be, you can generate the
                        appropriate text.

                        Note that if the tab is purely text, you should be able to get the
                        visual effect you want purely with FO markup--you shouldn't need to use
                        an image just to create, for example, a black box with a white text
                        label, just do something like:

                        <fo:block-container
                        block-progression-dimension="1in"
                        inline-progression-dimension="1in"
                        reference-orientation="-90"
                        background-color="black"
                        color="white"
                        font-family="sans-serif"
                        font-size="12pt"
                        font-weight="bold"><fo:block>Chap 1</fo:block></fo:block-container>

                        You need the block-container to get the rotation.

                        Cheers,

                        Eliot

                        Message 11 of 17 , Oct 31, 2002
                          Oleg Tkachenko wrote:
                          > W. Eliot Kimber wrote:
                          >

                          >>Ok, I think I have a solution that both implementations render in the
                          >>same way:
                          [...]
                          > Very nice! But if you anyway restrict IPD to some known value, isn't the
                          > following more simple:
                          > <fo:flow>
                          > <fo:block-container display-align="center" block-progression-dimension="100%">
                          > <fo:block start-indent="33%" end-indent="33%">stuff</fo:block>
                          > </fo:block-container>
                          > </fo:flow>

                          Yes, but what I wanted was a way to center stuff without disturbing the
                          stuff being centered (that is, I wanted the centering bit to be
                          transparent WRT to whatever the stuff being centered was otherwise
                          doing, in case, setting the orientation and writing mode.

                          Cheers,

                          E.

                          Message 12 of 17 , Nov 2, 2002
                            At 07:39 31.10.02 -0600, you wrote:
                            >Rolf Hustad wrote:
                            > > Hello everybody!
                            > >
                            > > I have been trying to create an index flag on the right page of a 500 page
                            > > book/catalogue, so that it creates a visible quick reference to each
                            > chapter
                            > > on the paper edge.
                            > >
                            > > I`ve tried to but it as image in a <fo:static-content
                            > > flow-name="index-field"> on the right page, but this only gives me i
                            > single
                            > > image in the hole book.
                            > >
                            > > I would like to choose the image according to the chapter id and still
                            > keep
                            > > it on the right hand page, no matter if the page is an odd or even
                            > numbered
                            > > page .
                            >
                            >You should be able to do this using markers and arity-specific page
                            >masters. You can put any flow objects in a marker (as long as they are
                            >valid in the context where they are retrieved). At the place where you
                            >know what the thumb tab value should be, you can generate the
                            >appropriate text.
                            >
                            >Note that if the tab is purely text, you should be able to get the
                            >visual effect you want purely with FO markup--you shouldn't need to use
                            >an image just to create, for example, a black box with a white text
                            >label, just do something like:
                            >
                            ><fo:block-container
                            > block-progression-dimension="1in"
                            > inline-progression-dimension="1in"
                            > reference-orientation="-90"
                            > background-color="black"
                            > color="white"
                            > font-family="sans-serif"
                            > font-size="12pt"
                            > font-weight="bold"><fo:block>Chap 1</fo:block></fo:block-container>
                            >
                            >You need the block-container to get the rotation.
                            >
                            >Cheers,
                            >
                            >Eliot

                            Hello Eliot
                            Thank you for the contribution, but I`m still having problems, the marker
                            ends up as a field in the "region body" but in the template="innhold" part
                            of flow of the document, not as I hoped it would in the
                            template="hoveddel", so I`m kind of stuck here.
                            The text does not show up in the field, and if I have no background color
                            set, nothing shows.
                            Do you know if there is someone who has some tested examples of this other
                            than the single example in the docs folder of the FOP 0.20.4 distribution?
                            Am I trying something that has not been implemented yet?
                            I`ve added parts of the stylesheet as a "text document this time" since my
                            pdf was stripped off.
                            If you have problems understanding this I can send you the whole stylesheet
                            if needed. Thank you in advance!
                            Here Goes!

                            <!-- from the <fo:layout-master-set> -->
                            <fo:simple-page-master master-name="right"
                            page-height="22cm"
                            page-width="15.85cm"
                            margin-top="1cm"
                            margin-bottom="1cm"
                            margin-left="2.5cm"
                            margin-right="2cm">
                            <fo:region-body margin-top="1.5cm" margin-bottom="1.5cm"/>
                            <fo:region-before region-name="header-right" extent="1cm"/>
                            <fo:region-after region-name="footer-right" extent="0.5cm"/>
                            <fo:region-end region-name="index-field" extent="1.5cm"/>
                            </fo:simple-page-master>
                            .
                            .
                            .
                            <fo:page-sequence-master master-name="alternating">
                            <fo:repeatable-page-master-alternatives maximum-repeats="no-limit">
                            <fo:conditional-page-master-reference master-reference="right"
                            odd-or-even="odd" />
                            <fo:conditional-page-master-reference master-reference="left"
                            odd-or-even="even" />
                            </fo:page-sequence-master>

                            <fo:page-sequence master-reference="alternating" initial-page-number="1">

                            <fo:static-content flow-name="header-left">
                            <fo:block text-align="start"
                            font-size="10pt"
                            font-family="Times Roman"
                            line-height="12pt" >
                            UD 2-1 Sikkerhetsbestemmelser for Hæren.
                            </fo:block>
                            </fo:static-content>

                            <fo:static-content flow-name="header-right">
                            <fo:block text-align="end"
                            font-size="10pt"
                            font-family="Times Roman"
                            line-height="12pt" >
                            UD 2-1 Sikkerhetsbestemmelser for Hæren.
                            </fo:block>
                            </fo:static-content>

                            <fo:static-content flow-name="footer-left">
                            <fo:block text-align="start"
                            font-size="10pt"
                            font-family="Times Roman"
                            line-height="12pt" >
                            <fo:page-number/>
                            </fo:block>
                            </fo:static-content>

                            <fo:static-content flow-name="footer-right">
                            <fo:block text-align="end"
                            font-size="10pt"
                            font-family="Times Roman"
                            line-height="12pt" >
                            <fo:page-number/>
                            </fo:block>
                            </fo:static-content>

                            <fo:static-content flow-name="index-field">
                            <fo:block>
                            <fo:retrieve-marker retrieve-class-name="index-flag"
                            retrieve-boundary="page"
                            retrieve-position="first-starting-within-page"/>
                            </fo:block>
                            </fo:static-content>
                            .
                            .
                            .
                            <!-- from the <fo:flow> -->

                            <fo:flow flow-name="xsl-region-body">
                            <xsl:call-template name="forklaring"/>
                            <xsl:call-template name="innhold"/>
                            <xsl:apply-templates select="hoveddel"/>
                            <xsl:apply-templates select="vedldel/vedlegg/kapittel"/>
                            <xsl:call-template name="ansvarsfordeling"/>
                            </fo:flow>

                            <!-- from the <main document processing> -->

                            <xsl:template name="hoveddel">
                            <xsl:apply-templates/>
                            </xsl:template>

                            <xsl:template match="hoveddel/kapittel">

                            <fo:block-container
                            height="1cm"
                            width="2.5cm"
                            left="2.5cm"
                            top="4cm"
                            position="absolute"
                            background-color="red"
                            text-align="start"
                            font-size="10pt"
                            font-family="Times Roman"
                            line-height="12pt">
                            <fo:marker
                            marker-class-name="index-flag">kapittel <xsl:value-of
                            select="@id"/>
                            </fo:marker>
                            </fo:block-container>

                            <fo:block font-size="16pt"
                            font-family="Times Roman"
                            line-height="16pt"
                            space-after.optimum="5pt"
                            color="maroon"
                            text-align="start"
                            break-before="page">
                            <xsl:choose>
                            <xsl:when test="@revisjon[.='siste']">
                            <xsl:attribute name="background-color">
                            rgb(208,208,208)
                            </xsl:attribute>
                            </xsl:when>
                            <xsl:when test="@revisjon[.='midlertidig']">
                            <xsl:attribute name="background-color">
                            rgb(255,112,112)
                            </xsl:attribute>
                            </xsl:when>
                            </xsl:choose>
                            <xsl:choose>
                            <xsl:when test="@id">
                            <xsl:attribute name="id">
                            <xsl:value-of select="@id"/>
                            </xsl:attribute>
                            </xsl:when>
                            </xsl:choose>

                            Message 13 of 17 , Nov 3, 2002
                              Rolf Hustad wrote:

                              > <fo:static-content flow-name="index-field">
                              > <fo:block>
                              > <fo:retrieve-marker retrieve-class-name="index-flag"
                              > retrieve-boundary="page"
                              > retrieve-position="first-starting-within-page"/>
                              > </fo:block>
                              > </fo:static-content>

                              I think you want retrieve-boundary="page-sequence", but I'm not sure
                              without testing your example, which I'll do when I get a chance.

                              > <xsl:template match="hoveddel/kapittel">
                              >
                              > <fo:block-container
                              > height="1cm"
                              > width="2.5cm"
                              > left="2.5cm"
                              > top="4cm"
                              > position="absolute"
                              > background-color="red"
                              > text-align="start"
                              > font-size="10pt"
                              > font-family="Times Roman"
                              > line-height="12pt">
                              > <fo:marker
                              > marker-class-name="index-flag">kapittel <xsl:value-of
                              > select="@id"/>
                              > </fo:marker>
                              > </fo:block-container>

                              You want to put the block-container inside the fo:marker--that is, the
                              block container will be rendered in the static content. Also, you have
                              to put a block inside a block-container--you can't go straight to text.

                              Another note: XSL Formatter should render this correctly, but XEP
                              currently has a limitation in its implementation of absolutely position
                              block containers such that they are always positioned relative to the
                              page reference area, not their containing reference area (which would be
                              the region-end in this example). I don't know about FOP because I
                              haven't been testing with it.

                              Cheers,

                              E.

                              Message 14 of 17 , Nov 3, 2002
                                W. Eliot Kimber wrote:

                                > I think you want retrieve-boundary="page-sequence", but I'm not sure
                                > without testing your example, which I'll do when I get a chance.

                                Here's a solution I came up with:

                                The page master:

                                <fo:simple-page-master master-name="body-page"
                                margin-top="0.5in"
                                margin-left="0.5in"
                                margin-right="0.0in"
                                margin-bottom="0.5in"
                                page-height="11in"
                                page-width="8.5in">
                                <fo:region-before
                                extent="1in"/>
                                <fo:region-after
                                extent="1in"/>
                                <fo:region-end
                                reference-orientation="-90"
                                extent="1in"/>
                                <fo:region-body
                                margin-top="1.5in"
                                margin-bottom="1.5in"
                                margin-right="1.0in"/>
                                </fo:simple-page-master>

                                Notice that I'm setting the reference orientation on the region
                                itself--I forgot before that you can do this. Also, the right page
                                margin is "0" so that the end region will align with the page edge. The
                                body region has to account for the lack of left page margin by
                                specifying its own margin.

                                In the page sequence:

                                <fo:static-content flow-name="xsl-region-end">
                                <fo:retrieve-marker
                                retrieve-boundary="page"
                                retrieve-class-name="thumb-tab"
                                retrieve-position="first-within-page"/>
                                </fo:static-content>

                                Using retrieve-boundary="page" does limit the tab to just the page on
                                which the marker appears, which is the desired affect in this case (if
                                you used page-sequence, the tab would occur on every page).

                                In my first-level section template. This results in a 1/2-inch square
                                tab right up to the page edge, with the text rotated 90 degrees
                                clockwise, white text on a black background:

                                <xsl:template match="body/section/title">
                                <fo:block
                                break-before="page"
                                ><fo:marker marker-class-name="section-2-title"/>
                                <fo:marker marker-class-name="thumb-tab">
                                <fo:block-container
                                inline-progression-dimension="0.5in"
                                block-progression-dimension="0.5in"
                                background-color="black"
                                color="white"
                                font-weight="bold"
                                display-align="center"
                                text-align="center">
                                <fo:block
                                font-family="sans-serif"
                                font-size="10pt"
                                line-height="110%">
                                <fo:inline>
                                <xsl:choose>
                                <xsl:when test="@tab-text">
                                <xsl:value-of select="@tab-text"/>
                                </xsl:when>
                                <xsl:otherwise>
                                <xsl:text>Sect. </xsl:text
                                ><xsl:number
                                count="section"
                                level="multiple"
                                from="body"
                                format="1."
                                />
                                </xsl:otherwise>
                                </xsl:choose>
                                </fo:inline>
                                </fo:block>
                                </fo:block-container>
                                </fo:marker>
                                </xsl:template>

                                Cheers,

                                Eliot

                                Message 15 of 17 , Nov 3, 2002
                                  W. Eliot Kimber wrote:
                                  > W. Eliot Kimber wrote:

                                  > <fo:static-content flow-name="xsl-region-end">
                                  > <fo:retrieve-marker
                                  > retrieve-boundary="page"
                                  > retrieve-class-name="thumb-tab"
                                  > retrieve-position="first-within-page"/>
                                  > </fo:static-content>

                                  Forgot to validate with XEP before I posted:
                                  c/first-within-page/first-starting-within-page"

                                  This example gives identical results with XEP and XSL Formatter.

                                  Cheers,

                                  E.

                                  Message 16 of 17 , Nov 3, 2002
                                    W. Eliot Kimber wrote:
                                    > W. Eliot Kimber wrote:
                                    > This example gives identical results with XEP and XSL Formatter.

                                    Actually, not *quite* identical. There is an acknowledged bug in XEP
                                    3.03 that causes it to not extend the start and end regions to the
                                    before and after edges of the page when precedence on region-before or
                                    after is "false" (the default), so XEP renders the tab a bit farther
                                    after-wards on the page than XSL Formatter does. But that's a very minor
                                    difference and something should be fixed in the next update of XEP.

                                    Cheers,

                                    Eliot

                                    Message 17 of 17 , Nov 3, 2002
                                      At 07:42 03.11.02 -0600, you wrote:
                                      >W. Eliot Kimber wrote:
                                      > > W. Eliot Kimber wrote:
                                      > > This example gives identical results with XEP and XSL Formatter.
                                      >
                                      >Actually, not *quite* identical. There is an acknowledged bug in XEP
                                      >3.03 that causes it to not extend the start and end regions to the
                                      >before and after edges of the page when precedence on region-before or
                                      >after is "false" (the default), so XEP renders the tab a bit farther
                                      >after-wards on the page than XSL Formatter does. But that's a very minor
                                      >difference and something should be fixed in the next update of XEP.
                                      >
                                      >Cheers,
                                      >
                                      >Eliot

                                      Thank you Eliot for your help so far, it will take me some time to check it
                                      all out, I`ll get back to you as soon as I`m done.
                                      Have a great day!

                                      Rolf.