RE: [XSL-FO] XML in XML

    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 9, 2002
      At 2002-10-09 13:49 -0400, Whitney, Dan (FPDG) wrote:
      >Although probably not a discussion for this group, just have to ask why is
      >using external entities not a good idea?

      Sorry, I didn't quite say that ... I said they were not a good idea for
      *sharing* information.

      I think they are a great idea and I use external parsed general entities
      extensively on a daily basis with very successful results in the very long
      term.

      My XSLT training material is made up of 37 separately authored XML external
      parsed general entities (at approximately a module and lesson granularity).

      My XSL-FO training material is made up of hundreds of external parsed
      general entities, most of which are synthesized from other XML instances.

      External parsed general entities are *wonderful* for managing a large
      single XML file as many separately editable system resources ... I keep all
      of my authored entities and "seed" documents (the ones I use to synthesize
      the hundreds of little entities) separately in my source code control system.

      Note that I said "single XML file".

      >What is the long term danger?

      The susceptibility of the parsing context ... the collection of entities
      used by the fragments of the XML document. Part of the DTD is found in the
      internal declaration subset and impacts on all of the fragments.

      Consider (and I've seen this) a shop using shared XML information in
      external parsed general entities. It works for months and everyone is
      happy. Someone changes the shared entity to refer to a new entity and
      updates their internal declaration subset of their XML, or their version of
      the DTD (that may not be shared) to define the entity so that their XML
      document is well-formed.

      Instantly, *every* other XML document sharing that fragment is now not
      well-formed because of the missing definition for the entity ... and since
      it isn't even well-formed, XML-based tools reject the instance (as it
      should!) instead of doing any kind of partial processing.

      With this in mind, I am very wary of sharing entities, though I have done
      so in a *very* limited and controlled fashion.

      In my own presentation environment I have slides shared between different
      presentations, and the authoring of presentations isn't as controlled. I
      don't use external parsed general entities to share a common slide, I use
      the document() function and the id() function to reach into an wholly
      contained XML document (that may be made up of multiple entities) and
      access the slide from the node tree (not the syntax of the entity) of the
      presentation.

      This way every presentation, regardless of how many fragments each is made
      up of, is accessed only as a wholly contained XML document and my authoring
      process for each presentation ensures they are self-consistent, without
      needing to worry about what other presentations might be sharing.

      I hope this helps.

      ISBN 0-13-065196-6 Definitive XSLT and XPath
      ISBN 0-13-140374-5 Definitive XSL-FO
      Next public training: 2002-12-08,2003-02-03,06,03-03,06