Truncating text in table cell

  • Colin Spear
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 7, 2002
      I have a document which includes a table cell that could sometimes
      include more data than could fit on one line. If I set the wrap-
      option to false the text runs over to the cell next to it. I want
      this text to simply be cut off, no ceremony. Any suggestions on how
      I can do this?
      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 7, 2002
        >I have a document which includes a table cell that could sometimes
        >include more data than could fit on one line. If I set the wrap-
        >option to false the text runs over to the cell next to it. I want
        >this text to simply be cut off, no ceremony. Any suggestions on how
        >I can do this?

        What XSL-FO formatter are you using? I know, FOP for example, does not have
        the ability to truncate or wrap text in a table cell unless it has spaces in
        the data. In this scenario, hypenation has to be used, to wrap long data,
        but this isnt always desirable.

        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 7, 2002
          At 2002-10-07 10:03 +0000, Colin Spear wrote:
          >I have a document which includes a table cell that could sometimes
          >include more data than could fit on one line. If I set the wrap-
          >option to false the text runs over to the cell next to it. I want
          >this text to simply be cut off, no ceremony.

          I put the block into a <block-container>, which by itself doesn't prevent
          the text from running over to the next cell ... but when I turn on
          overflow="hidden" on the <block-container>, I get the behaviour you are
          looking for:

          <block-container overflow="hidden">
          <block wrap-option="no-wrap">This is a block with
          wrap turned off.</block>
          </block-container>

          I hope this helps.

          ................. Ken

          ISBN 0-13-065196-6 Definitive XSLT and XPath
          ISBN 0-13-140374-5 Definitive XSL-FO
          Next public training: 2002-12-08,2003-02-03,06,03-03,06
        • Nitin Kumar
          Message 4 of 7 , Oct 7, 2002
            <fo:block text-align="center" hyphenate="true" hyphenation-character="-">
            <xsl:value-of select="."/>
            </fo:block>

            This way the text without spaces also wraps to next line
            so u could try desired output with other options of "hyphenate"

            Nitin

            I have a document which includes a table cell that could sometimes
            include more data than could fit on one line. If I set the wrap-
            option to false the text runs over to the cell next to it. I want
            this text to simply be cut off, no ceremony. Any suggestions on how
            I can do this?

            ----------

            Thank you.

          • Colin Spear
            Message 5 of 7 , Oct 9, 2002
              Thanks for the pointers Ken, its makes the most sense out of all the
              suggestions I got, the problem I have encountered now is: Everything I put
              in a block-container is not visible on the page, no matter what settings I
              use. Even if I remove all the attributes the block inside the
              block-container is not visible. I am using FOP.

              So you have any suggestions on this one?

              <http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/f/>

              <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

              Message 6 of 7 , Oct 9, 2002
                At 2002-10-09 14:46 +0200, you wrote:
                >the problem I have encountered now is: Everything I put
                >in a block-container is not visible on the page, no matter what settings I
                >use. Even if I remove all the attributes the block inside the
                >block-container is not visible. I am using FOP.
                >
                >So you have any suggestions on this one?

                Sorry, no ... I tested mine with Antenna House and got the desired
                behaviour before making my suggestion to you. I suspect it will also work
                with XEP 3 based on what I've read about the latest version they've released.

                .............. Ken

                ISBN 0-13-065196-6 Definitive XSLT and XPath
                ISBN 0-13-140374-5 Definitive XSL-FO
                Next public training: 2002-12-08,2003-02-03,06,03-03,06
              • Oleg Tkachenko
                Message 7 of 7 , Oct 9, 2002
                  Colin Spear wrote:
                  > Thanks for the pointers Ken, its makes the most sense out of all the
                  > suggestions I got, the problem I have encountered now is: Everything I put
                  > in a block-container is not visible on the page, no matter what settings I
                  > use. Even if I remove all the attributes the block inside the
                  > block-container is not visible. I am using FOP.
                  >
                  > So you have any suggestions on this one?
                  afaik unfortunately overflow property is not implemented in fop, so I believe
                  there is no way to get hidden overflow except for truncating cell text at xslt
                  stage, what seems to be not a good solution :(

                  --
                  Oleg Tkachenko
                  eXperanto team