Re: [XSL-FO] Formatting Objects considered harmful (Was: Using an XSL Formatt...

  • Håkon Wium Lie
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 19, 2001
      Also sprach AndrewWatt2001@...:

      > > http://www.opera.com/people/howcome/1999/foch.html
      >
      > Your document talks of "abuse" and "disaster". Can you convince me with some
      > more up to date commentary that your argument ... your prejudice maybe? ...
      > is well founded.

      Try [1].

      According to the XSL-FO mailing list archives, you spent a maximum of
      17 minutes reading my first email message [2], downloading the first
      document [3], reading the document, and writing your response [4].
      Feel free to spend more time on [1] :-)

      [1] http://www.myopera.com/people/howcome/2000/PODDP/
      [3] http://www.opera.com/people/howcome/1999/foch.html

      -h&kon
      Håkon Wium Lie ¢tº ¤þe®ª
      howcome@... http://www.opera.com/people/howcome
    • AndrewWatt2001@aol.com
      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 19, 2001
        In a message dated 19/02/01 17:59:23 GMT Standard Time, howcome@...
        writes:

        Try [1].

        According to the XSL-FO mailing list archives, you spent a maximum of
        17 minutes reading my first email message [2], downloading the first
        document [3], reading the document, and writing your response [4].
        Feel free to spend more time on [1] :-)

        [1] http://www.myopera.com/people/howcome/2000/PODDP/
        [3] http://www.opera.com/people/howcome/1999/foch.html

        Hakon,

        Your conclusion on this matter is no better founded than your conclusion
        regarding XSL-FO being allegedly harmful.

        Max Froumentin drew my attention several days ago to your opinion piece at
        [3] above.

        Last night I simply checked to see if you had updated it (you hadn't) or
        corrected any of the factual errrors in it (you hadn't).

        I was unimpressed by your opinion piece the first time I read it and spotted
        the errors in it. I see no reason, so far, to change my view.

        Andrew Watt
      • Ed Nixon
        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 19, 2001
          At 05:46 PM 19/02/2001 -0500, AndrewWatt2001@... wrote:
          I was unimpressed by your opinion piece the first time I read it and spotted
          >the errors in it. I see no reason, so far, to change my view.

          Andrew, I can't say I've been as riveted to this exchange as I could have
          been (say, the first time around 6 or 12 months ago) but I don't recall
          your itemizing the errors or proposing alternative views. If I missed your
          reasoned response, I'd be grateful if you could review it quickly for me
          either via the list or off-line.

          On the other hand if you are still reacting to the remark about smoking...
          whatever that came in Hakon's first response to your (rather dated) item on
          Antenna House, it may have been an attempt at humour that didn't make it
          across the Atlantic Ocean or the idiomatic gap between Scandinavian and
          North American versions of English. No need for prolonged heat and smoke

          Finally, if there is some other antecedent reason for the smoke, I'd
          suggest it be taken off line and buried somewhere in the bit bucket.

          Regards. ...edN