XSL->FO non breaking space question

  • smurphy999us
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 27, 2002

      We're using XSL to generate FO and then using FOP to generate PDF. We
      are having trouble controlling blank spaces. For example, we need
      firstName (1 space) lastName. Instead, our PDF is displaying as
      firstNamelastName. We've tried <xsl:text> </xsl:text>,  ,
      <fo:character> </fo:character>, <xsl:value-of concat(firstName, ' ',
      lastName)>.

      If anyone has any suggestions, we'd greatly appreciate it.

      Thanks,

      Steve
    • Mark Jackson
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 27, 2002
        I've been using   to generate a space within a block or inline.

        Regards,
        Mark Jackson

        http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
      • smurphy999us
        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 30, 2002
          Thanks for the reply. But, we have a further question. Which tags are
          you putting around the   We have <xsl:value-of select="//fName">
          and <xsl:value-of select="//lName"> and in between we've tried
          <xsl:text> </xsl:text>
          <fo:character> </fo:character>
          <fo:character character=' '/>
          and just

          Either the XML doesn't parse, FOP doesn't understand the character
          that gets generated and won't run, or there is no difference in the
          PDF.

          Thanks again for the reply. Any further help would be greatly
          appreciated.

          Steve

          --- In XSL-FO@y..., "Mark Jackson" <mark.jackson@p...> wrote:
          > I've been using   to generate a space within a block or inline.
          >
          > Regards,
          > Mark Jackson

        • Mark Jackson
          Message 4 of 4 , Sep 30, 2002
            I'm using this within character text inside an fo:block. As an example,
            try modifying the simple.fo that comes with FOP. Within the last
            fo:block, add the following sentence: This text is not
            stuck together.

            Once you are able to produce an FO file (by hand) that creates the
            proper spacing in the output PDF, then go back and make your stylesheet
            produce a similar FO file.

            This works with FOP 0.20.3 and XEP 2.77.

            Regards,
            Mark Jackson