Re: [XSL-FO] XSL:FO Numbered lists

  • Sandra Mcdonnell
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 23, 2002
      Ken,

      Thanks for the help, though I gotta say, I can't make your solution work
      at all. I didn't even get my number 1s on everything. ;-)

      What I am trying to get is output that appears as follows:

      1. STEP1
      StepContinue1
      2. STEP2
      StepContinue2

      etc etc. So I want the position of the Step element relative to the
      NumListItems in which is resides.

      My XML appears as follows:

      <NumList>
      <NumListItem>
      <Step>step1 </Step>
      <StepContinue> Step continue text </StepContinue>
      <Step> Step 2 </Step>
      <StepContinue> text </StepContinue>
      </NumListItem>
      <NumList>

      I can make my XSL generate my X-FO, and then render to PDF, but I can't
      make the count for the steps work out.

      Hope this clarifies my problem and that you have an excellent answer! I
      appreciate all your time!!!

      Sandy

    • Percival, Kate
      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 23, 2002
        Hi Sandra,
        Try <xsl:value-of select="count(preceding-sibling::step) + 1"/>
        That's what we use!
        Hope it helps,
        Kate

        G. Ken Holman wrote:

        >At 2002-09-20 16:44 -0400, Sandra Mcdonnell wrote:
        >
        >>The
        >>problem is that every item is number 1.
        >> <NumList>
        >> <NumListItem>
        >> <Step>Do numbered lists work? </Step>
        >> <StepContinue>Let's try to see if we can add a continued
        >>explanation to our numbered step.</StepContinue>
        >> </NumListItem>
        >> <NumListItem>
        >> <Step>Second Numbered Item</Step>
        >> <StepContinue>And its Continuing explanation...</StepContinue>
        >> </NumListItem>
        >> </NumList>
        >> <xsl:for-each select="NumListItem">
        >>
        >> <fo:list-item>
        >> <fo:list-item-label>
        >> <fo:block margin-left=".25in" font-size="10">
        >> <xsl:for-each select="Step [position()]">
        >> <xsl:number format="1."/>
        >> </xsl:for-each>
        >> </fo:block>
        >> </fo:list-item-label>
        >>

        >Note that Step[position()] is equivalent to Step.
        >
        >You don't give a lot of detail for what you need but if you just want to be

        >counting NuMListItem constructs, then use:
        >
        > <xsl:number format="1." count="NumListItem"/>
        >
        ><xsl:number> will look up the ancestry (starting at the current node)
        >looking for what is being counted, and then only does the counting once
        >something being counted is found.
        >
        >I'm afraid I cannot figure out from the remainder of your code what you are

        >trying to do with your Step and StepContinue constructs, but hopefully the
        >above will get you your incrementing list item numbers.
        >
        >................ Ken
        >

        >--
        >Upcoming hands-on in-depth Europe: Sep 18-Sep 20,2002
        >XSLT/XPath and XSL-FO North America: Sep 30-Oct 4,2002
        >
        >G. Ken Holman mailto:gkholman@...
        >Crane Softwrights Ltd. http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/f/
        <http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/f/>
        >Box 266, Kars, Ontario CANADA K0A-2E0 +1(613)489-0999 (F:-0995)
        >ISBN 0-13-065196-6 Definitive XSLT and XPath
        >ISBN 0-13-140374-5 Definitive XSL-FO
        >ISBN 1-894049-08-X Practical Transformation Using XSLT and XPath
        >ISBN 1-894049-10-1 Practical Formatting Using XSL-FO
        >Next public training: 2002-09-18,19,30,10-03,12-08,2003-03-04,07

        <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/>

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

        <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=233214.2377745.3805144.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=17050160
        61:HM/A=1227861/R=0/*http://ads.track-star.com/linker.ts?ts=1;2;312;3_2_11>

        <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=233214.2377745.3805144.1261774/D=egroupmai
        l/S=:HM/A=1227861/rand=475184851>

        <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

        Message 3 of 7 , Sep 23, 2002
          At 2002-09-23 09:53 -0400, Sandra Mcdonnell wrote:
          >Thanks for the help, though I gotta say, I can't make your solution work
          >at all. I didn't even get my number 1s on everything. ;-)

          :{)} Well, at least I did qualify my answer that I was unsure what you were
          asking for.

          >What I am trying to get is output that appears as follows:
          >
          >1. STEP1
          > StepContinue1
          >2. STEP2
          > StepContinue2
          >
          >etc etc. So I want the position of the Step element relative to the
          >NumListItems in which is resides.
          >
          >My XML appears as follows:
          >
          ><NumList>
          > <NumListItem>
          > <Step>step1 </Step>
          > <StepContinue> Step continue text </StepContinue>
          > <Step> Step 2 </Step>
          > <StepContinue> text </StepContinue>
          > </NumListItem>
          ><NumList>

          I'm quite confused that you have wrapped all of your steps into a single
          NumListItem. Is there is only ever one item in the list? if not, what
          does it mean to have more than one since each one appears to have multiple
          steps?

          >I can make my XSL generate my X-FO, and then render to PDF, but I can't
          >make the count for the steps work out.

          This tells me you are successfully introducing the FO structure needed for
          list items from your XML source with a "flat" set of list items. Most
          people do not recognize the nuances involved in converting a flat
          collection into a nested structure.

          Kate's suggestion of using 1 plus the count of previous steps looks sound!

          ................... Ken

          Message 4 of 7 , Sep 23, 2002
            Thanks Ken (And Kate!),

            >I'm quite confused that you have wrapped all of your steps into a single
            >NumListItem. Is there is only ever one item in the list? if not, what
            >does it mean to have more than one since each one appears to have multiple
            >steps?

            Initially I did not include the NumListItems. I just had the following:

            <NumList>
            <Step> Step1</Step>
            <StepContinue> Text </StepContinue>
            <Step> Step2</Step>
            <StepContinue> Text </StepContinue>
            </NumList>

            But something in the FO List structure made me think I needed the extra
            element... Sigh. I really am new at ALL this. And I read everything I
            can, I just can't always make it work...

            >This tells me you are successfully introducing the FO structure needed for
            >list items from your XML source with a "flat" set of list items. Most
            >people do not recognize the nuances involved in converting a flat
            >collection into a nested structure.
            >
            >Kate's suggestion of using 1 plus the count of previous steps looks sound!

            Alas, when I tried Kate's suggestion, I get NO numbers at all. I think
            maybe I'm placing both it and my attempt at position() in the wrong
            spot, but no amount of maneuvering has been successful.

            Thanks again!

            Sandy
            Message 5 of 7 , Sep 23, 2002
              At 2002-09-23 17:13 -0400, Sandra Mcdonnell wrote:
              >Thanks Ken (And Kate!),
              >
              > >I'm quite confused that you have wrapped all of your steps into a single
              > >NumListItem. Is there is only ever one item in the list? if not, what
              > >does it mean to have more than one since each one appears to have multiple
              > >steps?
              > >
              >Initially I did not include the NumListItems. I just had the following:
              >
              ><NumList>
              > <Step> Step1</Step>
              > <StepContinue> Text </StepContinue>
              > <Step> Step2</Step>
              > <StepContinue> Text </StepContinue>
              ></NumList>
              >
              >But something in the FO List structure made me think I needed the extra
              >element... Sigh. I really am new at ALL this. And I read everything I
              >can, I just can't always make it work...

              Often it is a good rule of thumb to have as much structure as possible
              without redundancy. It is usually helpful to have containers for anything
              that is repeated. Your task will be much easier if you had something along
              the lines of:

              <NumList>
              <NumListItem>
              <Step> Step1</Step>
              <StepContinue> Text </StepContinue>
              </NumListItem>
              <NumListItem>
              <Step> Step2</Step>
              <StepContinue> Text </StepContinue>
              </NumListItem>
              </NumList>

              Not only have you containerized your steps, your required FO tree will be
              structured identically, and things should fall into place for you.

              NumList -> list-block
              NumListItem -> list-item
              <xsl:number count="NumListItem"/> -> list-item-label
              Step and StepContinue -> block

              Again, I'm not sure why you have two "step" thingies. I away from my email
              in about 5 minutes for the next day or so, so someone else will hopefully
              follow up with your responses.

              Good luck (and hang in there)!