Re: [XSL-FO] XSL:FO Numbered lists

    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 21, 2002
      At 2002-09-20 16:44 -0400, Sandra Mcdonnell wrote:
      >The
      >problem is that every item is number 1.
      > <NumList>
      > <NumListItem>
      > <Step>Do numbered lists work? </Step>
      > <StepContinue>Let's try to see if we can add a continued
      >explanation to our numbered step.</StepContinue>
      > </NumListItem>
      > <NumListItem>
      > <Step>Second Numbered Item</Step>
      > <StepContinue>And its Continuing explanation...</StepContinue>
      > </NumListItem>
      > </NumList>
      > <xsl:for-each select="NumListItem">
      >
      > <fo:list-item>
      > <fo:list-item-label>
      > <fo:block margin-left=".25in" font-size="10">
      > <xsl:for-each select="Step [position()]">
      > <xsl:number format="1."/>
      > </xsl:for-each>
      > </fo:block>
      > </fo:list-item-label>

      Note that Step[position()] is equivalent to Step.

      You don't give a lot of detail for what you need but if you just want to be
      counting NuMListItem constructs, then use:

      <xsl:number format="1." count="NumListItem"/>

      <xsl:number> will look up the ancestry (starting at the current node)
      looking for what is being counted, and then only does the counting once
      something being counted is found.

      I'm afraid I cannot figure out from the remainder of your code what you are
      trying to do with your Step and StepContinue constructs, but hopefully the
      above will get you your incrementing list item numbers.

      ................ Ken

      --
      Upcoming hands-on in-depth Europe: Sep 18-Sep 20,2002
      XSLT/XPath and XSL-FO North America: Sep 30-Oct 4,2002

      ISBN 0-13-065196-6 Definitive XSLT and XPath
      ISBN 0-13-140374-5 Definitive XSL-FO
      Next public training: 2002-09-18,19,30,10-03,12-08,2003-03-04,07
    • Sandra Mcdonnell
      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 23, 2002
        Ken,

        Thanks for the help, though I gotta say, I can't make your solution work
        at all. I didn't even get my number 1s on everything. ;-)

        What I am trying to get is output that appears as follows:

        1. STEP1
        StepContinue1
        2. STEP2
        StepContinue2

        etc etc. So I want the position of the Step element relative to the
        NumListItems in which is resides.

        My XML appears as follows:

        <NumList>
        <NumListItem>
        <Step>step1 </Step>
        <StepContinue> Step continue text </StepContinue>
        <Step> Step 2 </Step>
        <StepContinue> text </StepContinue>
        </NumListItem>
        <NumList>

        I can make my XSL generate my X-FO, and then render to PDF, but I can't
        make the count for the steps work out.

        Hope this clarifies my problem and that you have an excellent answer! I
        appreciate all your time!!!

        Sandy

      • Percival, Kate
        Message 3 of 7 , Sep 23, 2002
          Hi Sandra,
          Try <xsl:value-of select="count(preceding-sibling::step) + 1"/>
          That's what we use!
          Hope it helps,
          Kate

          G. Ken Holman wrote:

          >At 2002-09-20 16:44 -0400, Sandra Mcdonnell wrote:
          >
          >>The
          >>problem is that every item is number 1.
          >> <NumList>
          >> <NumListItem>
          >> <Step>Do numbered lists work? </Step>
          >> <StepContinue>Let's try to see if we can add a continued
          >>explanation to our numbered step.</StepContinue>
          >> </NumListItem>
          >> <NumListItem>
          >> <Step>Second Numbered Item</Step>
          >> <StepContinue>And its Continuing explanation...</StepContinue>
          >> </NumListItem>
          >> </NumList>
          >> <xsl:for-each select="NumListItem">
          >>
          >> <fo:list-item>
          >> <fo:list-item-label>
          >> <fo:block margin-left=".25in" font-size="10">
          >> <xsl:for-each select="Step [position()]">
          >> <xsl:number format="1."/>
          >> </xsl:for-each>
          >> </fo:block>
          >> </fo:list-item-label>
          >>

          >Note that Step[position()] is equivalent to Step.
          >
          >You don't give a lot of detail for what you need but if you just want to be

          >counting NuMListItem constructs, then use:
          >
          > <xsl:number format="1." count="NumListItem"/>
          >
          ><xsl:number> will look up the ancestry (starting at the current node)
          >looking for what is being counted, and then only does the counting once
          >something being counted is found.
          >
          >I'm afraid I cannot figure out from the remainder of your code what you are

          >trying to do with your Step and StepContinue constructs, but hopefully the
          >above will get you your incrementing list item numbers.
          >
          >................ Ken
          >

          >--
          >Upcoming hands-on in-depth Europe: Sep 18-Sep 20,2002
          >XSLT/XPath and XSL-FO North America: Sep 30-Oct 4,2002
          >
          >G. Ken Holman mailto:gkholman@...
          >Crane Softwrights Ltd. http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/f/
          <http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/f/>
          >Box 266, Kars, Ontario CANADA K0A-2E0 +1(613)489-0999 (F:-0995)
          >ISBN 0-13-065196-6 Definitive XSLT and XPath
          >ISBN 0-13-140374-5 Definitive XSL-FO
          >ISBN 1-894049-08-X Practical Transformation Using XSLT and XPath
          >ISBN 1-894049-10-1 Practical Formatting Using XSL-FO
          >Next public training: 2002-09-18,19,30,10-03,12-08,2003-03-04,07

          <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/>

          Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

          <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=233214.2377745.3805144.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=17050160
          61:HM/A=1227861/R=0/*http://ads.track-star.com/linker.ts?ts=1;2;312;3_2_11>

          <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=233214.2377745.3805144.1261774/D=egroupmai
          l/S=:HM/A=1227861/rand=475184851>

          <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

          Message 4 of 7 , Sep 23, 2002
            At 2002-09-23 09:53 -0400, Sandra Mcdonnell wrote:
            >Thanks for the help, though I gotta say, I can't make your solution work
            >at all. I didn't even get my number 1s on everything. ;-)

            :{)} Well, at least I did qualify my answer that I was unsure what you were
            asking for.

            >What I am trying to get is output that appears as follows:
            >
            >1. STEP1
            > StepContinue1
            >2. STEP2
            > StepContinue2
            >
            >etc etc. So I want the position of the Step element relative to the
            >NumListItems in which is resides.
            >
            >My XML appears as follows:
            >
            ><NumList>
            > <NumListItem>
            > <Step>step1 </Step>
            > <StepContinue> Step continue text </StepContinue>
            > <Step> Step 2 </Step>
            > <StepContinue> text </StepContinue>
            > </NumListItem>
            ><NumList>

            I'm quite confused that you have wrapped all of your steps into a single
            NumListItem. Is there is only ever one item in the list? if not, what
            does it mean to have more than one since each one appears to have multiple
            steps?

            >I can make my XSL generate my X-FO, and then render to PDF, but I can't
            >make the count for the steps work out.

            This tells me you are successfully introducing the FO structure needed for
            list items from your XML source with a "flat" set of list items. Most
            people do not recognize the nuances involved in converting a flat
            collection into a nested structure.

            Kate's suggestion of using 1 plus the count of previous steps looks sound!

            ................... Ken

            Message 5 of 7 , Sep 23, 2002
              Thanks Ken (And Kate!),

              >I'm quite confused that you have wrapped all of your steps into a single
              >NumListItem. Is there is only ever one item in the list? if not, what
              >does it mean to have more than one since each one appears to have multiple
              >steps?

              Initially I did not include the NumListItems. I just had the following:

              <NumList>
              <Step> Step1</Step>
              <StepContinue> Text </StepContinue>
              <Step> Step2</Step>
              <StepContinue> Text </StepContinue>
              </NumList>

              But something in the FO List structure made me think I needed the extra
              element... Sigh. I really am new at ALL this. And I read everything I
              can, I just can't always make it work...

              >This tells me you are successfully introducing the FO structure needed for
              >list items from your XML source with a "flat" set of list items. Most
              >people do not recognize the nuances involved in converting a flat
              >collection into a nested structure.
              >
              >Kate's suggestion of using 1 plus the count of previous steps looks sound!

              Alas, when I tried Kate's suggestion, I get NO numbers at all. I think
              maybe I'm placing both it and my attempt at position() in the wrong
              spot, but no amount of maneuvering has been successful.

              Thanks again!

              Sandy
              Message 6 of 7 , Sep 23, 2002
                At 2002-09-23 17:13 -0400, Sandra Mcdonnell wrote:
                >Thanks Ken (And Kate!),
                >
                > >I'm quite confused that you have wrapped all of your steps into a single
                > >NumListItem. Is there is only ever one item in the list? if not, what
                > >does it mean to have more than one since each one appears to have multiple
                > >steps?
                > >
                >Initially I did not include the NumListItems. I just had the following:
                >
                ><NumList>
                > <Step> Step1</Step>
                > <StepContinue> Text </StepContinue>
                > <Step> Step2</Step>
                > <StepContinue> Text </StepContinue>
                ></NumList>
                >
                >But something in the FO List structure made me think I needed the extra
                >element... Sigh. I really am new at ALL this. And I read everything I
                >can, I just can't always make it work...

                Often it is a good rule of thumb to have as much structure as possible
                without redundancy. It is usually helpful to have containers for anything
                that is repeated. Your task will be much easier if you had something along
                the lines of:

                <NumList>
                <NumListItem>
                <Step> Step1</Step>
                <StepContinue> Text </StepContinue>
                </NumListItem>
                <NumListItem>
                <Step> Step2</Step>
                <StepContinue> Text </StepContinue>
                </NumListItem>
                </NumList>

                Not only have you containerized your steps, your required FO tree will be
                structured identically, and things should fall into place for you.

                NumList -> list-block
                NumListItem -> list-item
                <xsl:number count="NumListItem"/> -> list-item-label
                Step and StepContinue -> block

                Again, I'm not sure why you have two "step" thingies. I away from my email
                in about 5 minutes for the next day or so, so someone else will hopefully
                follow up with your responses.

                Good luck (and hang in there)!