Aligning a table in XSL-fo

  • asgorath02
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 9, 2002

      I'm pretty new to writing XSL-FO and was wondering if there is anyway
      to align a table or set the position of a table in XSL-FO. Much like
      how you can set <table align="right"> in HTML, or perhaps something
      where I can tell a table in mm where on the page it should appear.

      I would be very thankfull to anybody who could help me.

      With kind regards,
      Aldo Quispel
    • narinder_g
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 9, 2002
        hi Aldo
        Use a fo:block to hold your fo:table, and in the fo block put
        attribute text-align="right", center or left..
        eg.
        <fo:block text-align="right">
        <fo:table>....</fo:table></fo:block>
        Bye
        Narinder

        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 9, 2002
          At 2002-08-09 09:20 +0000, narinder_g wrote:
          >Use a fo:block to hold your fo:table, and in the fo block put
          >attribute text-align="right", center or left..
          >eg.
          ><fo:block text-align="right">
          ><fo:table>....</fo:table></fo:block>

          This is incorrect usage of XSL-FO and will not work in a conforming processor.

          As I understand it, in the context of a block, a nested table does not
          react to the text alignment. Which processor is giving you the behaviour
          you are quoting above?

          >Bye
          >Narinder
          >--- In XSL-FO@y..., "asgorath02" <Asgorath@d...> wrote:
          > > Hi,
          > >
          > > I'm pretty new to writing XSL-FO and was wondering if there is
          >anyway
          > > to align a table or set the position of a table in XSL-FO. Much
          >like
          > > how you can set <table align="right"> in HTML, or perhaps something
          > > where I can tell a table in mm where on the page it should appear.

          I posted working fragments of two approaches to centring a table here:

          http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-xsl-fo/2002Jul/0028.html
          http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-xsl-fo/2002Jul/0030.html

          You can either use <table-and-caption> with text-align= on any table or you
          can play with the start-indent= and the width of a table with fixed layout.

          I can't think of any other way, and I cite chapter and verse in those posts
          of the basis of my understanding.

          I hope this helps.

          .................... Ken

          --
          Upcoming hands-on in-depth 3-days XSLT/XPath and/or 2-days XSL-FO:
          - North America: Sep 30-Oct 4,2002

          ISBN 0-13-065196-6 Definitive XSLT and XPath
          ISBN 1-894049-07-1 Practical Formatting Using XSLFO
          XSL/XML/DSSSL/SGML/OmniMark services, books (electronic, printed),
          articles, training (instructor-live,Internet-live,web/CD,licensed)
          Next public training: 2002-08-05,26,27,09-30,10-03,07,10
        • narinder_g
          Message 4 of 4 , Aug 11, 2002
            --- In XSL-FO@y..., "G. Ken Holman" <gkholman@c...> wrote:
            > At 2002-08-09 09:20 +0000, narinder_g wrote:
            > >Use a fo:block to hold your fo:table, and in the fo block put
            > >attribute text-align="right", center or left..
            > >eg.
            > ><fo:block text-align="right">
            > ><fo:table>....</fo:table></fo:block>
            >
            > This is incorrect usage of XSL-FO and will not work in a conforming
            processor.

            > As I understand it, in the context of a block, a nested table does
            not
            > react to the text alignment. Which processor is giving you the
            behaviour
            > you are quoting above?
            Sorry I was wrong, but here is a way you can try..
            http://www.dpawson.co.uk/xsl/sect3/N8922.html#d210e78
            bye Narinder