Re: sidebar in the text

  • narinder_g
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 25, 2002
      --- In XSL-FO@y..., "Chris Bowditch" <bowditch_chris@h...> wrote:

      > >Hi
      > >I wish to put sidebars on my pages, the sidebar may contain
      different
      > >text for different pages (cant use fo:static..:( ). I am using FOP
      > >can anybody suggest something. Also has any body tried nesting
      > >fo:block-container in a fo:block element... it doesnot work for me,
      > >it gives a error of layout block area..
      > >
      > The method I used to get a sidebar working was to have a table
      (obviously
      > with no borders) with one column for content and one for the
      sidebar.

      > Dont know why you are trying to put a block-container in a block,
      they have
      > totally different purposes. A block-container has a specific size
      and
      > position set by the user, whilst positioning and size of blocks is
      > automatically computed by FOP.

      Hi Chris

      I was also thinking of tables but thought If I could get some other
      idea..:). I dont wish to use fo:block container in fo:block by
      purpose. But while writing XSL for a XML to get fo document, it might
      happen. If I have a template starting with fo:block but calling a
      template which has a fo:block-container, so it gets nested.. To avoid
      this I have to set conditions which is making the code a little
      messy.... That's all

      Thanks anyway
      Bye
      Narinder
    • Douglas Lovell
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 25, 2002
        You may also consider trying the list formatting objects. The list-item-
        label is essentially a side-bar to the list-item-body.

        Douglas Lovell

        "Chris Bowditch"
        <bowditch_chris@h To: XSL-FO@yahoogroups.com
        otmail.com> cc:
        Subject: Re: [XSL-FO] sidebar in the text
        07/25/2002 07:51
        AM
        Please respond to
        XSL-FO

        >Hi
        >I wish to put sidebars on my pages, the sidebar may contain different
        >text for different pages (cant use fo:static..:( ). I am using FOP
        >can anybody suggest something. Also has any body tried nesting
        >fo:block-container in a fo:block element... it doesnot work for me,
        >it gives a error of layout block area..

        The method I used to get a sidebar working was to have a table (obviously
        with no borders) with one column for content and one for the sidebar.

        Dont know why you are trying to put a block-container in a block, they have

        totally different purposes. A block-container has a specific size and
        position set by the user, whilst positioning and size of blocks is
        automatically computed by FOP.

      • Oleg Tkachenko
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 25, 2002
          narinder_g wrote:

          > I wish to put sidebars on my pages, the sidebar may contain different
          > text for different pages (cant use fo:static..:( ). I am using FOP
          > can anybody suggest something. Also has any body tried nesting
          > fo:block-container in a fo:block element... it doesnot work for me,
          > it gives a error of layout block area..
          You can try 2 columned region-body for such stuff.

          --
          Oleg Tkachenko
          Multiconn International, Israel