Re: [XSL-FO] sidebar in the text

    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 25, 2002
      >Hi
      >I wish to put sidebars on my pages, the sidebar may contain different
      >text for different pages (cant use fo:static..:( ). I am using FOP
      >can anybody suggest something. Also has any body tried nesting
      >fo:block-container in a fo:block element... it doesnot work for me,
      >it gives a error of layout block area..

      The method I used to get a sidebar working was to have a table (obviously
      with no borders) with one column for content and one for the sidebar.

      Dont know why you are trying to put a block-container in a block, they have
      totally different purposes. A block-container has a specific size and
      position set by the user, whilst positioning and size of blocks is
      automatically computed by FOP.

    • narinder_g
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 25, 2002
        --- In XSL-FO@y..., "Chris Bowditch" <bowditch_chris@h...> wrote:

        > >Hi
        > >I wish to put sidebars on my pages, the sidebar may contain
        different
        > >text for different pages (cant use fo:static..:( ). I am using FOP
        > >can anybody suggest something. Also has any body tried nesting
        > >fo:block-container in a fo:block element... it doesnot work for me,
        > >it gives a error of layout block area..
        > >
        > The method I used to get a sidebar working was to have a table
        (obviously
        > with no borders) with one column for content and one for the
        sidebar.

        > Dont know why you are trying to put a block-container in a block,
        they have
        > totally different purposes. A block-container has a specific size
        and
        > position set by the user, whilst positioning and size of blocks is
        > automatically computed by FOP.

        Hi Chris

        I was also thinking of tables but thought If I could get some other
        idea..:). I dont wish to use fo:block container in fo:block by
        purpose. But while writing XSL for a XML to get fo document, it might
        happen. If I have a template starting with fo:block but calling a
        template which has a fo:block-container, so it gets nested.. To avoid
        this I have to set conditions which is making the code a little
        messy.... That's all

        Thanks anyway
        Bye
        Narinder
      • Douglas Lovell
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 25, 2002
          You may also consider trying the list formatting objects. The list-item-
          label is essentially a side-bar to the list-item-body.

          Douglas Lovell

          "Chris Bowditch"
          <bowditch_chris@h To: XSL-FO@yahoogroups.com
          otmail.com> cc:
          Subject: Re: [XSL-FO] sidebar in the text
          07/25/2002 07:51
          AM
          Please respond to
          XSL-FO

          >Hi
          >I wish to put sidebars on my pages, the sidebar may contain different
          >text for different pages (cant use fo:static..:( ). I am using FOP
          >can anybody suggest something. Also has any body tried nesting
          >fo:block-container in a fo:block element... it doesnot work for me,
          >it gives a error of layout block area..

          The method I used to get a sidebar working was to have a table (obviously
          with no borders) with one column for content and one for the sidebar.

          Dont know why you are trying to put a block-container in a block, they have

          totally different purposes. A block-container has a specific size and
          position set by the user, whilst positioning and size of blocks is
          automatically computed by FOP.

        • Oleg Tkachenko
          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 25, 2002
            narinder_g wrote:

            > I wish to put sidebars on my pages, the sidebar may contain different
            > text for different pages (cant use fo:static..:( ). I am using FOP
            > can anybody suggest something. Also has any body tried nesting
            > fo:block-container in a fo:block element... it doesnot work for me,
            > it gives a error of layout block area..
            You can try 2 columned region-body for such stuff.

            --
            Oleg Tkachenko
            Multiconn International, Israel