table-cell height

  • Pouliot, Brian R.
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 9, 2001
      Not all of my cells in a row have the same height. They are just tall
      enough to fit the text they contain. Is there a way to specify that all the
      cells in a row be the same height?

      Thanks,

      Brian
    • AndrewWatt2001@aol.com
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 10, 2001
        In a message dated 09/02/01 20:27:17 GMT Standard Time, brpouliot@...
        writes:

        Not all of my cells in a row have the same height.  They are just tall
        enough to fit the text they contain.  Is there a way to specify that all the
        cells in a row be the same height?

        Thanks,

        Brian

        Brian,

        Which software are you using? Could we see the code?

        In the tables I have created as far as I recall when the height of one
        table-cell changes due to its content then the other cells in the row adjust
        correspondingly, which is what I wanted at the time.

        You seem to be saying that you are getting a row with some tall cells and
        some short cells. Is that what you are seeing? I would be interested to know
        which processor and to see the code.

        As far as the Spec goes this may be what you want:

        The <fo:table-cell> element has a "height" property. That can, as I
        understand it, be set to "auto" (the behaviour I think you are describing) or
        to a particular dimension.

        Sections 6.7.9 and 7.13.4 of the Candidate Recommendation may be what you
        need to look at.

        Regards

        Andrew Watt
      • Sebastian Rahtz
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 10, 2001
          Pouliot, Brian R. writes:

          > Not all of my cells in a row have the same height. They are just
          > tall enough to fit the text they contain. Is there a way to
          > specify that all the cells in a row be the same height?

          unless I am seriously mistaken, the table formatting algorithm has to
          do this anyway.

          if you are putting borders around cell blocks, put the properties on the cell
          itself

          sebastian
        • Pouliot, Brian R.
          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 12, 2001
            It only happens when I have a table nested inside another table. I was able
            to get around it by padding the text with white space.

            Thanks,

            Brian

[...]

            Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

            <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=176325.1307935.2900315.1248727/D=egroupmail/S=1700000
            001:N/A=567197/R=1/*http://domains.yahoo.com>
            www.

            <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=176325.1307935.2900315.1248727/D=egroupmai
            l/S=1700000001:N/A=567197/rand=641451988>

          • IKTindale@netscape.net
            Message 5 of 5 , Feb 13, 2001
              XSL-FO@yahoogroups.com wrote:

              > Pouliot, Brian R. writes:
              >
              >  > Not all of my cells in a row have the same height.  They are just
              >  > tall enough to fit the text they contain.  Is there a way to
              >  > specify that all the cells in a row be the same height?
              >
              > unless I am seriously mistaken, the table formatting algorithm has to
              > do this anyway.
              >
              > if you are putting borders around cell blocks, put the properties on the cell
              > itself
              >
              > sebastian

              The cell height of a table is often only taken as a suggestion rather than a forceful rule. If you want to force a row to be a certain height, the most foolproof method is to chuck in a shim - a transparent pixel gif to wedge it up to the desired height. Saves a lot of faffing about.

              Ian Tindale
              --
              Ian Tindale