XSL-fo with *2* in one document ...

  • cooltool911
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 15, 2002
      hi,
      this is my 1st post to this group ...
      since a few days I have to find a solution for a problem we have a at
      work. We need to print special documents which have a very strict
      specified format.
      Most of these documents look like this:
      - 2 columns on A4 size
      - each column is the same text just in a different laguage.
      so on the left there is lets say english on the right hand side
      there is french ...
      The tricky bit is now that languages are differently long, eg. a
      sentence in english might be a line shorter then the same sentence in
      german .. but the format has to be the same ... so if there is a new
      paragrah .. it has to start in both columns allways at the same
      postion (eg same distance from the top edge ..)
      The format has to be the same on both columns ...

      So I guess my 1st question is ... can xsl fo handel this?
      and
      if yes .. would it be possible to automate this process .. so that is
      the one paragrah is longer than the other, I dont have to edit the
      file by hand and add some extra lines to equal it out.

      Thanks,
      I guess it is quite hard to understand from what I wrote .. what my
      problem is .. but I give it a try any way
    • cooltool911
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 15, 2002
        --- In XSL-FO@y..., "cooltool911" <cooltool911@y...> wrote:
        > hi,
        > this is my 1st post to this group ...
        > since a few days I have to find a solution for a problem we have a
        at
        > work. We need to print special documents which have a very strict
        > specified format.
        > Most of these documents look like this:
        > - 2 columns on A4 size
        > - each column is the same text just in a different laguage.
        > so on the left there is lets say english on the right hand side
        > there is french ...
        > The tricky bit is now that languages are differently long, eg. a
        > sentence in english might be a line shorter then the same sentence
        in
        > german .. but the format has to be the same ... so if there is a
        new
        > paragrah .. it has to start in both columns allways at the same
        > postion (eg same distance from the top edge ..)
        > The format has to be the same on both columns ...
        >
        > So I guess my 1st question is ... can xsl fo handel this?
        > and
        > if yes .. would it be possible to automate this process .. so that
        is
        > the one paragrah is longer than the other, I dont have to edit the
        > file by hand and add some extra lines to equal it out.
        >
        > Thanks,
        > I guess it is quite hard to understand from what I wrote .. what my
        > problem is .. but I give it a try any way

        Ok I been thinking about my problem .. I made it even more
        complicated :)
        I am wondering if there is some sort of pre procesing build into any
        of the XSL-fo compilers (fop, xep, ..)
        which would return information about the formate back to the
        processing system. Eg to find out where this "letter" would be placed
        (what page, maybe even x/y coordinates of the page), so that I could
        uses this in some king of VBscript to automate my formatting process?

        cheers.
      • Oleg Tkachenko
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 15, 2002
          I believe a simple table is what you asking for.

          --
          Oleg Tkachenko
          Multiconn International, Israel
          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 15, 2002
            cooltool911 wrote:

            <---- Start ----->
            The tricky bit is now that languages are differently long, eg. a
            sentence in english might be a line shorter then the same sentence in
            german .. but the format has to be the same ... so if there is a new
            paragrah .. it has to start in both columns allways at the same
            postion (eg same distance from the top edge ..)
            The format has to be the same on both columns ...

            So I guess my 1st question is ... can xsl fo handel this?
            and
            if yes .. would it be possible to automate this process .. so that is
            the one paragrah is longer than the other, I dont have to edit the
            file by hand and add some extra lines to equal it out.

            Thanks,
            I guess it is quite hard to understand from what I wrote .. what my
            problem is .. but I give it a try any way
            <----- End ----->

            There may be other possibilities, but the first general answer that comes to
            mind is to use a 2-column table to accomplish this task. The second issue is
            how the rendering engine will implement a 2-column solution. Even some
            pretty high-end commercial software (FrameMaker, for example) cannot split
            table cells across 2 pages. Without that ability, if you have long
            paragraphs, you may end up with huge gaps in your pages, which is probably
            not what you want. I am not yet sure how each of the implementations handle
            this issue.

            Victor Mote (mailto:vic@...)
            Enterprise Outfitters (www.outfitr.com)
            2025 Eddington Way