Rendering engines questions

  • friefrench
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 30, 2002
      Hi all!

      I am currently using FOP but I found out that there are 2 things that
      I can't do with it:
      1. I define lines with a 1px height but although they appear on the
      screen, they didn't print. Apparently, FOP generate a "web" PDF but
      if you open it in acrobat and save it as a "Print" PDF then the lines
      print. Is anybody aware of how to get FOP to save the PDF as
      a "Print" PDF?
      2. FOP does not support the "keep-..." instruction. Is that true?

      So, I downloaded the evaluation version of XEP from renderx. I can't
      seen to find the command line instruction to run my XSL against my
      XML to produce a PDF using XEP. Does somebody have an example?
      My last question is: will XEP solve problems 1 and 2?

      Thank you for your help!
      Pascal ;O)

      PS: does somebody have an idea of XEP price?
    • Nikolai Grigoriev
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 1, 2002
        Hi Pascal,

        > 1. I define lines with a 1px height but although they appear on the
        > screen, they didn't print. Apparently, FOP generate a "web" PDF but
        > if you open it in acrobat and save it as a "Print" PDF then the lines
        > print. Is anybody aware of how to get FOP to save the PDF as
        > a "Print" PDF?
        > 2. FOP does not support the "keep-..." instruction. Is that true?
        >
        > So, I downloaded the evaluation version of XEP from renderx. I can't
        > seen to find the command line instruction to run my XSL against my
        > XML to produce a PDF using XEP. Does somebody have an example?

        There is no means to do it from the command line. XEP is primarily a Java
        component; the evaluation version is meant only to evaluate formatting
        quality. You have to do an additional step with any XSLT processor to
        create an FO document.

        The commercial version has SAX and DOM interfaces in the API, so there is
        no problem to tie it to any Java-based XSLT processor.

        > My last question is: will XEP solve problems 1 and 2?

        I cannot really grasp what is the first problem. 1px is 1/120 of an inch
        for us;
        a line of such a width will be visible both on the screen and on the paper.

        For the second problem, please browse XEP documentation (spec.pdf):
        there is a table documenting support for objects and properties. Keeps
        are implemented with a minor limitation: all page-level keeps are treated
        as column-level. (You will not see the difference if you use only
        single-column
        layouts, though).

        Regards,
        Nikolai Grigoriev
        RenderX
      • bryan
        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 2, 2002
          This is an interesting question that I think the answer to must be no,
          but perhaps there is something in the spec I've missed(actually I'm sure
          there's lots in the spec I've missed but is this one of the things?)
          The question being> Is it possible to have an element, such as block,
          table etc. overrun a layout defined column?