Using an XSL Formatter as an XSL-FO Web Browser

  • AndrewWatt2001@aol.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 8, 2001
      As some list members know I have been very positively impressed with the
      Antenna House XSL Formatter.

      I was even more impressed with it today when I found that I could use the
      Antenna House XSL Formatter as an XSL-FO Web Browser.

      If you have downloaded the pre-release version of the XSL Formatter simply
      type "http://www.xsl-fo.com/HelloWorld.fo" in the small window for entering
      the Document name and then click the Blue button to run the Formatter and,
      hey presto, you can view an XSL-FO page across the Web.

      If you haven't already tried out the Antenna House XSL Formatter then visit
      www.AntennaHouse.com and try the free download of the pre-release version.

      I think I have stated this before, but I have no contact with Antenna House
      other than as an impressed user of the Antenna House XSL Formatter.

      Andrew Watt
    • Pollington, Lee (ELSLON)
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 8, 2001
        I didn't really understand what the output is though, is it just for viewing
        XSL:FO in a windows environment?

        Lee

        As some list members know I have been very positively impressed with the
        Antenna House XSL Formatter.

        I was even more impressed with it today when I found that I could use the
        Antenna House XSL Formatter as an XSL-FO Web Browser.

        If you have downloaded the pre-release version of the XSL Formatter simply
        type "http://www.xsl-fo.com/HelloWorld.fo" in the small window for entering
        the Document name and then click the Blue button to run the Formatter and,
        hey presto, you can view an XSL-FO page across the Web.

        If you haven't already tried out the Antenna House XSL Formatter then visit
        www.AntennaHouse.com and try the free download of the pre-release version.

        I think I have stated this before, but I have no contact with Antenna House
        other than as an impressed user of the Antenna House XSL Formatter.

        Andrew Watt

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

        <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=176325.1307935.2900315.1248727/D=egroupmail/S=1700000
        001:N/A=567195/R=1/*http://domains.yahoo.com>
        Personalize your company┬┤s name. Choose the domain name below and press
        SEARCH!

        www.

        <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=176325.1307935.2900315.1248727/D=egroupmail/S=1700000
        001:N/A=567195/R=2/*http://domains.yahoo.com> Yahoo! Domains

        <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=176325.1307935.2900315.1248727/D=egroupmai
        l/S=1700000001:N/A=567195/rand=859547450>

      • AndrewWatt2001@aol.com
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 8, 2001
          lee.pollington@... writes:

          Hi Lee,

          The point of my recent post was that it was possible to view XSL-FO across
          the Web, something which I hadn't realised was possible before.

          The Antenna House XSL Formatter also lets you display XSL-FO on screen and
          print it too, as you would expect of an XSL Formatter.

          Whether, in the long term, it is *sensible* to view XSL-FO across the Web and
          print off pages as needed is a separate question. But if we can view XSL-FO
          in an XSL formatter/browser and print out information of interest with the
          page precision that XSL-FO allows that seems to me to be a potentially
          significant step forward from trying to print out HTML/XHTML pages.

          As I mentioned in a separate reply to Bryan it is also possible to embed
          images e.g. SVG images within the XSL-FO. So we can have precision layout and
          embedded graphics in XSL-FO. It seems to me that that has a lot of potential.

          I hope that helps.

          Andrew Watt

          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 8, 2001
            You're correct, the Antenna House XSL Formatter is very cool. I downloaded it the other day and was also impressed at the functions of the program. I've been looking at it and I like the feature of being able to easily make changes to a document by loading different XSL's into the XSL window. There are also other features that I haven't had to opportunity to explore just yet. It is definitely worth a look.