RE: [XSL-FO] tables

  • LEvensen@iKnowMed.com
    Message 1 of 9 , Feb 6, 2001
      I have used the border property only at the cell level as well, and it works

      Message 2 of 9 , Aug 14 4:32 AM
        Hi Everbody,
        I was working on transforming html like table elements in to pdf
        using fop. Can anybody help me by suggesting some algorithm for
        getting widths of columns, if the table is full of rowspan and
        colspan. The widths are mentioned in the xml itself, but the spanning
        thing has confused me a lot, is this possible with the help of xsl
        transformation..
        Bye
        Narinder
      • Oleg Tkachenko
        Message 3 of 9 , Aug 14 6:16 AM
          narinder_g wrote:

          > I was working on transforming html like table elements in to pdf
          > using fop. Can anybody help me by suggesting some algorithm for
          > getting widths of columns, if the table is full of rowspan and
          > colspan. The widths are mentioned in the xml itself, but the spanning
          > thing has confused me a lot, is this possible with the help of xsl
          > transformation..
          What do you mean by "The widths are mentioned in the xml itself" ? If you have
          widths, why do you want to recalculate them? html like table could be easily
          transformed into fo table with a little bit of problem with html's colgroup
          element.

          --
          Oleg Tkachenko
          Multiconn International, Israel
          Message 4 of 9 , Aug 15 9:41 PM
            This the sample of the tables I am talking about..here the width
            information is not in any particular row, and for fop we need to put
            widths in the table-column..and I am able to figure out how to
            extract the widths information..

            Narinder

            Message 5 of 9 , Feb 13, 2004
              At 2004-02-13 19:16 +0100, Peter Billen wrote:
              >I was trying to make a table like this:
              >
              >+-------+-----------------+
              >+ bla + this is a test +
              >+ bluuu + another one +
              >+ ... + .... +
              >+-------+-----------------+
              >
              >where the first column uses as less space as needed.

              In XSL-FO, you can only get anything other than a fixed layout by using the
              default table-layout= which is "auto" (though not implemented by all
              processors).

              When your table width is not 100%, then automatic layout typically uses "as
              less space as needed", though even with HTML automatic layout will
              sometimes wrap table contents undesirably.

              >This doesn't seem to work, it seems both columns use 50% of the horizontal
              >space, instead of something like 5% and 95%.

              Anything is allowed to happen because automatic layout is implementation
              defined. There are no guidelines for how to implement "automatic layout"
              ... section 7.26.16 says "any" algorithm.

              >I thought by setting the width
              >of the first column to 0%, it would use as less space as needed.

              The problem is with your specification of 100% for the second column ...
              XSL-FO allows you to go beyond the width of a table, so when you use 100%
              for the second column, it extends over the end of the table by as long as
              the first column is.

              >This works perfect in HTML.

              Really?? Is that by definition or is that by coincidence? I never realized
              one had such control in HTML ... when your rows have different makeup in
              each of the first columns, how does the browser choose which of the rows to
              use for establishing the width of the first column?

              >Do you guys have an idea? What I want is that the second column always start
              >at the same vertical position, so if you have another option, I'm glad to
              >hear it!

              The only guaranteed way I know of to do get close to you want, when you
              don't know the width of the first column, is to use side floats. Anything
              else in XSL-FO, lists, tables, etc., requires you to know in advance the
              width of the first column.

              Even then you aren't quite there, because when you have multiple rows, you
              cannot vertically align the content in the float with the content in the body.

              So, I think you can't have it both ways in XSL-FO. Either you specify the
              widths, or you let the engine do it for you ... I don't think you can mix
              the two for multiple rows for a table, having the second column of each row
              start at the same point when the content of the first column is arbitrary
              on every row.

              Sorry I can't help.

              --
              Public courses: upcoming world tour of hands-on XSL training events
              Each week: Monday-Wednesday: XSLT/XPath; Thursday-Friday: XSL-FO