Java, XSL-FO - alternatives to FOP for XML-PDF transformations

  • Mahony, Stephen S
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 14, 2002
      Hi there, , ...

      The Apache FOP Java XSL-FO api seems to be too limited in PDF
      transformations

      Are there other Java implementations of XSL-FO that I can use?

      Thanks
      Steve M

      Disclaimer and Confidentiality Note.

      Everything in this e-mail and attachments relating to the
      official business of Standard Bank Investment Corporation(Stanbic)
      is proprietary to the company. It is confidential, legally privileged
      and protected by law. Stanbic does not own and endorse
      any other content. Views and opinions are those of the
      sender unless clearly stated as being that of Stanbic.

      The person addressed in the e-mail is the sole authorised recipient.
      Please notify the sender immediately if it has unintentionally reached
      you and do not read, disclose or use the content in any way.

      Stanbic can not assure that the integrity of this communication has been
      maintained nor that it is free of errors, virus, interception or interference.
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 14, 2002
        At 2002-06-14 11:26 +0200, Mahony, Stephen S wrote:
        >Are there other Java implementations of XSL-FO that I can use?

        Freely available: IBM Alphaworks XFC at http://alphaworks.ibm.com/tech/xfc
        claims to implement a "substantial portion" (their words, not mine; I
        haven't tried it yet).

        Freely available: PassiveTeX at
        http://www.hcu.ox.ac.uk/TEI/Software/passivetex/ that uses TeX as the
        rendering engine (I've not tried it myself)

        Commercial: XEP at http://www.RenderX.com is very good (from personal
        experience) ... we used XEP to produce the camera-ready output of our
        "Definitive XSLT and XPath" book published by Prentice-Hall. All content
        is authored in XML, all transformations are done with XSLT, and all the
        final page images were composed using XSL-FO using XEP and the final PDF
        image was sent to Prentice-Hall for reproduction. We added a case study to
        the end of the book describing the process that we followed.

        For our electronic books that we sell from our web site and handouts at our
        instructor-led XML-related courses, our XSL-FO stylesheets are
        interchangeable between both XEP and the commercial Antenna House
        product. This fact that at least two commercial vendors support the
        identical complex stylesheet is a big reason XSL-FO exists: vendor
        independence.

        I hope this helps.

        ............. Ken

        --
        Upcoming: 3-days XSLT/XPath and/or 2-days XSL-FO:Sep 30-Oct 4,2002

        ISBN 0-13-065196-6 Definitive XSLT and XPath
        ISBN 1-894049-07-1 Practical Formatting Using XSLFO
        XSL/XML/DSSSL/SGML/OmniMark services, books (electronic, printed),
        articles, training (instructor-live,Internet-live,web/CD,licensed)
        Next public training: 2002-06-11,13,14,08-05,26,27,09-30,10-03
      • Oleg Tkachenko
        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 14, 2002
          Mahony, Stephen S wrote:

          > The Apache FOP Java XSL-FO api seems to be too limited in PDF
          > transformations
          That's wrong, output formats are PDF, PCL, PS, SVG, XML (area tree
          representation), Print, AWT, MIF and TXT, see
          http://xml.apache.org/fop/output.html. But primary format is pdf.
          Btw, you can easily develope you own renderer by subclassing
          org.apache.fop.render.Renderer, recently I did it to get tiff output and
          it was not a rocket engineering.

          Sure, see the list at http://www.w3.org/Style/XSL.

          --
          Oleg Tkachenko