RE: [XSL-FO] tables

  • Pouliot, Brian R.
    Message 1 of 9 , Feb 6, 2001
      <fo:table border-style="none" border-color="#AAA" border-width="0pt"
      height="1.0125cm">
      <fo:table-column column-width="5.548cm"
      border-style="none" border-color="#AAA" border-width="0pt"/>
      <fo:table-column column-width="5.548cm"
      border-style="none" border-color="#AAA" border-width="0pt"/>
      <fo:table-column column-width="5.548cm"
      border-style="none" border-color="#AAA" border-width="0pt"/>
      <fo:table-column column-width="5.548cm"
      border-style="none" border-color="#AAA" border-width="0pt"/>
      <fo:table-column column-width="5.548cm"
      border-style="none" border-color="#AAA" border-width="0pt"/>

      <fo:table-body font-family="Helvetica"
      font-weight="normal" font-size="8pt">

      <fo:table-row line-height="12pt">
      <fo:table-cell border-width="1pt"
      border-color="#AAA" background-color="#ffffff" border-style="solid"
      padding="0pt">
      <fo:block text-align="center"
      font-family="Helvetica" font-weight="bold" font-size="9pt"><xsl:value-of
      select="STOP_FRONT_DOOR_ENTRY"/></fo:block>
      </fo:table-cell>

      That should get you started.

      Brian

      Message 2 of 9 , Feb 6, 2001
        Pouliot, Brian R. writes:
        > <fo:table border-style="none" border-color="#AAA" border-width="0pt"
        > height="1.0125cm">
        > <fo:table-column column-width="5.548cm"
        > border-style="none" border-color="#AAA" border-width="0pt"/>
        > <fo:table-column column-width="5.548cm"

        In the XSL spec, all the border properties are marked as NOT to be
        inherited, so how can this work? and how could border properties be
        attached to column specifications?

        Am I being dense? can border properties be specified at the <fo:table> level?

        sebastian
      • Pouliot, Brian R.
        Message 3 of 9 , Feb 6, 2001
          Your probably right. The border property code in table-column may be
          redundant.

          This is the only border code I use in the table:

          <fo:table-cell border-width="1pt" border-color="#AAA"
          background-color="#ffffff" border-style="solid" padding="0pt">

          I should take the code out of table-column. My .xsl file is one I inherited
          from a co-worker....we're both learning as we go :)

          Brian

        • LEvensen@iKnowMed.com

            > <fo:table border-style="none" border-color="#AAA" border-width="0pt"
            > height="1.0125cm">
            > <fo:table-column column-width="5.548cm"
            > border-style="none" border-color="#AAA" border-width="0pt"/>
            > <fo:table-column column-width="5.548cm"

            In the XSL spec, all the border properties are marked as NOT to be
            inherited, so how can this work? and how could border properties be
            attached to column specifications?

            Am I being dense? can border properties be specified at the <fo:table>
            level?

            sebastian

          • narinder_g
            Message 5 of 9 , Aug 14, 2002
              Hi Everbody,
              I was working on transforming html like table elements in to pdf
              using fop. Can anybody help me by suggesting some algorithm for
              getting widths of columns, if the table is full of rowspan and
              colspan. The widths are mentioned in the xml itself, but the spanning
              thing has confused me a lot, is this possible with the help of xsl
              transformation..
              Bye
              Narinder
            • Oleg Tkachenko
              Message 6 of 9 , Aug 14, 2002
                narinder_g wrote:

                > I was working on transforming html like table elements in to pdf
                > using fop. Can anybody help me by suggesting some algorithm for
                > getting widths of columns, if the table is full of rowspan and
                > colspan. The widths are mentioned in the xml itself, but the spanning
                > thing has confused me a lot, is this possible with the help of xsl
                > transformation..
                What do you mean by "The widths are mentioned in the xml itself" ? If you have
                widths, why do you want to recalculate them? html like table could be easily
                transformed into fo table with a little bit of problem with html's colgroup
                element.

                --
                Oleg Tkachenko
                Multiconn International, Israel
                Message 7 of 9 , Aug 15, 2002
                  This the sample of the tables I am talking about..here the width
                  information is not in any particular row, and for fop we need to put
                  widths in the table-column..and I am able to figure out how to
                  extract the widths information..

                  Narinder

                  Message 8 of 9 , Feb 13, 2004
                    At 2004-02-13 19:16 +0100, Peter Billen wrote:
                    >I was trying to make a table like this:
                    >
                    >+-------+-----------------+
                    >+ bla + this is a test +
                    >+ bluuu + another one +
                    >+ ... + .... +
                    >+-------+-----------------+
                    >
                    >where the first column uses as less space as needed.

                    In XSL-FO, you can only get anything other than a fixed layout by using the
                    default table-layout= which is "auto" (though not implemented by all
                    processors).

                    When your table width is not 100%, then automatic layout typically uses "as
                    less space as needed", though even with HTML automatic layout will
                    sometimes wrap table contents undesirably.

                    >This doesn't seem to work, it seems both columns use 50% of the horizontal
                    >space, instead of something like 5% and 95%.

                    Anything is allowed to happen because automatic layout is implementation
                    defined. There are no guidelines for how to implement "automatic layout"
                    ... section 7.26.16 says "any" algorithm.

                    >I thought by setting the width
                    >of the first column to 0%, it would use as less space as needed.

                    The problem is with your specification of 100% for the second column ...
                    XSL-FO allows you to go beyond the width of a table, so when you use 100%
                    for the second column, it extends over the end of the table by as long as
                    the first column is.

                    >This works perfect in HTML.

                    Really?? Is that by definition or is that by coincidence? I never realized
                    one had such control in HTML ... when your rows have different makeup in
                    each of the first columns, how does the browser choose which of the rows to
                    use for establishing the width of the first column?

                    >Do you guys have an idea? What I want is that the second column always start
                    >at the same vertical position, so if you have another option, I'm glad to
                    >hear it!

                    The only guaranteed way I know of to do get close to you want, when you
                    don't know the width of the first column, is to use side floats. Anything
                    else in XSL-FO, lists, tables, etc., requires you to know in advance the
                    width of the first column.

                    Even then you aren't quite there, because when you have multiple rows, you
                    cannot vertically align the content in the float with the content in the body.

                    So, I think you can't have it both ways in XSL-FO. Either you specify the
                    widths, or you let the engine do it for you ... I don't think you can mix
                    the two for multiple rows for a table, having the second column of each row
                    start at the same point when the content of the first column is arbitrary
                    on every row.

                    Sorry I can't help.

                    --
                    Public courses: upcoming world tour of hands-on XSL training events
                    Each week: Monday-Wednesday: XSLT/XPath; Thursday-Friday: XSL-FO