tables

  • Bishen Beepath
    Message 1 of 9 , Feb 6, 2001
      How do I use "column-width" to set the width of
      columns in a table? Can anyone give me an example?

      Also I am trying to center graphics and tables on a
      page. I have tried using the text-align attribute but
      that dosen't work. Can anyone tell me how.

      Lastly, how do I get borders on a table? The border
      attribute dosen't seem to work.

      Thanks

      =====
      Visit my webpage at www.geocities.com/bishenk/

      http://auctions.yahoo.com/
    • Pouliot, Brian R.
      Message 2 of 9 , Feb 6, 2001
        <fo:table border-style="none" border-color="#AAA" border-width="0pt"
        height="1.0125cm">
        <fo:table-column column-width="5.548cm"
        border-style="none" border-color="#AAA" border-width="0pt"/>
        <fo:table-column column-width="5.548cm"
        border-style="none" border-color="#AAA" border-width="0pt"/>
        <fo:table-column column-width="5.548cm"
        border-style="none" border-color="#AAA" border-width="0pt"/>
        <fo:table-column column-width="5.548cm"
        border-style="none" border-color="#AAA" border-width="0pt"/>
        <fo:table-column column-width="5.548cm"
        border-style="none" border-color="#AAA" border-width="0pt"/>

        <fo:table-body font-family="Helvetica"
        font-weight="normal" font-size="8pt">

        <fo:table-row line-height="12pt">
        <fo:table-cell border-width="1pt"
        border-color="#AAA" background-color="#ffffff" border-style="solid"
        padding="0pt">
        <fo:block text-align="center"
        font-family="Helvetica" font-weight="bold" font-size="9pt"><xsl:value-of
        select="STOP_FRONT_DOOR_ENTRY"/></fo:block>
        </fo:table-cell>

        That should get you started.

        Brian

        Message 3 of 9 , Feb 6, 2001
          Pouliot, Brian R. writes:
          > <fo:table border-style="none" border-color="#AAA" border-width="0pt"
          > height="1.0125cm">
          > <fo:table-column column-width="5.548cm"
          > border-style="none" border-color="#AAA" border-width="0pt"/>
          > <fo:table-column column-width="5.548cm"

          In the XSL spec, all the border properties are marked as NOT to be
          inherited, so how can this work? and how could border properties be
          attached to column specifications?

          Am I being dense? can border properties be specified at the <fo:table> level?

          sebastian
        • Pouliot, Brian R.
          Message 4 of 9 , Feb 6, 2001
            Your probably right. The border property code in table-column may be
            redundant.

            This is the only border code I use in the table:

            <fo:table-cell border-width="1pt" border-color="#AAA"
            background-color="#ffffff" border-style="solid" padding="0pt">

            I should take the code out of table-column. My .xsl file is one I inherited
            from a co-worker....we're both learning as we go :)

            Brian

          • LEvensen@iKnowMed.com
            Message 5 of 9 , Feb 6, 2001
              I have used the border property only at the cell level as well, and it works

              > <fo:table border-style="none" border-color="#AAA" border-width="0pt"
              > height="1.0125cm">
              > <fo:table-column column-width="5.548cm"
              > border-style="none" border-color="#AAA" border-width="0pt"/>
              > <fo:table-column column-width="5.548cm"

              In the XSL spec, all the border properties are marked as NOT to be
              inherited, so how can this work? and how could border properties be
              attached to column specifications?

              Am I being dense? can border properties be specified at the <fo:table>
              level?

              sebastian

            • narinder_g
              Message 6 of 9 , Aug 14, 2002
                Hi Everbody,
                I was working on transforming html like table elements in to pdf
                using fop. Can anybody help me by suggesting some algorithm for
                getting widths of columns, if the table is full of rowspan and
                colspan. The widths are mentioned in the xml itself, but the spanning
                thing has confused me a lot, is this possible with the help of xsl
                transformation..
                Bye
                Narinder
              • Oleg Tkachenko
                Message 7 of 9 , Aug 14, 2002
                  narinder_g wrote:

                  > I was working on transforming html like table elements in to pdf
                  > using fop. Can anybody help me by suggesting some algorithm for
                  > getting widths of columns, if the table is full of rowspan and
                  > colspan. The widths are mentioned in the xml itself, but the spanning
                  > thing has confused me a lot, is this possible with the help of xsl
                  > transformation..
                  What do you mean by "The widths are mentioned in the xml itself" ? If you have
                  widths, why do you want to recalculate them? html like table could be easily
                  transformed into fo table with a little bit of problem with html's colgroup
                  element.

                  --
                  Oleg Tkachenko
                  Multiconn International, Israel
                  Message 8 of 9 , Aug 15, 2002
                    This the sample of the tables I am talking about..here the width
                    information is not in any particular row, and for fop we need to put
                    widths in the table-column..and I am able to figure out how to
                    extract the widths information..

                    Narinder

                    Message 9 of 9 , Feb 13, 2004
                      At 2004-02-13 19:16 +0100, Peter Billen wrote:
                      >I was trying to make a table like this:
                      >
                      >+-------+-----------------+
                      >+ bla + this is a test +
                      >+ bluuu + another one +
                      >+ ... + .... +
                      >+-------+-----------------+
                      >
                      >where the first column uses as less space as needed.

                      In XSL-FO, you can only get anything other than a fixed layout by using the
                      default table-layout= which is "auto" (though not implemented by all
                      processors).

                      When your table width is not 100%, then automatic layout typically uses "as
                      less space as needed", though even with HTML automatic layout will
                      sometimes wrap table contents undesirably.

                      >This doesn't seem to work, it seems both columns use 50% of the horizontal
                      >space, instead of something like 5% and 95%.

                      Anything is allowed to happen because automatic layout is implementation
                      defined. There are no guidelines for how to implement "automatic layout"
                      ... section 7.26.16 says "any" algorithm.

                      >I thought by setting the width
                      >of the first column to 0%, it would use as less space as needed.

                      The problem is with your specification of 100% for the second column ...
                      XSL-FO allows you to go beyond the width of a table, so when you use 100%
                      for the second column, it extends over the end of the table by as long as
                      the first column is.

                      >This works perfect in HTML.

                      Really?? Is that by definition or is that by coincidence? I never realized
                      one had such control in HTML ... when your rows have different makeup in
                      each of the first columns, how does the browser choose which of the rows to
                      use for establishing the width of the first column?

                      >Do you guys have an idea? What I want is that the second column always start
                      >at the same vertical position, so if you have another option, I'm glad to
                      >hear it!

                      The only guaranteed way I know of to do get close to you want, when you
                      don't know the width of the first column, is to use side floats. Anything
                      else in XSL-FO, lists, tables, etc., requires you to know in advance the
                      width of the first column.

                      Even then you aren't quite there, because when you have multiple rows, you
                      cannot vertically align the content in the float with the content in the body.

                      So, I think you can't have it both ways in XSL-FO. Either you specify the
                      widths, or you let the engine do it for you ... I don't think you can mix
                      the two for multiple rows for a table, having the second column of each row
                      start at the same point when the content of the first column is arbitrary
                      on every row.

                      Sorry I can't help.

                      --
                      Public courses: upcoming world tour of hands-on XSL training events
                      Each week: Monday-Wednesday: XSLT/XPath; Thursday-Friday: XSL-FO