Re: [XSL-FO] Why Formatting "Objects"?

  • John E. Simpson
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 6, 2001
      At 04:35 AM 02/06/2001 -0500, AndrewWatt2001@... wrote:
      >I apologise if the answer to that question is obvious to everybody but me,
      >but on several occasions I have wondered why Formatting "Objects" rather
      >than, for example, "Formatting Elements" or even "Formatting Nodes".
      >
      >And, for that matter, why "XSL-FO" why not just "XSL-F" a la XSLT?

      Well, I don't have any inside information, other than what I could get from
      having subscribed to XSL-List from early 1998 on. But the first WD
      (http://www.w3.org/TR/1998/WD-xsl-19980818) of what was then just one spec
      referred to them as flow (rather than formatting) objects, although the
      term formatting objects was also used in that draft. The term flow objects
      came straight out of DSSSL, on which the first WD was based. I do
      understand why "element" or "node" might have been used, but object isn't
      bad either -- objects have their own properties and behaviors, maybe that's
      what they were thinking of (rather than the "content" orientation of a word
      like "element").

      As for the abbreviation, I don't remember there being any real discussion
      about it. XSL-FO just "was" -- no one ever even floated XSL-F, I think.
      It's not really at odds with the abbreviation "XSLT," in the sense that
      both consist of the abbreviation for the root spec, followed by a
      reasonable abbreviation for the, uh, sub-spec. (OTOH, I have always been
      perplexed by the superfluous hyphen in "XSL-FO." Go figure. :)

      John E. Simpson | "Is it weird in here, or is it just
      http://www.flixml.org | me?" -- Steven Wright
      XML Q&A: www.xml.com |