leading to line-height calculation - my output doesn't match the specs

  • todoesdificil
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 3, 2002
      I am creating a document with XSL-FO that specifies leading with the
      font size. However, I am still unable to successfully calculate the
      correct line height based on leading specifications.

      For example, given a font size of 7pt and a leading of 8pt, I tried
      setting the line height to both 8pt and 114% (8/7 * 100), without the
      correct output. When I I read in the XSL-FO documentation about
      leading, half-leading, and line-height (http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-
      CSS2/visudet.html#line-height), and treated leading as the distance
      between lines as they suggested, the output didn't match either (too
      much space between lines).

      Does anyone have suggestions, formulas, etc. for determining line-
      height value in XSL-FO based on leading specifications?

      Thank you so much for your help.
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 3, 2002
        At 2002-06-03 20:16 +0000, todoesdificil wrote:
        >For example, given a font size of 7pt and a leading of 8pt, I tried
        >setting the line height to both 8pt and 114% (8/7 * 100), without the
        >correct output.

        When I use those parameters with Antenna House, I get acceptable results
        that one would expect for those values.

        >Does anyone have suggestions, formulas, etc. for determining line-
        >height value in XSL-FO based on leading specifications?

        An example is below ... setting the line-height= to a specific value will
        set the half-leading to half of the difference between the line height and
        the font size. The half-leading is distributed both above and below the
        line in order to accommodate adjacent lines with differing font sizes.

        I've attached an image of the results in Antenna House XSL Formatter.

        I hope this helps.

        ............... Ken

        <flow flow-name="frame-body">

        <block space-before="10pt" border="solid 1px" font-size="7pt">
        This is a 7pt block with the default leading that
        is implemented by the formatter.
        XXX XXX XXX XXX XXX XXX XXX XXX XXX XXX XXX XXX XXX XXX XXX XXX XXX XXX
        XXX XXX XXX XXX XXX XXX XXX XXX XXX XXX XXX XXX XXX XXX XXX XXX XXX XXX
        XXX XXX XXX XXX XXX XXX XXX XXX XXX XXX XXX XXX XXX XXX XXX XXX XXX XXX
        XXX XXX XXX XXX XXX XXX XXX XXX XXX XXX XXX XXX XXX XXX XXX XXX XXX XXX
        XXX XXX XXX XXX XXX XXX XXX XXX XXX XXX XXX XXX XXX XXX XXX XXX XXX XXX
        XXX XXX XXX XXX XXX XXX XXX XXX XXX XXX XXX XXX XXX XXX XXX XXX XXX XXX
        I've included a long sentence so as to get a lot of lines.</block>

        <block space-before="10pt" border="solid 1px" font-size="7pt"
        line-height="7pt">
        This is a 7pt block with a
        line height of 7pt.
        XXX XXX XXX XXX XXX XXX XXX XXX XXX XXX XXX XXX XXX XXX XXX XXX XXX XXX
        XXX XXX XXX XXX XXX XXX XXX XXX XXX XXX XXX XXX XXX XXX XXX XXX XXX XXX
        XXX XXX XXX XXX XXX XXX XXX XXX XXX XXX XXX XXX XXX XXX XXX XXX XXX XXX
        XXX XXX XXX XXX XXX XXX XXX XXX XXX XXX XXX XXX XXX XXX XXX XXX XXX XXX
        XXX XXX XXX XXX XXX XXX XXX XXX XXX XXX XXX XXX XXX XXX XXX XXX XXX XXX
        XXX XXX XXX XXX XXX XXX XXX XXX XXX XXX XXX XXX XXX XXX XXX XXX XXX XXX
        I've included a long sentence so as to get a lot of lines.</block>

        <block space-before="10pt" border="solid 1px" font-size="7pt"
        line-height="100%">
        This is a 7pt block with a
        line height of 100%.
        XXX XXX XXX XXX XXX XXX XXX XXX XXX XXX XXX XXX XXX XXX XXX XXX XXX XXX
        XXX XXX XXX XXX XXX XXX XXX XXX XXX XXX XXX XXX XXX XXX XXX XXX XXX XXX
        XXX XXX XXX XXX XXX XXX XXX XXX XXX XXX XXX XXX XXX XXX XXX XXX XXX XXX
        XXX XXX XXX XXX XXX XXX XXX XXX XXX XXX XXX XXX XXX XXX XXX XXX XXX XXX
        XXX XXX XXX XXX XXX XXX XXX XXX XXX XXX XXX XXX XXX XXX XXX XXX XXX XXX
        XXX XXX XXX XXX XXX XXX XXX XXX XXX XXX XXX XXX XXX XXX XXX XXX XXX XXX
        I've included a long sentence so as to get a lot of lines.</block>

        <block space-before="10pt" border="solid 1px" font-size="7pt"
        line-height="8pt">
        This is a 7pt block with a
        line height of 8pt.
        XXX XXX XXX XXX XXX XXX XXX XXX XXX XXX XXX XXX XXX XXX XXX XXX XXX XXX
        XXX XXX XXX XXX XXX XXX XXX XXX XXX XXX XXX XXX XXX XXX XXX XXX XXX XXX
        XXX XXX XXX XXX XXX XXX XXX XXX XXX XXX XXX XXX XXX XXX XXX XXX XXX XXX
        XXX XXX XXX XXX XXX XXX XXX XXX XXX XXX XXX XXX XXX XXX XXX XXX XXX XXX
        XXX XXX XXX XXX XXX XXX XXX XXX XXX XXX XXX XXX XXX XXX XXX XXX XXX XXX
        XXX XXX XXX XXX XXX XXX XXX XXX XXX XXX XXX XXX XXX XXX XXX XXX XXX XXX
        I've included a long sentence so as to get a lot of lines.</block>

        <block space-before="10pt" border="solid 1px" font-size="7pt"
        line-height="114%">
        This is a 7pt block with a
        line height of 114%.
        XXX XXX XXX XXX XXX XXX XXX XXX XXX XXX XXX XXX XXX XXX XXX XXX XXX XXX
        XXX XXX XXX XXX XXX XXX XXX XXX XXX XXX XXX XXX XXX XXX XXX XXX XXX XXX
        XXX XXX XXX XXX XXX XXX XXX XXX XXX XXX XXX XXX XXX XXX XXX XXX XXX XXX
        XXX XXX XXX XXX XXX XXX XXX XXX XXX XXX XXX XXX XXX XXX XXX XXX XXX XXX
        XXX XXX XXX XXX XXX XXX XXX XXX XXX XXX XXX XXX XXX XXX XXX XXX XXX XXX
        XXX XXX XXX XXX XXX XXX XXX XXX XXX XXX XXX XXX XXX XXX XXX XXX XXX XXX
        I've included a long sentence so as to get a lot of lines.</block>

        </flow>
      • Jennifer Berke
        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 3, 2002

          Thank you very much for your response.

          Here's an example of where this is not working for me - it's taken
          from a business card I'm building:

          FROM TOP OF DOCUMENT:
          <xsl:attribute-set name="normal3">
           <xsl:attribute name="font-family">Bentley SC</xsl:attribute>
           <xsl:attribute name="font-weight">normal</xsl:attribute>
           <xsl:attribute name="font-size">7pt</xsl:attribute>
           <xsl:attribute name="line-height">8pt</xsl:attribute>
           <xsl:attribute name="vertical-align">text-
          bottom</xsl:attribute>
           <xsl:attribute name="text-align">center</xsl:attribute>
           <xsl:attribute name="wrap-option">no-wrap</xsl:attribute>
          </xsl:attribute-set>

          FURTHER DOWN IN DOCUMENT....
          <fo:block-container position="absolute" top="45mm" left="5mm"
          bottom="55mm" right="90mm" padding="0mm" border-width="0mm" vertical-
          align="text-bottom">

          <!-- STILL NEED TO MAKE IT ALIGNED BOTTOM Address fields span entire
          row, need to wrap to more than one row, as data allows -->
                <fo:block xsl:use-attribute-sets="normal3">
           <xsl:value-of select="/variables/var
          [@name='CorporateName']" />
                </fo:block>
                <fo:block xsl:use-attribute-sets="normal3">
           <xsl:value-of select="/variables/var
          [@name='Address']" />,&#xa0;
           <xsl:value-of select="/variables/var
          [@name='Location']" />,&#xa0;
           <xsl:value-of select="/variables/var[@name='City']" />,&#xa0;
           <xsl:value-of select="/variables/var[@name='State']" />,&#xa0;
           <xsl:value-of select="/variables/var[@name='Zip']" />.
                </fo:block>
          </fo:block-container>

          I have attached a PDF of the resulting document - <apsBusCard.pdf>. I have also attached a PDF of the way the lines are supposed to appear (PDF created by Adobe InDesign) - <correctBusCard.PDF>. The lines in question or the last two lines of the documents.

          Thanks again for your time.

          jb

          --
          Upcoming: 3-days XSLT/XPath and/or 2-days XSL-FO:Sep 30-Oct 4,2002
          - : 3-days XML Information Modeling: Jul 31-Aug 2,2002

          ISBN 0-13-065196-6 Definitive XSLT and XPath
          ISBN 1-894049-07-1 Practical Formatting Using XSLFO
          XSL/XML/DSSSL/SGML/OmniMark services, books (electronic, printed),
          articles, training (instructor-live,Internet-live,web/CD,licensed)
          Next public training: 2002-06-04,07,10,11,13,14,07-31,
          - 08-05,26,27,09-30,10-03

          Do You Yahoo!?

        • todoesdificil
          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 3, 2002
            btw - I'm using FOP v 0.20.3. I forgot to mention this earlier.

            jb

            Message 5 of 5 , Jun 3, 2002
              At 2002-06-04 00:58 +0000, todoesdificil wrote:
              >btw - I'm using FOP v 0.20.3. I forgot to mention this earlier.

              Sorry, I'm not familiar with what is or is not supported in FOP.

              The example I gave using Antenna House illustrates that your use of the
              properties is probably sound. I'll let someone from the FOP team comment
              on the support of half-leading.

              Were you aware there is a FOP user list?

              mailto:fop-user-help@...

              I hope this helps.