How will XForms and XSL-FO work together? Will they all work with SVG?

  • AndrewWatt2001@aol.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 16, 2001
      As some recipients will know I am interested both in how SVG will work with
      XSL-FO and how SVG will work with XForms.

      What is causing me severe brain ache today is trying to get my mind round how
      XForms and XSL-FO might work together.

      Have any recipients of this email given any thought to that? Got any
      prototype working code?

      Perhaps I am suffering from incipient "Old Timer's Disease" ... :) ... but I
      am having trouble seeing how it will all work. And what it will DO or be used
      for. So if anyone is further on in that thinking I would appreciate insights
      which will lead me to the "Ah NOW I see" stage.

      I can see that, in principle, it is "just" a multi-namespace XML document.
      But feel there is potential there, in terms of usage, that I am not seeing
      yet. It feels as if something exciting is there but is just out of reach at
      the moment. I hope that makes some sense and doesn't sound like, totally,
      like the ramblings of a blithering idiot.

      Andrew Watt
    • AndrewWatt2001@aol.com

        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 16, 2001
          AndrewWatt2001@... writes:

          > I can see that, in principle, it is "just" a multi-namespace XML
          > document. But feel there is potential there, in terms of usage,
          > that I am not seeing yet. It feels as if something exciting is there
          > but is just out of reach at the moment. I hope that makes some sense
          > and doesn't sound like, totally, like the ramblings of a blithering
          > idiot.

          I'm reducing the reply to this to just one list because Orchard is
          still in its infancy, so I'd rather take it one piece at a time for
          development and then present, rather than theorize about future
          support :-).

          Orchard uses a very flexible, or "loose", data model that has
          excellent support for namespaced nodes and properties. One of the
          reasons was explicitly for the support of multi-namespace nodes of
          data.

          In that context, you should be able to intermix FO (or SVG) nodes with
          XForm nodes, as long as the semantics (probably from XForm) are clear.

          -- Ken