Re: [XSL-FO] Can fo:basic-link open new IE window from Adobe plugin?

  • Oleg Tkachenko
    Message 1 of 6 , May 14, 2002
      jmcquirt wrote:
      > I am trying to create a PDF document from a JSP page using Renderx
      > XEP. If I download the file and use Acrobat, it opens a new browser
      > window. When viewed in Internet Explorer's Adobe plugin, however, the
      > links always open in the same browser window. Is there a way to make
      > the link open a fresh window (like the target attribute in an HTML
      > anchor element)?

      It's probably <fo:basic-link show-destination="new"... supposed to do the trick.

      --
      Oleg Tkachenko
      Multiconn International, Israel
      Message 2 of 6 , May 14, 2002
        Hi,

        > When viewed in Internet Explorer's Adobe plugin, however, the
        > links always open in the same browser window. Is there a way to make
        > the link open a fresh window (like the target attribute in an HTML
        > anchor element)?

        This is a limitation of the PDF format, not of XEP. PDF specification
        does not provide any method to force a new browser window;
        we at RenderX cannot do much about it, sorry.

        Regards,
        Nikolai Grigoriev
        RenderX
      • Nikolai Grigoriev
        Message 3 of 6 , May 14, 2002
          Sebastian,

          > thats not actually true. a link can set NewWindow true
          > inside /A << ... >>

          I disagree. According to the spec [PDF 1.4 Reference, 8.5.3 "Action Types"],
          /NewWindow is a field specific to "remote go-to actions" and "launch actions".
          In XEP, HTML links are coded as "URI actions" that have no /NewWindow
          parameter. I don't believe the former two action types are suitable to represent
          a generic fo:basic-link: the first is applicable to PDF documents only, and the
          second requires a hardwired executable name.

          Regards,
          Nikolai
        • Sebastian Rahtz
          Message 4 of 6 , May 14, 2002
            On Tue, May 14, 2002 at 09:51:41PM +0400, Nikolai Grigoriev wrote:

            > This is a limitation of the PDF format, not of XEP. PDF specification
            > does not provide any method to force a new browser window;
            > we at RenderX cannot do much about it, sorry.

            thats not actually true. a link can set NewWindow true
            inside /A << ... >>
            --
            Sebastian Rahtz OUCS Information Manager
          • Sebastian Rahtz
            Message 5 of 6 , May 14, 2002
              On Tue, May 14, 2002 at 11:49:28PM +0400, Nikolai Grigoriev wrote:
              > > thats not actually true. a link can set NewWindow true
              > > inside /A << ... >>
              >
              > I disagree. According to the spec [PDF 1.4 Reference, 8.5.3 "Action Types"],
              > /NewWindow is a field specific to "remote go-to actions" and "launch actions".
              > In XEP, HTML links are coded as "URI actions" that have no /NewWindow
              > parameter. I don't believe the former two action types are suitable to represent
              > a generic fo:basic-link: the first is applicable to PDF documents only, and the
              > second requires a hardwired executable name.

              My apologies, you are right. I was getting confused with links
              which open a new PDF file.

              --
              Sebastian Rahtz OUCS Information Manager