Can fo:basic-link open new IE window from Adobe plugin?

  • jmcquirt
    Message 1 of 6 , May 13 11:35 AM
      I am trying to create a PDF document from a JSP page using Renderx
      XEP. If I download the file and use Acrobat, it opens a new browser
      window. When viewed in Internet Explorer's Adobe plugin, however, the
      links always open in the same browser window. Is there a way to make
      the link open a fresh window (like the target attribute in an HTML
      anchor element)?

      Also, XEP is richly featured but very slow. Are there faster
      renderers out there with comparable features.
    • Oleg Tkachenko
      Message 2 of 6 , May 14 3:39 AM
        jmcquirt wrote:
        > I am trying to create a PDF document from a JSP page using Renderx
        > XEP. If I download the file and use Acrobat, it opens a new browser
        > window. When viewed in Internet Explorer's Adobe plugin, however, the
        > links always open in the same browser window. Is there a way to make
        > the link open a fresh window (like the target attribute in an HTML
        > anchor element)?

        It's probably <fo:basic-link show-destination="new"... supposed to do the trick.

        --
        Oleg Tkachenko
        Multiconn International, Israel
        Message 3 of 6 , May 14 10:51 AM

          > When viewed in Internet Explorer's Adobe plugin, however, the
          > links always open in the same browser window. Is there a way to make
          > the link open a fresh window (like the target attribute in an HTML
          > anchor element)?

          This is a limitation of the PDF format, not of XEP. PDF specification
          does not provide any method to force a new browser window;
          we at RenderX cannot do much about it, sorry.

          Regards,
          Nikolai Grigoriev
          RenderX
        • Nikolai Grigoriev
          Message 4 of 6 , May 14 12:49 PM
            Sebastian,

            > thats not actually true. a link can set NewWindow true
            > inside /A << ... >>

            I disagree. According to the spec [PDF 1.4 Reference, 8.5.3 "Action Types"],
            /NewWindow is a field specific to "remote go-to actions" and "launch actions".
            In XEP, HTML links are coded as "URI actions" that have no /NewWindow
            parameter. I don't believe the former two action types are suitable to represent
            a generic fo:basic-link: the first is applicable to PDF documents only, and the
            second requires a hardwired executable name.

            Regards,
            Nikolai
          • Sebastian Rahtz
            Message 5 of 6 , May 14 1:28 PM
              On Tue, May 14, 2002 at 09:51:41PM +0400, Nikolai Grigoriev wrote:

              > This is a limitation of the PDF format, not of XEP. PDF specification
              > does not provide any method to force a new browser window;
              > we at RenderX cannot do much about it, sorry.

              thats not actually true. a link can set NewWindow true
              inside /A << ... >>
              --
              Sebastian Rahtz OUCS Information Manager
            • Sebastian Rahtz
              Message 6 of 6 , May 14 2:18 PM
                On Tue, May 14, 2002 at 11:49:28PM +0400, Nikolai Grigoriev wrote:
                > > thats not actually true. a link can set NewWindow true
                > > inside /A << ... >>
                >
                > I disagree. According to the spec [PDF 1.4 Reference, 8.5.3 "Action Types"],
                > /NewWindow is a field specific to "remote go-to actions" and "launch actions".
                > In XEP, HTML links are coded as "URI actions" that have no /NewWindow
                > parameter. I don't believe the former two action types are suitable to represent
                > a generic fo:basic-link: the first is applicable to PDF documents only, and the
                > second requires a hardwired executable name.

                My apologies, you are right. I was getting confused with links
                which open a new PDF file.

                --
                Sebastian Rahtz OUCS Information Manager