Re: [XSL-FO] books on fo

  • John E. Simpson
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 2, 2001
      At 02:36 PM 02/02/2001 +0000, Rabi Shanker wrote:
      > could anyone suggest some good books on fo.

      Well, my own "Just XSL" (half on XSLT, half on XSL-FO) unfortunately won't
      be out for a few months, otherwise I'd recommend it. :) In the meantime, I
      think I'd recommend Elliotte Rusty Harold's XML Bible, Chapter 15 of which
      is on XSL-FO. (There's an updated version of the chapter on his Cafe Con
      Leche Web site, at http://www.ibiblio.org/xml/books/bible/updates/15.html.)
      His and Scott Means's "XML in a Nutshell," from O'Reilly, has just recently
      been released, and its Chapter 13 is about XSL-FO. I haven't seen it yet
      but (considering the sources and the publisher) it's very likely to be
      excellent.

      There was also a recent two-part introductory tutorial series on XSL-FO on
      XML.com, starting at:
      http://www.xml.com/pub/a/2001/01/17/xsl-fo/index.html

      John E. Simpson | "Is it weird in here, or is it just
      http://www.flixml.org | me?" -- Steven Wright
      XML Q&A: www.xml.com |
    • Diahron Grismore
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 2, 2001
        For the time being I have only found decent XSL-FO information from the XML Bible, although there are certainly other books available. Harold is in the process of writing version 2 of the XML Bible and have posted a preview of Chapter 15 (XSL-FO) on the net. Download it and use it, it's very helpful and informative. Also, go to XML.com and check out J.David Eisenburg's article 'Using XSL Formatting Objects' it can be of big help also. The article is the first of 2 or more to come. Both of those articles should help you get going, along with the many problems and corrections that are being supplied via the net on XSL-FO. I understand that a lot of this is very criptic and tough to decipher in the beginning, but I've found that if you back up occassionally and then go back and review what is being said that you'll see the pattern and then it becomes a little clearer that mud. Good luck.

          could anyone suggest some good books on fo.
        thanx
        Rabi