books on fo

  • Rabi Shanker
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 2, 2001
      hi,
      could anyone suggest some good books on fo.
      thanx
      Rabi
    • John E. Simpson
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 2, 2001
        At 02:36 PM 02/02/2001 +0000, Rabi Shanker wrote:
        > could anyone suggest some good books on fo.

        Well, my own "Just XSL" (half on XSLT, half on XSL-FO) unfortunately won't
        be out for a few months, otherwise I'd recommend it. :) In the meantime, I
        think I'd recommend Elliotte Rusty Harold's XML Bible, Chapter 15 of which
        is on XSL-FO. (There's an updated version of the chapter on his Cafe Con
        Leche Web site, at http://www.ibiblio.org/xml/books/bible/updates/15.html.)
        His and Scott Means's "XML in a Nutshell," from O'Reilly, has just recently
        been released, and its Chapter 13 is about XSL-FO. I haven't seen it yet
        but (considering the sources and the publisher) it's very likely to be
        excellent.

        There was also a recent two-part introductory tutorial series on XSL-FO on
        XML.com, starting at:
        http://www.xml.com/pub/a/2001/01/17/xsl-fo/index.html

        John E. Simpson | "Is it weird in here, or is it just
        http://www.flixml.org | me?" -- Steven Wright
        XML Q&A: www.xml.com |
      • Diahron Grismore
        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 2, 2001
          For the time being I have only found decent XSL-FO information from the XML Bible, although there are certainly other books available. Harold is in the process of writing version 2 of the XML Bible and have posted a preview of Chapter 15 (XSL-FO) on the net. Download it and use it, it's very helpful and informative. Also, go to XML.com and check out J.David Eisenburg's article 'Using XSL Formatting Objects' it can be of big help also. The article is the first of 2 or more to come. Both of those articles should help you get going, along with the many problems and corrections that are being supplied via the net on XSL-FO. I understand that a lot of this is very criptic and tough to decipher in the beginning, but I've found that if you back up occassionally and then go back and review what is being said that you'll see the pattern and then it becomes a little clearer that mud. Good luck.