Confused about Page Sequencing

  • John Bourke
    Message 1 of 1 , May 1 4:21 AM
      I'm having a problem rendering a large file (500 plus pages) using FOP. Fop
      eventually causes my machine to run out of memory even though I'm allocating
      it 300mb.
      I think the problem is caused by me having a page sequence called detail
      page, into which my 500 pages worth of data is placed with a page break
      before each page full. BUT, this is all within the one page sequence which I
      think FOP is trying to render all at once.
      Ideally for each page full I would like to start a new page sequence and
      thus allow FOP only render one page at a time. Does this sound to anybody
      like the right way to go about this?

      My page sequence master is as follows:
      <fo:page-sequence-master master-name="reportDetails">
      <fo:repeatable-page-master-reference master-name="detailPage"/>
      </fo:page-sequence-master>

      I then start my page using:
      <fo:page-sequence master-reference="reportDetails" initial-page-number="2">

      Then when rendering FOP throws the following exception:
      ---------
      java.lang.NullPointerException
      at
      org.apache.fop.fo.pagination.PageSequence.getNextPageMaster(PageSequence.jav
      a:526)
      at org.apache.fop.fo.pagination.PageSequence.makePage(PageSequence.java:334)
      at org.apache.fop.fo.pagination.PageSequence.format(PageSequence.java:268)
      at org.apache.fop.apps.StreamRenderer.render(StreamRenderer.java:200)
      at org.apache.fop.fo.FOTreeBuilder.endElement(FOTreeBuilder.java:182)
      at org.apache.xerces.parsers.SAXParser.endElement(SAXParser.java:1403)
      at
      org.apache.xerces.validators.common.XMLValidator.callEndElement(XMLValidator
      .java:1550)
      at
      org.apache.xerces.framework.XMLDocumentScanner$ContentDispatcher.dispatch(XM
      LDocumentScanner.java:1204)
      at
      org.apache.xerces.framework.XMLDocumentScanner.parseSome(XMLDocumentScanner.
      java:381)
      at org.apache.xerces.framework.XMLParser.parse(XMLParser.java:1098)
      at org.apache.fop.apps.Driver.render(Driver.java:481)
      at org.apache.fop.apps.Driver.run(Driver.java:554)

      Apologies for the length of this message but can anybody advise me?

      Best Regards,

      John Bourke

      are addressed. Any unauthorised distribution or copying is strictly
      prohibited.

      Whilst Cedar Plc takes steps to prevent the transmission of
      viruses via e-mail, we can not guarantee that any email or
      attachment is free from computer viruses and you are strongly
      advised to undertake your own anti-virus precautions.

      Cedar Plc grants no warranties regarding performance,
      use or quality of any e-mail or attachment and undertakes no
      liability for loss or damage, howsoever caused.