RE: [XSL-FO] span multiple columns?

  • Pouliot, Brian R.
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 1, 2001
      It looks like "n-columns-spanned" is defining how many columns inherit the
      PROPERTIES of the fo:table-column element.

      I need an attribute in fo:table-cell to specify how many columns the cell
      takes up.

      Thanks,

      Brian

      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 1, 2001
        Right, but when you say 'how many columns the cell takes up', do you mean
        the area in the cell (i.e., block(s) or 'children'of the cell) -because
        then, I am under the impression that that doesn't span.
        I'm hoping someone else may answer here, too! In my particular experience,
        cell 'contents' don't span, and if I don't specify as many 'cells' as
        'columns' in a given row, I get an error.

        Is it possible for a table cell to span multiple columns?

        Thanks,

        Brian

      • Nikolai Grigoriev
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 1, 2001
          > It looks like "n-columns-spanned" is defining how many columns inherit the
          > PROPERTIES of the fo:table-column element.

          The property is spelled "number-columns-spanned".

          > Right, but when you say 'how many columns the cell takes up', do you mean
          > the area in the cell (i.e., block(s) or 'children'of the cell) -because
          > then, I am under the impression that that doesn't span.

          They should. I dare suggest you to look at
          http://www.renderx.com/testcases.html - there are some tests on tables
          functionality, including one specifically designed to test cells spanning
          multiple rows/columns (table_spans.fo).

          > I'm hoping someone else may answer here, too! In my particular experience,
          > cell 'contents' don't span, and if I don't specify as many 'cells' as
          > 'columns' in a given row, I get an error.

          Probably your FO formatter does not support this functionality. By the spec, the
          number of cells in a row need not be equal to the number of column specifiers
          (that may be absent at all).

          Regards,
          Nikolai
        • Pouliot, Brian R.
          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 2, 2001
            Thanks. I tried it.....FOP doesn't support it. You have to explicity set
            the column size.

            Oh well,

            Brian