span multiple columns?

  • Pouliot, Brian R.
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 1 8:47 AM
      Is it possible for a table cell to span multiple columns?

      Thanks,

      Brian
    • LEvensen@iKnowMed.com
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 1 9:16 AM
        the W3C XSL specification refers to cells spanning, to quote:

        For an fo:table-column the "n-columns-spanned" property specifies the number
        of columns spanned by table-cells that are to inherit their column
        characteristics from this fo:table-column formatting object.

        This says to me, characteristics of cells may span columns, but I don't know
        if the blocks or children of cells also span columns.

        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 1 9:53 AM
          It looks like "n-columns-spanned" is defining how many columns inherit the
          PROPERTIES of the fo:table-column element.

          I need an attribute in fo:table-cell to specify how many columns the cell
          takes up.

          Thanks,

          Brian

          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 1 10:33 AM
            Right, but when you say 'how many columns the cell takes up', do you mean
            the area in the cell (i.e., block(s) or 'children'of the cell) -because
            then, I am under the impression that that doesn't span.
            I'm hoping someone else may answer here, too! In my particular experience,
            cell 'contents' don't span, and if I don't specify as many 'cells' as
            'columns' in a given row, I get an error.

            Is it possible for a table cell to span multiple columns?

            Thanks,

            Brian

          • Nikolai Grigoriev
            Message 5 of 6 , Feb 1 2:26 PM
              > It looks like "n-columns-spanned" is defining how many columns inherit the
              > PROPERTIES of the fo:table-column element.

              The property is spelled "number-columns-spanned".

              > Right, but when you say 'how many columns the cell takes up', do you mean
              > the area in the cell (i.e., block(s) or 'children'of the cell) -because
              > then, I am under the impression that that doesn't span.

              They should. I dare suggest you to look at
              http://www.renderx.com/testcases.html - there are some tests on tables
              functionality, including one specifically designed to test cells spanning
              multiple rows/columns (table_spans.fo).

              > I'm hoping someone else may answer here, too! In my particular experience,
              > cell 'contents' don't span, and if I don't specify as many 'cells' as
              > 'columns' in a given row, I get an error.

              Probably your FO formatter does not support this functionality. By the spec, the
              number of cells in a row need not be equal to the number of column specifiers
              (that may be absent at all).

              Regards,
              Nikolai
            • Pouliot, Brian R.
              Message 6 of 6 , Feb 2 7:23 AM
                Thanks. I tried it.....FOP doesn't support it. You have to explicity set
                the column size.

                Oh well,

                Brian