FO books

  • evanlenz
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 8, 2002
      Are there any books available or in development that exclusively deal
      with formatting objects? I've browsed through "XSL Companion", "XSL
      Essentials", and "Professional XSL" and it appears that they each
      devote the majority of space to XSLT, leaving formatting objects to a
      later, shorter chapter. (Correct me if I'm wrong too!) I'm interested
      in a book that will delve deeply into formatting objects for people
      that already know XSLT. Ken Holman's electronic book looks like my
      best bet at this point, but I'm curious if there are others.

      Thanks,
      Evan
    • Max Dunn
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 8, 2002
        Dave Pawson put his FO book up online! See
        http://www.dpawson.co.uk/xsl/sect3/bk/index.html

        "Just XSL" has some nice coverage, more than a token chapter.

        I would hope that Ken Holman's FO book gets printed, I found his XSLT
        book just fantastic in printed form, though the examples of the
        electronic version were suspiciously missing...

        Max

        Are there any books available or in development that exclusively deal
        with formatting objects? I've browsed through "XSL Companion", "XSL
        Essentials", and "Professional XSL" and it appears that they each
        devote the majority of space to XSLT, leaving formatting objects to a
        later, shorter chapter. (Correct me if I'm wrong too!) I'm interested
        in a book that will delve deeply into formatting objects for people
        that already know XSLT. Ken Holman's electronic book looks like my
        best bet at this point, but I'm curious if there are others.

        Thanks,
        Evan

        Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
        http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
      • AndrewWatt2001@aol.com
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 9, 2002
          In a message dated 08/03/02 19:42:17 GMT Standard Time, evanlenz@... writes:

          Are there any books available or in development that exclusively deal
          with formatting objects? I've browsed through "XSL Companion", "XSL
          Essentials", and "Professional XSL" and it appears that they each
          devote the majority of space to XSLT, leaving formatting objects to a
          later, shorter chapter. (Correct me if I'm wrong too!) I'm interested
          in a book that will delve deeply into formatting objects for people
          that already know XSLT. Ken Holman's electronic book looks like my
          best bet at this point, but I'm curious if there are others.

          Evan,

          http://www.dpawson.co.uk/xsl/sect3/bk/index.html

          A few weeks ago there was on Amazon.co.uk (but not an Amazon.com) an XSL-FO book announced for publication by Sams. But it has since "been disappeared". My hazy recollection of the author's name was something (very approximately) like Frederick Neudemaier .... I am sure I will be embarassed by my imprecision when the book finally appears :) ... who, if I have the right book, is a guy who works with/for IBM.

          Apart from that as far as I am aware there are no conventional XSL-FO books announced yet by a conventional publisher. There was nothing just now on Amazon.com or Amazon.co.uk for either XSLFO or XSL-FO.

          Andrew Watt
          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 10, 2002
            At 2002-03-09 04:00 -0500, AndrewWatt2001@... wrote:
            >In a message dated 08/03/02 19:42:17 GMT Standard Time, evanlenz@...
            >writes:
            >>I'm interested
            >>in a book that will delve deeply into formatting objects for people
            >>that already know XSLT. Ken Holman's electronic book looks like my
            >>best bet at this point, but I'm curious if there are others.
            >Apart from that as far as I am aware there are no conventional XSL-FO
            >books announced yet by a conventional publisher.

            As with my XSLT/XPath book, I will be taking my XSLFO material through the
            "conventional" path only once I have incorporated as much real-world
            experience of my own and have compiled the feedback from my electronic book
            customers to ensure what I have chosen to focus on and organize meets the
            needs of users.

            I took two years (and nine editions) to hone the XSLT/XPath content before
            going to paper, but will probably not wait nearly that long for XSLFO
            because of the number of requests I am receiving. I have already
            specifically asked the publisher to wait for a while, though, to ensure I
            first have the evidence that what I have done is useful. So far, I am very
            pleased with the feedback, so I'll probably take the XSLFO manuscript to
            the publisher late summer (northern hemisphere).

            I've scheduled the next electronic edition of the XSLFO book for April 5 (I
            hope existing customers will get me their feedback soon ... hint,
            hint!). Customers of each of the electronic titles will continue to get
            access to all future editions of that title at no charge.

            We have learned that the electronic format is not for everyone, but this
            publishing model has worked well for us so far.

            --
            Upcoming: 3-days XSLT/XPath and/or 2-days XSLFO: June 17-21, 2002
            - : 3-days XML Information Modeling: July 31-August 2, 2002

            ISBN 0-13-065196-6 Definitive XSLT & XPath
            ISBN 1-894049-07-1 Practical Formatting Using XSLFO
            XSL/XML/DSSSL/SGML/OmniMark services, books(electronic, printed),
            articles, training(instructor-live,Internet-live,web/CD,licensed)
            Next public training: 2002-03-01,04,05,06,11,15,04-08,09,10,11,
            - 05-06,07,09,10,20,06-04,07,10,11,13,14,17,20,07-31