Re: [XSL-FO] Same footnote should appear just once below xsl-footnote-seperator

  • Wendell Piez
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 8, 2002
      Heinz,

      To help solve your problem there are one or two other things we need to
      know. How are you creating your FOs?

      If you're converting XML source using XSLT, your solution will be in your
      transform. That is, your problem is not with the FOs as such. As a
      transformation problem, its solution depends on how the footnote(s) and
      their references are marked up in your source.

      Licking a transformation problem like this is often easier when you mock up
      an example of the target you want, and then look at what you have to do to
      get that output from your transform. When using XSLT to create HTML from
      XML, we often recommend first creating an example of the HTML you want. In
      your case, it would be very worthwhile to create, by hand, an FO file that
      works the way you want it to, with the numbering, footnote placement and
      linking (if you have any) all coded up (you'll still have an FO:footnote,
      but there'll be only one, with multiple references). Then you can go back
      and determine how to specify a transformation from your source into that
      model using XSLT.

      So, I'd recommend trying that, and then coming back with examples of your
      source XML (how are the references encoded there) and the output you want
      (i.e. the XML expression of the FOs).

      I'd also recommend posting your question to the XSL-List at
      mulberrytech.com, since there is a very active community of XSLT users
      there who can help specifically with the transformation problem.

      Good luck,
      Wendell

      At 02:56 AM 3/6/2002, you wrote:
      >I have a text that contents the same footnote several times. Now the
      >footnote appears in the footer as many times as it occurs within the
      >page. How can I get the same footnote (same number) only one time in
      >the footer?
      >
      >Im am using now fo:footnote and fo:footnote-body.

      Wendell Piez mailto:wapiez@...
      Mulberry Technologies, Inc. http://www.mulberrytech.com
      17 West Jefferson Street Direct Phone: 301/315-9635
      Suite 207 Phone: 301/315-9631
      Rockville, MD 20850 Fax: 301/315-8285
    • heizg
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 11, 2002
        --- In XSL-FO@y..., Wendell Piez <wapiez@m...> wrote:

        Hi Wendell,

        > Heinz,
        >
        > How are you creating your FOs?

        I have XML files and apply XSLT stylesheets to convert it to XSL-FO.

        > In
        > your case, it would be very worthwhile to create, by hand, an FO
        file that
        > works the way you want it to, with the numbering, footnote
        placement and
        > linking (if you have any) all coded up (you'll still have an
        FO:footnote,
        > but there'll be only one, with multiple references).

        I think, if I could do it with FO, by hand, I could also do it with a
        XSLT stylesheet. I try do explain the problem a little bit better:

        Page 1 of 1
        This is a sample(1) page to show(2) what
        I get from fo:footnote(1). I would
        appreciate(2) any hints, how(1) to change
        this.
        --------
        (1) Footnote 1
        (1) Footnote 1
        (1) Footnote 1
        (2) Footnote 2
        (2) Footnote 2

        Page 1 of 1
        This is a sample(1) page to show(2) what
        I actually want to get with fo:footnote(1).
        I would appreciate(2) any hints, how(1) to achieve
        this.
        --------
        (1) Footnote 1
        (2) Footnote 2

        My XSL-FO for each footnote (special font properties... removed)
        looks like this:

        <fo:footnote>
        (1)
        <fo:footnote-body>