EPS graphics and FO processors

  • Nicholas Atkinson
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 6, 2002
      Hi.

      Is anyone aware of a FO renderer (to PDF) which supports print-quality graphics such as EPS?

      nik
    • Sebastian Rahtz
      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 6, 2002
        On Wed, Mar 06, 2002 at 10:48:17AM -0000, Nicholas Atkinson wrote:

        > Is anyone aware of a FO renderer (to PDF) which supports print-quality graphics such as EPS?

        yes, PassiveTeX groks whatever its underlying TeX (+driver) does.
        I normally use PDF inclusion myself, and use pdftex. Just
        as good as EPS
        --
        Sebastian Rahtz OUCS Information Manager
      • Bryan Rasmussen
        Message 3 of 8 , Mar 6, 2002

          Is anyone aware of a FO renderer (to PDF) which supports print-quality graphics such as EPS?
          Antenna House Formatter supports, if I remember correctly, several vector formats including eps and wmf, it is .com so you're limited to microsoft. FOP supports svg via batik, it's java, the svg output from illustrator 9 needs some preprocessing to work in FOP, I've found.

        • David Cramer
          Message 4 of 8 , Mar 6, 2002
            xep (www.renderx.com) with the ps backend generates a postscript file
            which can use eps images. eps isn't supported in pdfs generated directly
            from xep.

            David

            Is anyone aware of a FO renderer (to PDF) which supports print-quality
            graphics such as EPS?
          • Max Dunn
            Message 5 of 8 , Mar 6, 2002
              Message
              Have you gotten gradients to work with FOP/Batik?

              Max

              Message 6 of 8 , Mar 7, 2002
                Message

                Have you gotten gradients to work with FOP/Batik?
                actually I haven't tried gradients inside FOP yet, but I have seen examples of gradient use in batik that worked fine so it shouldn't be a problem . remember that if you use svg inside an fo for FOP  use fo:instream-foreign-object
              • Bryan Rasmussen
                Message 7 of 8 , Mar 7, 2002
                  Sebastian Rahtz wrote

                  >PassiveTeX groks whatever its underlying TeX (+driver) does.
                  >I normally use PDF inclusion myself, and use pdftex. Just
                  >as good as EPS

                  I've never used PassiveTex, do you mean that one can make the output include
                  a pdf file? I am on your site now looking around but hope you can clarify
                  the statement above for a PassiveTex, pdftex, tex newbie :)
                • Sebastian Rahtz
                  Message 8 of 8 , Mar 7, 2002
                    On Thu, Mar 07, 2002 at 09:59:47AM +0100, Bryan Rasmussen wrote:

                    > I've never used PassiveTex, do you mean that one can make the output include
                    > a pdf file? I am on your site now looking around but hope you can clarify
                    > the statement above for a PassiveTex, pdftex, tex newbie :)

                    yes, pdftex can include PDF files as graphics; ditto JPEG, TIFF and PNG.

                    most modern TeX's come with a utility called epstopdf which
                    makes a nice encapsulated PDF file from an EPS file.

                    --
                    Sebastian Rahtz OUCS Information Manager