RE: [XSL-FO] Re: FOP: how do I get my content to overflow onto a new page?

  • Pouliot, Brian R.
    Message 1 of 14 , Jan 31, 2001
      Here's the new code in my layout-master-set:

      <fo:simple-page-master master-name="simple"
      page-height="27.94cm"
      page-width="20.66cm"
      margin-top="1.27cm"
      margin-bottom="1.27cm"
      margin-left="1.27cm"
      margin-right="1.27cm">
      <fo:region-before extent="4.37cm"/>
      <fo:region-body margin-top="4.37cm"
      margin-bottom="1.40cm"></fo:region-body>
      <fo:region-after extent="1.40cm"/>
      </fo:simple-page-master>

      <fo:page-sequence-master master-name="PageLayout">
      <fo:repeatable-page-master-reference master-name="simple"/>
      </fo:page-sequence-master>

      Then this code runs:

      <fo:page-sequence master-name="PageLayout">

      <!--Load static content-->
      <xsl:variable name="stopcount"><xsl:value-of
      select="count(/REPORT/DEFAULTS/RESULTS/page/STOP)"/></xsl:variable>
      <xsl:call-template name="staticHeader"/>
      <xsl:call-template name="staticFooter">
      <xsl:with-param name="number_of_pages"
      select="count(/REPORT/DEFAULTS/RESULTS/page/STOP)"/>
      </xsl:call-template>

      <fo:flow flow-name="xsl-region-body">

      See anything wrong? The static header and footer are drawn
      correctly....that's been working all along. I just don't see why it won't
      start a new page when the content overflows.

      Thanks,

      Brian

      Message 2 of 14 , Jan 31, 2001
        I guess the template "staticHeader" creates the static header and
        "staticFooter" is meant to create the footer of the page; have you tried
        this taking out the header & footer, so that the page-sequence just has the
        flow, and then, presumably, </fo:page-sequence>
        What happens if you bypass that PageLayout designation, and just use
        page-sequence master-name="simple"?

        > All the documentation I've found says that all content in the
        fo:region-body
        > will overflow onto a new page if there is not room for it on the
        first one.

        Have you specified that the page onto which you're flowing blocks is
        repeatable? That usually looks something like:

        <!--
        Odd-numbered pages use master A4-Portrait-Page-Odd,
        even-numbered ones use master A4-Portrait-Page-Even.
        -->
        <fo:page-sequence-master master-name="A4-Portrait">
        <!--
        "Repeatable" means to reuse the page masters in the block.
        "Alternatives" means a decision is made on which master to use.
        -->
        <fo:conditional-page-master-reference
        master-name="A4-Portrait-Page-Odd" odd-or-even="odd"/>
        <fo:conditional-page-master-reference
        master-name="A4-Portrait-Page-Even" odd-or-even="even"/>
        </fo:page-sequence-master>

        If you only want to repeat a single master, instead of choosing which
        of several masters to use every time a block overflows the current
        page, you could replace the fo:repeatable-page-master-alternatives
        block with something like this:

        <fo:repeatable-page-master-reference
        master-name="A4-Portrait-Page-Odd"/>

        All this works in XEP. It should work in FOP, too, as it's a pretty
        basic part of the CR.

        > I also found several sites saying to set the "overflow" attribute of
        > fo:region-body to "paginate" or "visible". This didn't work either.
        >
        > I have a tabular report document that displays fo:block headers
        above
        > fo:table elements. The only way I know to position the block
        headers
        > correctly is to use absolute positioning. Does that mess up the
        formatting?
        > All I can think of is that my absolute positioning is not allowing
        the
        > page-master to start a new page.
        >
        > Anybody figured this out?
        >
        > Thanks,
        >
        > Brian

      • Pouliot, Brian R.
        Message 3 of 14 , Jan 31, 2001
          I took out the call to draw the static header/footer....didn't help. I also
          tried it with and without the PageLayout designation....no joy. Do you have
          a .xml and .xsl that causes the content to overflow correctly? I'd love to
          see it.

          Thanks,

          Brian

          > All the documentation I've found says that all content in the
          fo:region-body
          > will overflow onto a new page if there is not room for it on the
          first one.

          Have you specified that the page onto which you're flowing blocks is
          repeatable? That usually looks something like:

          <!--
          Odd-numbered pages use master A4-Portrait-Page-Odd,
          even-numbered ones use master A4-Portrait-Page-Even.
          -->
          <fo:page-sequence-master master-name="A4-Portrait">
          <!--
          "Repeatable" means to reuse the page masters in the block.
          "Alternatives" means a decision is made on which master to use.
          -->
          <fo:conditional-page-master-reference
          master-name="A4-Portrait-Page-Odd" odd-or-even="odd"/>
          <fo:conditional-page-master-reference
          master-name="A4-Portrait-Page-Even" odd-or-even="even"/>
          </fo:page-sequence-master>

          If you only want to repeat a single master, instead of choosing which
          of several masters to use every time a block overflows the current
          page, you could replace the fo:repeatable-page-master-alternatives
          block with something like this:

          <fo:repeatable-page-master-reference
          master-name="A4-Portrait-Page-Odd"/>

          All this works in XEP. It should work in FOP, too, as it's a pretty
          basic part of the CR.

          > I also found several sites saying to set the "overflow" attribute of
          > fo:region-body to "paginate" or "visible". This didn't work either.
          >
          > I have a tabular report document that displays fo:block headers
          above
          > fo:table elements. The only way I know to position the block
          headers
          > correctly is to use absolute positioning. Does that mess up the
          formatting?
          > All I can think of is that my absolute positioning is not allowing
          the
          > page-master to start a new page.
          >
          > Anybody figured this out?
          >
          > Thanks,
          >
          > Brian

        • Ed Nixon
          Message 4 of 14 , Jan 31, 2001
            I think it would be helpful to see code for the 'body' of the page. You
            mentioned earlier that the content was formatted into a table? If so, are
            there not some problems with tables in FOP? Are tables expected to flow
            over page breaks... in theory, i.e., according to the spec? in practice,
            i.e., according to the capabilities of the engine?

            ...edN

          • LEvensen@iKnowMed.com
            Message 5 of 14 , Jan 31, 2001
              I included the output .pdf as well...

              > All the documentation I've found says that all content in the
              fo:region-body
              > will overflow onto a new page if there is not room for it on the
              first one.

              Have you specified that the page onto which you're flowing blocks is
              repeatable? That usually looks something like:

              <!--
              Odd-numbered pages use master A4-Portrait-Page-Odd,
              even-numbered ones use master A4-Portrait-Page-Even.
              -->
              <fo:page-sequence-master master-name="A4-Portrait">
              <!--
              "Repeatable" means to reuse the page masters in the block.
              "Alternatives" means a decision is made on which master to use.
              -->
              <fo:conditional-page-master-reference
              master-name="A4-Portrait-Page-Odd" odd-or-even="odd"/>
              <fo:conditional-page-master-reference
              master-name="A4-Portrait-Page-Even" odd-or-even="even"/>
              </fo:page-sequence-master>

              If you only want to repeat a single master, instead of choosing which
              of several masters to use every time a block overflows the current
              page, you could replace the fo:repeatable-page-master-alternatives
              block with something like this:

              <fo:repeatable-page-master-reference
              master-name="A4-Portrait-Page-Odd"/>

              All this works in XEP. It should work in FOP, too, as it's a pretty
              basic part of the CR.

              > I also found several sites saying to set the "overflow" attribute of
              > fo:region-body to "paginate" or "visible". This didn't work either.
              >
              > I have a tabular report document that displays fo:block headers
              above
              > fo:table elements. The only way I know to position the block
              headers
              > correctly is to use absolute positioning. Does that mess up the
              formatting?
              > All I can think of is that my absolute positioning is not allowing
              the
              > page-master to start a new page.
              >
              > Anybody figured this out?
              >
              > Thanks,
              >
              > Brian

            • Pouliot, Brian R.
              Message 6 of 14 , Jan 31, 2001
                Ok. Thanks for trying to help me with this.....it's driving me crazy :)

                Here's the full XSL stylesheet:

                ==
                <?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
                <xsl:stylesheet version="1.0"
                xmlns:fo="http://www.w3.org/1999/XSL/Format">

                <xsl:import href="STATIC_PDF_PORTRAIT.xsl"/>
                <xsl:import href="DD_STATIC_PDF.xsl"/>
                <xsl:import href="ROUTE_STATIC_PDF.xsl"/>
                <xsl:import href="STATIC_PDF.xsl"/>

                <xsl:variable name="numpages"
                select="count(/REPORT/DEFAULTS/RESULTS/page/DEPOT/STOP[position()='1'])"/>
                <xsl:variable name="cell-width"><xsl:value-of select="$body-width div
                10"/></xsl:variable>
                <xsl:variable name="match_string" select="STOP"/>

                <xsl:template name="draw-stop-data">
                <xsl:param name="top"/>
                <fo:block-container height="5.0000cm" width="{$body-width}cm"
                top="{$top}cm" left="0cm" position="absolute">

                <!-- Item description and units -->
                <fo:block-container height="0.5000cm" background-color="#C0C0C0"
                width="{$body-width}cm" top="0cm" left="0cm" position="absolute">
                <fo:block-container height="0.30cm" width="27.49cm" top="0.200cm"
                left="0.25cm" position="absolute">
                <fo:block text-align="start" top="0cm" line-height="10pt"
                font-family="Helvetica" font-weight="bold" font-size="9pt">
                <fo:block><xsl:value-of select="STOP_DESCRIPTION"/></fo:block>
                </fo:block>
                </fo:block-container>
                </fo:block-container>

                <!-- Door headers -->
                <fo:block-container font-family="Helvetica" font-weight="normal"
                font-size="8pt" height="0.5000cm" width="{$body-width}cm" top="0.5000cm"
                left="0cm" position="absolute">
                <fo:block-container height="0.5000cm" width="{$cell-width}cm"
                top="0cm" left="0cm" position="absolute" border-style="solid"
                border-width="1pt" border-color="#AAA">
                <fo:block text-align="center">Bus ID</fo:block>
                </fo:block-container>
                <fo:block-container height="0.5000cm" width="{$cell-width}cm"
                top="0cm" left="{$cell-width}cm" position="absolute" border-style="solid"
                border-width="1pt" border-color="#AAA">
                <fo:block text-align="center">Arrive Stop</fo:block>
                </fo:block-container>
                <fo:block-container height="0.5000cm" width="{$cell-width}cm"
                top="0cm" left="{$cell-width * 2}cm" position="absolute"
                border-style="solid" border-width="1pt" border-color="#AAA">
                <fo:block text-align="center">Arrive Load</fo:block>
                </fo:block-container>
                <fo:block-container height="0.5000cm" width="{$cell-width}cm"
                top="0cm" left="{$cell-width * 3}cm" position="absolute"
                border-style="solid" border-width="1pt" border-color="#AAA">
                <fo:block text-align="center">Depart Stop</fo:block>
                </fo:block-container>
                <fo:block-container height="0.5000cm" width="{$cell-width}cm"
                top="0cm" left="{$cell-width * 4}cm" position="absolute"
                border-style="solid" border-width="1pt" border-color="#AAA">
                <fo:block text-align="center">Depart Load</fo:block>
                </fo:block-container>
                <fo:block-container height="0.5000cm" width="{$cell-width}cm"
                top="0cm" left="{$cell-width * 5}cm" position="absolute"
                border-style="solid" border-width="1pt" border-color="#AAA">
                <fo:block text-align="center">Run Time</fo:block>
                </fo:block-container>
                <fo:block-container height="0.5000cm" width="{$cell-width}cm"
                top="0cm" left="{$cell-width * 6}cm" position="absolute"
                border-style="solid" border-width="1pt" border-color="#AAA">
                <fo:block text-align="center">Dwell Time</fo:block>
                </fo:block-container>
                <fo:block-container height="0.5000cm" width="{$cell-width}cm"
                top="0cm" left="{$cell-width * 7}cm" position="absolute"
                border-style="solid" border-width="1pt" border-color="#AAA">
                <fo:block text-align="center">Wheel Chair</fo:block>
                </fo:block-container>
                <fo:block-container height="0.5000cm" width="{$cell-width}cm"
                top="0cm" left="{$cell-width * 8}cm" position="absolute"
                border-style="solid" border-width="1pt" border-color="#AAA">
                <fo:block text-align="center">Kneel</fo:block>
                </fo:block-container>
                <fo:block-container height="0.5000cm" width="{$cell-width}cm"
                top="0cm" left="{$cell-width * 9}cm" position="absolute"
                border-style="solid" border-width="1pt" border-color="#AAA">
                <fo:block text-align="center">Mileage</fo:block>
                </fo:block-container>
                </fo:block-container>

                <!-- Counts -->
                <fo:block-container height="4.1000cm" width="{$body-width}cm"
                top="1.0000cm" left="0cm" position="absolute">
                <fo:table border-style="none" border-color="#AAA"
                border-width="0pt" height="4.0125cm">
                <fo:table-column column-width="{$cell-width}cm"
[...]

                <fo:table-body font-family="Helvetica" font-weight="normal"
                font-size="8pt">

                <xsl:for-each select="BUS/BUS_ROW">
                <!-- Count values -->
                <fo:table-row line-height="12pt">
                <fo:table-cell border-width="1pt" border-color="#AAA"
                background-color="#ffffff" border-style="solid" padding="0pt">
                <fo:block text-align="end" font-family="Helvetica"
                font-weight="bold" font-size="9pt"><xsl:value-of
                select="BUS_ID"/></fo:block>
                </fo:table-cell>
                <fo:table-cell border-width="1pt" border-color="#AAA"
                background-color="#ffffff" border-style="solid" padding="0pt">
                <fo:block text-align="end" font-family="Helvetica"
                font-weight="bold" font-size="9pt"><xsl:value-of
                select="ARRIVE_STOP"/></fo:block>
                </fo:table-cell>
                <fo:table-cell border-width="1pt" border-color="#AAA"
                background-color="#ffffff" border-style="solid" padding="0pt">
                <fo:block text-align="end" font-family="Helvetica"
                font-weight="bold" font-size="9pt"><xsl:value-of
                select="ARRIVE_LOAD_PASS_CT"/></fo:block>
                </fo:table-cell>
                <fo:table-cell border-width="1pt" border-color="#AAA"
                background-color="#ffffff" border-style="solid" padding="0pt">
                <fo:block text-align="end" font-family="Helvetica"
                font-weight="bold" font-size="9pt"><xsl:value-of
                select="DEPART_STOP_TIME"/></fo:block>
                </fo:table-cell>
                <fo:table-cell border-width="1pt" border-color="#AAA"
                background-color="#ffffff" border-style="solid" padding="0pt">
                <fo:block text-align="end" font-family="Helvetica"
                font-weight="bold" font-size="9pt"><xsl:value-of
                select="DEPART_LOAD_PASS_CT"/></fo:block>
                </fo:table-cell>
                <fo:table-cell border-width="1pt" border-color="#AAA"
                background-color="#ffffff" border-style="solid" padding="0pt">
                <fo:block text-align="end" font-family="Helvetica"
                font-weight="bold" font-size="9pt"><xsl:value-of
                select="RUN_TIME"/></fo:block>
                </fo:table-cell>
                <fo:table-cell border-width="1pt" border-color="#AAA"
                background-color="#ffffff" border-style="solid" padding="0pt">
                <fo:block text-align="end" font-family="Helvetica"
                font-weight="bold" font-size="9pt"><xsl:value-of
                select="DWELL_TIME"/></fo:block>
                </fo:table-cell>
                <fo:table-cell border-width="1pt" border-color="#AAA"
                background-color="#ffffff" border-style="solid" padding="0pt">
                <fo:block text-align="end" font-family="Helvetica"
                font-weight="bold" font-size="9pt"><xsl:value-of
                select="WHEEL_CHAIR"/></fo:block>
                </fo:table-cell>
                <fo:table-cell border-width="1pt" border-color="#AAA"
                background-color="#ffffff" border-style="solid" padding="0pt">
                <fo:block text-align="end" font-family="Helvetica"
                font-weight="bold" font-size="9pt"><xsl:value-of select="KNEEL"/></fo:block>
                </fo:table-cell>
                <fo:table-cell border-width="1pt" border-color="#AAA"
                background-color="#ffffff" border-style="solid" padding="0pt">
                <fo:block text-align="end" font-family="Helvetica"
                font-weight="bold" font-size="9pt"><xsl:value-of
                select="MILEAGE"/></fo:block>
                </fo:table-cell>
                </fo:table-row>
                </xsl:for-each>
                </fo:table-body>
                </fo:table>
                </fo:block-container>

                </fo:block-container>
                </xsl:template>

                <xsl:template match="/">

                <!-- defines the layout master -->
                <xsl:call-template name="pageMaster"/>

                <xsl:apply-templates select="/REPORT/DEFAULTS/RESULTS/page"/>

                </fo:root>
                </xsl:template>

                <!-- Each page starts a new flow -->
                <xsl:template match="page">
                <!-- starts actual layout -->
                <fo:page-sequence master-name="PageLayout">

                <!--Load static content-->
                <xsl:variable name="stopcount"><xsl:value-of
                select="count(/REPORT/DEFAULTS/RESULTS/page/STOP)"/></xsl:variable>
                <xsl:call-template name="staticHeader"/>
                <xsl:call-template name="staticFooter">
                <xsl:with-param name="number_of_pages" select="$stopcount"/>
                </xsl:call-template>

                <fo:flow flow-name="xsl-region-body">

                <!-- starts actual layout -->

                <!-- Each STOP -->
                <xsl:for-each select="STOP">
                <xsl:variable name="top_pos" select="(position() - 1) + (.5 *
                count (preceding::BUS_ROW) + 1)"/>
                <xsl:call-template name="draw-stop-data">
                <xsl:with-param name="top" select="($top_pos)"/>
                </xsl:call-template>
                </xsl:for-each>
                <!-- end of for-each STOP -->

                </fo:flow>
                </fo:page-sequence>

                </xsl:template>

                </xsl:stylesheet>

                ==

                Thanks,

                Brian

                Message 7 of 14 , Jan 31, 2001
                  I thought I'd see something like:
                  in here, and an end-tag for fo:root somewhere...I don't know that that's
                  optional, my experience with this is not great

                  Message 8 of 14 , Jan 31, 2001
                    If I get rid of my fo:block-container elements, it overflows nicely. Now, I
                    just need to see if I can format it correctly without them....it's all
                    messed up :)

                    Thanks for the help. If anybody knows exactly what the problem is, please
                    let me know.

                    Thanks,

                    Brian

                      Message 10 of 14 , Jan 31, 2001
                        yes, I see it now-

                        Message 11 of 14 , Jan 31, 2001
                          Don't know offhand but the FOP examples includes border.fo that uses
                          block-container with absolute position; however, I think this example only
                          produces 1 page; could do some cut&paste, make it longer and see what
                          happens, but not right now

                          Message 12 of 14 , Feb 1, 2001
                            I'm now getting the content to overflow. However, it is drawing over the
                            xsl-region-after area. My xsl-region-body has a top border equal to the
                            extent of xsl-region-before and has a bottom border equal to the extent of
                            xsl-region-after.

                            Any ideas?

                            Thanks,

                            Brian
                          • LEvensen@iKnowMed.com
                            Message 13 of 14 , Feb 1, 2001
                              There's a nice picture on this page:
                              http://www.ibiblio.org/xml/books/bible/updates/15.html#Page

                              that may help illuminate your problem, as well as this note:

                              One thing that may not be obvious from this picture is that the body region
                              overlaps the other four regions (though not the page margins

                              Message 14 of 14 , Feb 1, 2001
                                Right. According to that picture, setting the margin-bottom of the
                                region-body equal to the extent of the region-after should do the trick.

                                I was able to get it working by increasing the margin-bottom of the
                                region-body.....apparently, it's not a perfect science yet :)

                                Now my big problem is making sure that each table doesn't wrap onto the next
                                page. I can't figure out how to use keep-together, keep-with-next,
                                keep-with-previous, etc....

                                Thanks,

                                Brian