Re: New to XSL-FO

  • m_g_0_1
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 13, 2002
      Did you get any help yet?
      I'm sorry if this is insulting...
      I can't tell from your posting what you are expecting to get as the
      output of your XSLT. XSLFO is just another XML vocabulary. MSXML 3.0
      (like all other XSLT processors) does not understand XSLFO. This
      does not mean you cannot produce XSLFO with them. You CAN and
      SHOULD, but they don't *understand* what you are outputting. If you
      want viewable/printable output from your XSLFO you need to use an
      XSLFO processor to turn the XSLFO into a real output like PDF.
      The flow goes like this:
      XML Data -> XSLT (MSXML Transform) -> XSLFO -> (FO Processor) ->
      Viewable/Printable output.
      There are very few XSLFO processors right now. RenderX and FOP both
      produce PDF output.

      Again, I'm sorry if I misunderstood. If you are having trouble with
      namespaces and that sort of thing - having trouble getting the XSLT
      documents to load and run, please try restating the question.

      -Michael

      --- In XSL-FO@y..., "unc93_2000" <unc93_2000@y...> wrote:
      > HELP!
      >
      > We are currenlty trying to implement XSL-FO in our XSL documents.
      > Unfortunately it seems none of the formatting is working. We get
      > data just now formatting. We are using ASP to put the XSL and XML
      > together, using MSXML parser 3.0. Unfortunately nothing seems to
      > work. I have been searching the Internet for the last couple of
      days
      > trying to figure out if this is an issue with our XSL formatting
      or
      > if the parser just does not support the new formatting objects.
      If
      > anyone out there has an example of an XSL file that is using XSL-
      FO
      > and an XML file that we could put on our system to see if it
      works,
      > it would be greatly appreciated.
      >
      > Thanks.
    • Steve Culshaw
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 10, 2003
        Sorry if this a FAQ, but can anyone point me at methods to convert
        RTF to PDF, via of course XSL-FO ?

        Cheers,
        Steve C.
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 10, 2003
          At 2003-08-10 21:49 +0000, Steve Culshaw wrote:
          >Sorry if this a FAQ, but can anyone point me at methods to convert
          >RTF to PDF, via of course XSL-FO ?

          A Google search of "convert rtf to xml" reveals:

          http://www.rtf2fo.com/help.html

          ... but I know nothing of it, myself.

          Though you being new to XSL-FO I wonder if perhaps you haven't considered
          going from RTF to an XML vocabulary of your own derivation (divination?)
          that makes sense to the business reason you are capturing information ...
          and *then* going to XSL-FO as well as a myriad of other target
          opportunities for your information.

          I worry hearing of new users locking themselves into a restrictive path of
          using XML that doesn't give them nearly the benefits of XML that they might
          have read about or heard about from others.

          Think about the RTF information you are transforming that you haven't
          described here ... if you are in control of the creation of that
          information, what alternatives might you have to get to an XML vocabulary
          that expresses concepts and constructs that are meaningful to you?

          Just copying the RTF concepts and constructs into XML gives you no better
          benefit than having RTF ... surely not enough of a reason to go through the
          effort of establishing an XML route.

          I hope this helps.

          .................... Ken

          --
          Upcoming hands-on courses: in-house corporate training available;
          North America public: XSLT/XPath Aug 12, 2003

          ISBN 0-13-065196-6 Definitive XSLT and XPath
          ISBN 0-13-140374-5 Definitive XSL-FO
          ISBN 1-894049-11-X Practical Formatting Using XSL-FO
          Member of the XML Guild of Practitioners: http://XMLGuild.info
        • Steve Culshaw
          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 11, 2003
            Thanks for the response Ken
            - good point on the consider before just moving the RTF to XML, but
            we constrained by the requirement that users are able to generate
            the RTF for their own document requirements

            Looked at the RTFtoFO, but it's Java
            - I'm really looking for a .NET implementation
            (not trying to start a Java versus .NET flame war here, just our
            customers are Windows + .NET, and I don't want to add to the
            installation requirements)

            I found a few other places that do XSL-FO related components,
            e.g.
            http://www.dig-dreams.de/fo/about.htm jFO,
            another Java RTF to FO converter
            and
            http://www.tridec.com/PDF.NET/Default.aspx
            PDF.NET, a .NET XML to XSL-FO to PDF

            but nothing on the RTF to XML in .NET front

            Cheers,
            Steve C.