table borders

  • m_g_0_1
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 11, 2002
      Sorry if this has been beaten to death; I searched and didn't see it.

      If one wants a table that looks like a grid (borders all the way
      around and borders dividing all cells, how does one specify the
      borders? Does border-* on the <fo:table> only affect the borders
      around the table? Do you need to specify individual cell borders?

      The 2 situations I'd like to know how to express are:
      1) a grid-like table;
      2) a table with borders around, but none inside (a box).

      Tanx
    • Eric Smith
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 12, 2002
        According to m_g_0_1 on Tue, Feb 12, 2002 at 04:47:12AM -0000:
        > Sorry if this has been beaten to death; I searched and didn't see it.
        >
        > If one wants a table that looks like a grid (borders all the way
        > around and borders dividing all cells, how does one specify the
        > borders? Does border-* on the <fo:table> only affect the borders
        > around the table? Do you need to specify individual cell borders?
        >
        > The 2 situations I'd like to know how to express are:
        > 1) a grid-like table;
        > 2) a table with borders around, but none inside (a box).

        1)
        <xsl:for-each select="cell">
        <!-- border-top-color="red" border-top-width="0.5pt"
        border-top-style="solid"-->
        <fo:table-cell padding="2pt"
        border-bottom-color="olive" border-bottom-width="0.5pt"
        border-bottom-style="solid"
        border-left-color="olive" border-left-width="0.5pt"
        border-left-style="solid"
        border-right-color="olive" border-right-width="0.5pt"
        border-right-style="solid"

        <!-- colors: aqua, black, blue, fuchsia, gray, green, olive, maroon,
        navy, olive, purple, red, silver, teal, white, and yellow -->

        2)
        <fo:table break-before="page" border-color="blue"
        border-width="5pt" border-style="solid">

        HTH
        --
        Eric Smith - currently using xalan and xsltproc - what a difference speed makes - and fop on linux
      • Jeffrey A. Stewart
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 12, 2002

          If you want to apply that same border to all side of a cell(s), you can specify all of the styles in a single attribute:

          <fo:table-cell border="solid black 1px">

          Jeff Stewart

          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 13, 2002
            Well, that's what I thought I was getting from reading... .

            border-* on <table> implies nothing about the internal borders (the
            ones around the cells).

            This is definately the most flexible approach, but it also requires
            the most FO to describe. In cases where you want a grid-type table,
            many border-* attributes are required on many <table-cell>s to
            accomplish it.

            Seems a shame there isn't a more concise way to express a grid-like
            table.

            -Michael