Books on XSL-FO

  • Kynn Bartlett
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 4, 2002
      There are a lot of books on XSLT -- well, "a lot" being "at least
      six" -- and most of them have a chapter or so on XSL-FO. Are there
      any books which cover formatting objects in detail?

      If not, what sort of things do you think should be in such a book?

      --Kynn

      --
      Kynn Bartlett <kynn@...> http://kynn.com
      Chief Technologist, Idyll Mountain http://idyllmtn.com
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 4, 2002
        There are at least two books dedicated to XSLFO:

        - Practical Formatting Using XSLFO by G. Ken Holman, available from
        http://www.cranesoftwrights.com/training/index.htm

        - An introduction to XSL Formatting Objects by Dave Pawson, available
        online at http://www.dpawson.co.uk/xsl/sect3/bk/index.html

        Those are both only available electronically at this point, but I
        believe both will inevitably be printed. Both look great to me, I think
        any more FO books should complement these.

        Also, John Simpson's "Just XSL" has three chapters on XSLFO.

        The problem with FO is the availability of tools - RenderX and Antenna
        House are expensive, while FOP is perpetually alpha. It would be nice
        if some major software companies supported FO.

        Max