New to XSL-FO

  • unc93_2000
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 1, 2002
      HELP!

      We are currenlty trying to implement XSL-FO in our XSL documents.
      Unfortunately it seems none of the formatting is working. We get
      data just now formatting. We are using ASP to put the XSL and XML
      together, using MSXML parser 3.0. Unfortunately nothing seems to
      work. I have been searching the Internet for the last couple of days
      trying to figure out if this is an issue with our XSL formatting or
      if the parser just does not support the new formatting objects. If
      anyone out there has an example of an XSL file that is using XSL-FO
      and an XML file that we could put on our system to see if it works,
      it would be greatly appreciated.

      Thanks.
    • m_g_0_1
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 13, 2002
        Did you get any help yet?
        I'm sorry if this is insulting...
        I can't tell from your posting what you are expecting to get as the
        output of your XSLT. XSLFO is just another XML vocabulary. MSXML 3.0
        (like all other XSLT processors) does not understand XSLFO. This
        does not mean you cannot produce XSLFO with them. You CAN and
        SHOULD, but they don't *understand* what you are outputting. If you
        want viewable/printable output from your XSLFO you need to use an
        XSLFO processor to turn the XSLFO into a real output like PDF.
        The flow goes like this:
        XML Data -> XSLT (MSXML Transform) -> XSLFO -> (FO Processor) ->
        Viewable/Printable output.
        There are very few XSLFO processors right now. RenderX and FOP both
        produce PDF output.

        Again, I'm sorry if I misunderstood. If you are having trouble with
        namespaces and that sort of thing - having trouble getting the XSLT
        documents to load and run, please try restating the question.

        -Michael

        --- In XSL-FO@y..., "unc93_2000" <unc93_2000@y...> wrote:
        > HELP!
        >
        > We are currenlty trying to implement XSL-FO in our XSL documents.
        > Unfortunately it seems none of the formatting is working. We get
        > data just now formatting. We are using ASP to put the XSL and XML
        > together, using MSXML parser 3.0. Unfortunately nothing seems to
        > work. I have been searching the Internet for the last couple of
        days
        > trying to figure out if this is an issue with our XSL formatting
        or
        > if the parser just does not support the new formatting objects.
        If
        > anyone out there has an example of an XSL file that is using XSL-
        FO
        > and an XML file that we could put on our system to see if it
        works,
        > it would be greatly appreciated.
        >
        > Thanks.
      • Steve Culshaw
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 10, 2003
          Sorry if this a FAQ, but can anyone point me at methods to convert
          RTF to PDF, via of course XSL-FO ?

          Cheers,
          Steve C.
          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 10, 2003
            At 2003-08-10 21:49 +0000, Steve Culshaw wrote:
            >Sorry if this a FAQ, but can anyone point me at methods to convert
            >RTF to PDF, via of course XSL-FO ?

            A Google search of "convert rtf to xml" reveals:

            http://www.rtf2fo.com/help.html

            ... but I know nothing of it, myself.

            Though you being new to XSL-FO I wonder if perhaps you haven't considered
            going from RTF to an XML vocabulary of your own derivation (divination?)
            that makes sense to the business reason you are capturing information ...
            and *then* going to XSL-FO as well as a myriad of other target
            opportunities for your information.

            I worry hearing of new users locking themselves into a restrictive path of
            using XML that doesn't give them nearly the benefits of XML that they might
            have read about or heard about from others.

            Think about the RTF information you are transforming that you haven't
            described here ... if you are in control of the creation of that
            information, what alternatives might you have to get to an XML vocabulary
            that expresses concepts and constructs that are meaningful to you?

            Just copying the RTF concepts and constructs into XML gives you no better
            benefit than having RTF ... surely not enough of a reason to go through the
            effort of establishing an XML route.

            I hope this helps.

            .................... Ken

            --
            Upcoming hands-on courses: in-house corporate training available;
            North America public: XSLT/XPath Aug 12, 2003

            ISBN 0-13-065196-6 Definitive XSLT and XPath
            ISBN 0-13-140374-5 Definitive XSL-FO
            ISBN 1-894049-11-X Practical Formatting Using XSL-FO
            Member of the XML Guild of Practitioners: http://XMLGuild.info
          • Steve Culshaw
            Message 5 of 5 , Aug 11, 2003
              Thanks for the response Ken
              - good point on the consider before just moving the RTF to XML, but
              we constrained by the requirement that users are able to generate
              the RTF for their own document requirements

              Looked at the RTFtoFO, but it's Java
              - I'm really looking for a .NET implementation
              (not trying to start a Java versus .NET flame war here, just our
              customers are Windows + .NET, and I don't want to add to the
              installation requirements)

              I found a few other places that do XSL-FO related components,
              e.g.
              http://www.dig-dreams.de/fo/about.htm jFO,
              another Java RTF to FO converter
              and
              http://www.tridec.com/PDF.NET/Default.aspx
              PDF.NET, a .NET XML to XSL-FO to PDF

              but nothing on the RTF to XML in .NET front

              Cheers,
              Steve C.