1.1.2 Formatting ...please help

  • r_diblasi@hotmail.com
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 15, 2001
      Hello,

      What the hell.........I have been reading this sentence over and
      over
      and I understand each part but I do not understand the whole.....

      Formatting 1.1.2
      "Formatting interprets the result tree in its formatting object
      tree form to produce the presentation intended by the designer of the
      stylesheet from which the XML element and attribute tree in the "fo"
      namespace was constructed."

      I think the last part is driving me crazy.....

      "the stylesheet from which the XML element and attribute tree in
      the "fo" namespace was constructed."

      Someone with a good heart help me.....

      I believe it to mean
      Formatting interprets the result tree in its formatting object
      form......(with Formating objects in the the result tree) .....
      to product the presentation intended by the designer of the
      spreedsheet.......it all goes to hell after this point :-)....

      Help....
      Robert A. DiBlasi
    • AndrewWatt2001@aol.com
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 16, 2001
        In a message dated 16/01/01 03:01:30 GMT Standard Time, r_diblasi@...
        writes:

        Hi Robert,

        My $0.02 follows below.

        > Hello,
        >
        > What the hell.........I have been reading this sentence over and
        > over
        > and I understand each part but I do not understand the whole.....
        >
        > Formatting 1.1.2
        > "Formatting interprets the result tree in its formatting object
        > tree form to produce the presentation intended by the designer of the
        > stylesheet from which the XML element and attribute tree in the "fo"
        > namespace was constructed."

        I think the short answer is that it is a badly drafted sentence. There are,
        IMHO, more than a few them in the current XSL-FO CR. If you examine the
        XSL-FO CR you will see that there is no identified "editor", unlike the
        position with a typical W3C spec in development. The absence of mention of an
        identified editor seems to be reflected in the absence, at this stage, of
        consistently tight editing of the text.

        > I think the last part is driving me crazy.....
        >
        > "the stylesheet from which the XML element and attribute tree in
        > the "fo" namespace was constructed."

        I think you have probably broken the sentence at the wrong place. Having said
        that try reading the whole sentence replacing "stylesheet from which" with
        "stylesheet using which". That is closer to what I think the editors mean.

        > Someone with a good heart help me.....
        >
        > I believe it to mean
        > Formatting interprets the result tree in its formatting object
        > form......(with Formating objects in the the result tree) .....
        > to product the presentation intended by the designer of the
        > spreedsheet.......it all goes to hell after this point :-)....

        BTW when writing out the sentence you replace "produce" with "product" which
        makes it worse. :)

        LOL ... I have just scrubbed the reply I was about to make. I thought I had
        cracked it, but then it slipped through my fingers. :) Proves your point I
        guess. It's a horrible sentence. :)

        My attempt at a better version:

        "Formatting is the final step of a multi-step process. The first step is the
        production of an XML element and attribute tree (also known as a "result
        tree"), using an XSL style sheet and XML source document. The result tree is
        "objectified" into a tree in the XSL-FO Namespace. Formatting is the process
        of interpreting the result tree (the XML element and attribute tree), in its
        formatting object form, into a display [or visual presentation].".

        Just my $0.02.

        I would also say that for the XSL editors to attempt to equate the
        "intention" of the designer with the actual process of
        formatting/presentation is unwise. That only applies if the designer
        correctly writes a stylesheet to actually produce the result.

        In addition there is a further background suspicion I have (but haven't yet
        had time to look at properly) - that the term "formatting" is being used in
        more than one sense in the XSL-FO CR.

        > Help....
        > Robert A. DiBlasi

        I hope that's clearer. BTW if you look at the diagram a little later in
        Section 1.1.2 that might help you visualise it.

        I have copied this reply to the XSL-editors at W3C. Hopefully they will take
        the problems with this sentence into account when further drafting/editing
        takes place. And if we have both failed to understand the meaning that is
        intended they may, hopefully, provide a response which can be posted on list.

        Andrew Watt
      • r_diblasi@hotmail.com
        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 16, 2001
          Hello Andrew,

          Amen.....
          I believe your "crack" at the concept that was trying to be
          explained in the XSL spec is much clearer.

          I still think that the uses of "result tree" (XSLT term I
          believe) and "element and attribute tree" can cause trouble if used
          loosely....

          I'm still having trouble with a phrase that is used:
          "Tree transformation constructs the result tree. In XSL,
          this tree is called the element and attribute tree, with objects
          primarily in the "formatting object" namespace."

          "with objects primarily in the "formatting object" namespace."????

          What is the spec trying to say????

          As far as I under stand XSL I read so far is:
          (This may not be correct please feel free to pick at :-)

          (tree transformation) the source document is checked by the XSLT
          namespace for "patterns". If a "pattern" is
          found in the source content it is said
          to "match" the XSLT namespace. The XSLT
          namespace checks to see what should happen if
          a "match" has occurred...by looking at its
          Template. The template is a tree fragment. So,
          as pattern are found in the source document
          that match the XSLT namespace, tree fragments
          are produced. the production is called the
          "result tree".

          As the "result tree" is being produced is now
          Processed by XSL namespace. The "result tree" is
          now called the "element and attribute tree".
          When a pattern is the "element and attribute
          tree matches the XSL namespace a Formatting
          Object (fo)is inserted into the "element and
          attribute tree". the tree that is produced by
          this process is called the "formatted Object
          tree"

          .........I'll stop here before I make much of a fool of myself :-)

          well.....any comments would be great....
          correction to the above welcomed.....

          sorry for the long post....
          Robert A. DiBlasi

        • AndrewWatt2001@aol.com
          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 16, 2001
            In a message dated 16/01/01 19:14:49 GMT Standard Time, r_diblasi@...
            writes:

            > "with objects primarily in the "formatting object" namespace."????
            >
            > What is the spec trying to say????

            Robert,

            Due to time constraints I will respond only to this question at present.

            The XSL-FO spec uses three terms (as I read it) for the same thing - in each
            case the namespace URI is http://www.w3.org/1999/XSL/Format.

            The spec, as I recall, uses three terms each of which appears to me to refer
            to that same namespace URI and therefore mean the same.

            The three terms are:

            1. XSL Namespace
            2. "fo" namespace
            3. "formatting objects" namespace

            I am doing all this from memory so forgive me if I slip up on a word or two.

            The spec also goes on to refer to "the" XSL Namespace.

            But there are, in fact, two "XSL" Namespaces. XSL consists of both XSLT and
            XSL-FO. The CR needs to edited more tightly in my opinion to reflect that
            reality.

            There is (my terms)
            1. An XSLT namespace for which the namespace URI is
            http://www.w3.org/1999/XSL/Transform
            and
            2. An XSL-FO namespace for which the namespace URI is
            http://www.w3.org/1999/XSL/Format.

            Since both XSLT and XSL-FO **together** constitute "XSL" we have two distinct
            "XSL" namespaces with the respective namespace URIs which I have just given.

            In my view the XSL spec editors need to take that on board and introduce
            greater precision and consistency in the use of terms.

            I posted on another list recently about a related issue. I will try to dig
            that out and post it within the next hour or two.

            Andrew Watt
          • r_diblasi@hotmail.com
            Message 5 of 6 , Jan 16, 2001
              Hello Chris,

              Bingo....
              That is what I was looking for...a simple, boiled down, no
              nonsence, explanation......I hope thats what we are are looking for!!

              nice touch....adding the SVG namespace :-)

              thanks for your comment
              Robert A. DiBlasi

              --- In XSL-FO@egroups.com, "Chris Ryland" <cpr@e...> wrote:

              I think all it's trying to say is that, after tree transformation by
              XLST, the resulting tree is mostly FO objects (with the possibility
              of other namespace objects, such as SVG).

              Cheers!
              Chris Ryland * Em Software, Inc. * www.emsoftware.com

            • Chris Ryland
              Message 6 of 6 , Jan 16, 2001