Re: [XSL-FO] use of fo: namespace

  • AndrewWatt2001@aol.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 15, 2001
      In a message dated 15/01/01 18:14:28 GMT Standard Time, hgazdik@...
      writes:

      > I am trying to use the xmlns:fo="http://www.w3.org/1999/XSL/Format"
      > in my stylesheet to transform to HTML pages.
      > Is this possible at this point?? I am using the latest msxml3.dll.
      > I am also going to try and use this for ordered lists and items..
      > As of right now I am using a template for the emphasis tags:
      > <xsl:template match="EMPHASIS">
      >
      > <xsl:apply-templates/>
      >
      > </xsl:template>
      > But would like to use:
      > <xsl:template match="EMPHASIS">
      > <fo:inline-sequence font-weight="bold">
      > <xsl:apply-templates/>
      > </fo:inline-sequence>
      > </xsl:template>
      >

      > I appreciate any help,
      > Heather Gazdik

      Heather,

      I am not entirely sure what you are asking. I think what you are saying is
      that you have an XML source document, you want to transform it to HTML and to
      display it with emphasis on particular qualifying terms and had been trying
      to use/incorporate XSL-FO.

      Could you please use plain text when posting? I think your mail editor is set
      to send HTML and that gets terribly mangled by the time it gets to this end.

      OK ... to try and answer your question.

      To the best of my knowledge there is no browser which can display XSL-FO
      mixed with HTML/XHTML. I may be wrong here because I know lots of people are
      working on new tools. As of now I don't know of any such browser/viewer.

      Assuming I am correct on the absence of such viewer then you can't do it
      (yet).

      You could get the appearance you wanted with XSLT to create the HTML/XHTML
      and CSS to provide the emphasis on certain elements. Simply apply an XSLT
      template to contain the content of what I am calling the <qualifier> element
      in HTML tags.

      If you only want to style XML on the web then CSS (despite browser
      inconsistencies in implementation) will do quite a lot of what you need, when
      combined with XSLT to produce HTML/XHTML.

      Alternatively, you could style your XML source directly but that limits your
      options at present - essentially to use on IE5.

      Let's say you wanted to have the output which includes

      <qualifier>non-obstructive</qualifier>

      then you could achieve the kind of appearance you are seeking by using a CSS
      which include the following rule:

      qualifier {font-weight:bold;}

      assuming you already have font family and font size appropriately set for the
      containing text/elements.

      I hope that helps.

      Andrew Watt